Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

They are indeed working on the copper roof, as best they can with the weather. I think they have to have a pretty dry environment to do their work. Without going back too far, I have a few pictures from the L Tower.

January 2nd

IMG_2923.jpg

December 14th

IMG_1753.jpg

December 9th

IMG_1019.jpg

December 7th

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

They are indeed working on the copper roof, as best they can with the weather. I think they have to have a pretty dry environment to do their work. Without going back too far, I have a few pictures from the L Tower.

Looks slick! Thanks for the pics! It'll be quite the barrage of gold/copper colour from above in the afternoon when Union's roof and RBC's glass are reflecting at the same time. That whole area is going to have an aura around it.

Will the copper be treated to stay this colour, or will it be allowed to tarnish? I ask because I saw an outlet store development in Windsor where their copper had not tarnished--and it has been there a while.

It does not appear they will try to keep the copper from turning green like it used to be. They would have to clean it and treat it the same day judging by how quickly it oxidizes. It’s also a very large roof to try and maintain that pretty sparkle.

January 08

IMG_0216_13.jpg

The RBC reflection is very cool for lack of a better expression.

Jan 10

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

It seems to crank it up for The Southcore Financial Tower across the tracks, to the point of opposing shadows. (December 13th pic)

Thanks for the pic sMT - the south entrance is truly unfortunate in the lack of presence, reducing a monumental structure in the heart of the city to a rabbit-hole - and I suppose it is the perfect metaphor of the evolution (devolution) in the perception of public infrastructure investments.

AoD

I disagree Alvin! I think that a monumental structure isn't necessary at all here. The city is the monument and the station is the frame. The clean modern low-to-the-ground approach works well here and perfectly frames the skyline. Instead of entering Union Station you enter Toronto. The 1927 Union Station building is enough of a monument when viewed from the north, and having it there made sense because there was nothing but a slimy lake to the south when it was built. I am quite pleased that they went squat with this project. I want tourists that visit the Air Canada Centre to see the city when they enter Union from MLS, not some massive train shed.

I disagree Alvin! I think that a monumental structure isn't necessary at all here. The city is the monument and the station is the frame. The clean modern low-to-the-ground approach works well here and perfectly frames the skyline. Instead of entering Union Station you enter Toronto. The 1927 Union Station building is enough of a monument when viewed from the north, and having it there made sense because there was nothing but a slimy lake to the south when it was built. I am quite pleased that they went squat with this project. I want tourists that visit the Air Canada Centre to see the city when they enter Union from MLS, not some massive train shed.

150% agree!

It's also still a construction zone. Why spend the time and money on improvements you'll have to do over again in a year or two?

Thanks for the pic sMT - the south entrance is truly unfortunate in the lack of presence, reducing a monumental structure in the heart of the city to a rabbit-hole - and I suppose it is the perfect metaphor of the evolution (devolution) in the perception of public infrastructure investments.

AoD

I think it is way better than the old south entrance and very much in keeping with its surroundings.

I don't mind the demure external south entrance at all. What gets to me is the rabbit-hole within: You get led down a twisty, dank little path. But my understanding is that the renovation will open a new path - er, PATH - from the south entrance to the station proper?

I don't mind the demure external south entrance at all. What gets to me is the rabbit-hole within: You get led down a twisty, dank little path. But my understanding is that the renovation will open a new path - er, PATH - from the south entrance to the station proper?

Yep, GO will have a new west York Concourse that will mirror the renovated existing Bay Concourse. The south entrance will lead right into the York Concourse.

Back