Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I have wondered if the decision to leave the sides of the roof intact is related to keeping future development options open?

I have wondered if the decision to leave the sides of the roof intact is related to keeping future development options open?

The development is much more likely to happen over top of the open sections of track leading into Union (like the recent Oxford proposal).

They sure are taking their time with the shed. It seems the glass table is moving much quicker now but the progress on the rest of the shed is sad. Hopefully the real light grey seen on track 11 and 12 for the metal supports of the old shed will be applied throughout as that will really brighten things up. It blows my mind that things haven't moved on to track 9 and 10 yet.

They sure are taking their time with the shed. It seems the glass table is moving much quicker now but the progress on the rest of the shed is sad. Hopefully the real light grey seen on track 11 and 12 for the metal supports of the old shed will be applied throughout as that will really brighten things up. It blows my mind that things haven't moved on to track 9 and 10 yet.

I would suspect that they would want to get at least the structure of the new roof up before they substantially started on the shed, if nothing else to reduce the impact on the platforms. Confining the construction to only certain parts of the platforms is much less disruptive than doing the whole platform at once. But that's just a guess.

I too am anxious to see what the refurbished shed will look like, and to see if it's actually worth preserving.

I would suspect that they would want to get at least the structure of the new roof up before they substantially started on the shed, if nothing else to reduce the impact on the platforms. Confining the construction to only certain parts of the platforms is much less disruptive than doing the whole platform at once. But that's just a guess.

I too am anxious to see what the refurbished shed will look like, and to see if it's actually worth preserving.

The installing of the new Atrium was supposed to coincide with the refurbishment of the trainshed on those tracks.

I say supposed to, because quite a while ago GO realized that the refurbishment was taking a hell of a lot longer than they had originally envisioned it taking. They have since separated the two projects, and so while the Atrium will be finished in 2014, the refurbishment may take until late 2016 or later still.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The installing of the new Atrium was supposed to coincide with the refurbishment of the trainshed on those tracks.

I say supposed to, because quite a while ago GO realized that the refurbishment was taking a hell of a lot longer than they had originally envisioned it taking. They have since separated the two projects, and so while the Atrium will be finished in 2014, the refurbishment may take until late 2016 or later still.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Are platforms for GO and VIA trains to remain low-floor? I thought they would re-construct the platforms into high-floor (as you see in Europe and in Montreal), but there might be some limitations preventing the upgrade? To me, these high platforms are incredibly convenient and, to some extent, a sign of a big city...

The main limitation is GO Transit's fleet of coaches, all designed to be low-floor. They would have to completely re-equip and rebuild every station on the network to be high-floor respectively.

I see; I thought GO coaches can handle both low and high floor... Thanks for the info. How about VIA platforms? Are they to remain low as well? VIA coaches can handle both types of platforms.

Last edited:
I see; I thought GO coaches can handle both low and high floor... Thanks for the info. How about VIA platforms? Are they to remain low as well? VIA coaches can handle both types of platforms.

I would imagine they would remain as they are in case GO needs to use a VIA platform.

The main limitation is GO Transit's fleet of coaches, all designed to be low-floor. They would have to completely re-equip and rebuild every station on the network to be high-floor respectively.

Bi-level cars can have the doors at the ends for use on high-floor platforms, but that would require them to be rebuilt. I suppose if you saw a need you could do it one line at a time, though I don't know how you would handle the transition on something as complicated as the Lakeshore line.

Also, if you were going to go to that trouble you might want to address the width of the platforms at Union. Some people have criticized the station refurbishment for not going far enough on that front. However it is difficult since IIRC the tracks are supported by regularly-spaced columns.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

2016 or later? Yikes!

Back