Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

IMG_5602.jpeg

This was new to me — apologies if it’s already been posted/noted here.

I can't decide if this is a compliment or a scathing review! (Of course, Tim's coffee is cheap and there are trade-offs between cheap and taste. Being a (long-ago) Ulster protestant the cheapness DOES attract me!))
There is a trade-off - but it seems perverse that McDonald's can pull off far better coffee (at least since they changed it over 15 years ago) than Tim's.

There is a trade-off - but it seems perverse that McDonald's can pull off far better coffee (at least since they changed it over 15 years ago) than Tim's.
I heard RBI changed suppliers for Tim's coffee, and McDonald's signed with Tim's former supplier. I find Tim's coffee to be ungood, and McDonald's slightly better. Damning with faith praise, I suppose

I heard RBI changed suppliers for Tim's coffee, and McDonald's signed with Tim's former supplier. I find Tim's coffee to be ungood, and McDonald's slightly better. Damning with faith praise, I suppose
I said far better - I didn't say godly. But when I'm getting tired driving, and I pull off, and there's both a Timmies and a McDonalds, I do put my faith in the McDonalds.

Reactions: PL1
A lot of places have printed maps, and this one is only a single page
Would be nice if they had a pdf version of this on their website. And they should expire links to their old maps. If I google Union station map in incognito, there's a 2019 map from City of Toronto, and even Union's own map is from 2022 for the first two results.

The moat doors from the subway to the Bay concourse are inadequate...
Firstly, this morning (not early) the door I tried was locked "southbound" (a "northbound" commuter opened the door). This has happened to me once before.
Secondly, these doors are way too heavy and complicated for the amount of traffic they handle.
Have revolving doors fallen out of fashion?

Firstly, this morning (not early) the door I tried was locked "southbound" (a "northbound" commuter opened the door). This has happened to me once before.
Secondly, these doors are way too heavy and complicated for the amount of traffic they handle.
Or they should hold those doors open especially during rush hour. Eglinton has the same issue with only two sets of double doors at the north entrance

No revolving doors are not out of fashion.

Saw this discussion, and sent a message to a major installer of door systems (a friend) and asked for his take.

The answer amounted to this.

All other things being equal; Sliding doors will give you higher capacity throughput than revolving doors.

Double-swing doors (push in both directions) also produce higher capacity vs push-pull designs, though may lead to greater conflict with 2-way traffic. (most people don't expect this door-type. )

Revolving doors achieve slightly better flow management and much better energy efficiency with an outside environment, but have a lower flow rate, in most cases, vs the above door systems; though there are higher capacity models.

If the doors could be left open during open hours, a folding door system may be preferable, as it can completely open and once opened, it's folded away, so there is no need to 'hold' it open. This design, at Union would likely require significant structural changes. (wall removal/alteration).

No revolving doors are not out of fashion.

Saw this discussion, and sent a message to a major installer of door systems (a friend) and asked for his take.

The answer amounted to this.

All other things being equal; Sliding doors will give you higher capacity throughput than revolving doors.

Double-swing doors (push in both directions) also produce higher capacity vs push-pull designs, though may lead to greater conflict with 2-way traffic. (most people don't expect this door-type. )

Revolving doors achieve slightly better flow management and much better energy efficiency with an outside environment, but have a lower flow rate, in most cases, vs the above door systems; though there are higher capacity models.

If the doors could be left open during open hours, a folding door system may be preferable, as it can completely open and once opened, it's folded away, so there is no need to 'hold' it open. This design, at Union would likely require significant structural changes. (wall removal/alteration).
There is one other option.

There are self-latching doors that, when coupled with motion sensors, will hold doors open so long as they sense someone approaching them from either direction.

They have been used to great effect to access the teamways at both ends. One wonders why they were not installed here.

Dan

Back