Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This spring, megabus will be moving its operations to the new Union Station Bus Terminal in downtown Toronto. Read on to get all the details and a preview of the first megabuses rolling into their new home.

This spring marks a milestone for transit riders in the GTA, as GO Transit and megabus move in together at the Union Station Bus Terminal (USBT).

Megabus will start doing test runs this month before officially making the big move to the new USBT on June 8. Megabus is the first major third-party carrier to move into the new downtown bus terminal.

With megabus trips operating out of the new bus terminal located on the northeast corner of Bay Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, travellers can look forward to more seamless connections within and beyond the GTHA right from Union Station.
I wonder what effects this might have on their operations. On peak days at the coach terminal, they seem to overbook every timeslot and add filler buses to satiate demand- of course leading to long lines and wait times. Maybe the airport gate style will encourage them to bring the bus into the bay only when it’s needed?

Those transit modal icons really don't work that well - they are too similar to be immediately distinguishable.
Which is probably why the Metrolinx standard doesn't use a CLRV icon for streetcar and MP40 locomotive for trains. But the standards book is just there to tell you about what is optimal based on research, international standard or common understanding, visibility, and thought, whereas obviously these signs are real signs, not imaginary signs found in the standards book.

Isn't this a big deal? Can something like this be added for TTC streetcars and subway or are they to frequent to be added?
They have them in most sations now in at least one or two locations by the bus platforms . The subway runs so frequently I don't think they see a reason to show more than when the next train will arrive. Like for example if you are on the platfomn do you really need to know when the next three trains are coming?

Reactions: DSC
They have them in most sations now in at least one or two locations by the bus platforms . The subway runs so frequently I don't think they see a reason to show more than when the next train will arrive. Like for example if you are on the platfomn do you really need to know when the next three trains are coming?

I'm going to take a contrary position here.

I've been on the subway lots of times when there are large service gaps of 7-10 minutes with no posted delay.

I dislike crowded trains in normal times, but in a time of pandemic may be more inclined to take a pass on one I deem overcrowded.

But if the time to the next train is 10 minutes, the next one will likely be just as bad; where if it were 2 minutes, one might reasonably assume a less crowded train will follow.

I like having the information; I don't think it's the world's biggest priority, but it's a very low-cost convenience to riders.

They do this in London, UK. The platforms have digital signs indicating the destination and times of the next 3 trains. In some cases they even have multiple lines on the same sign serving the same platform.

They do this in London, UK. The platforms have digital signs indicating the destination and times of the next 3 trains. In some cases they even have multiple lines on the same sign serving the same platform.
We dont have to go that far, we do it here as well on TYSSE stations on the University line. Of course we dont have multiple lines serving the same stations though

I'm going to take a contrary position here.

I've been on the subway lots of times when there are large service gaps of 7-10 minutes with no posted delay.

I dislike crowded trains in normal times, but in a time of pandemic may be more inclined to take a pass on one I deem overcrowded.

But if the time to the next train is 10 minutes, the next one will likely be just as bad; where if it were 2 minutes, one might reasonably assume a less crowded train will follow.

I like having the information; I don't think it's the world's biggest priority, but it's a very low-cost convenience to riders.
Agreed.

This is the norm in Chicago. The L train has the next several train departure times listed before you pay your fare. I can't understand why the TTC still does not offer similar.

Agreed.

This is the norm in Chicago. The L train has the next several train departure times listed before you pay your fare. I can't understand why the TTC still does not offer similar.

Beyond that they need a more meaningful system for determining arrival time - the current distanced based system is fairly inaccurate. Hope Line 1 will be better once the lines goes full ATC.

AoD

Agreed.

On many L lines for most of the day you've got time for a soup and sandwich between trains.

I agree, TTC should post delays at the entrance, but posting next train times (anything under 3 minutes) would result in too many customers rushing on the stairs since the next train is usually soon.

On many L lines for most of the day you've got time for a soup and sandwich between trains.

I agree, TTC should post delays at the entrance, but posting next train times (anything under 3 minutes) would result in too many customers rushing on the stairs since the next train is usually soon.
When I lived in Montreal everyone ran for trains because they came fairly infrequently. When we moved here (20 years ago) it took us a while to realise that service in Toronto was MUCH more frequent and running was not worthwhile. Maybe because I am now older (!!), I am not sure if having next-train-arrival times would get me running again.

Agreed.

Both of these examples have mutiple lines stopping at the same station thus sopmeome would need to know. For example in London the next circle line train is or district or whatever other line is topping at the station. In Chicago in the loop are there are sometimes four different routes that serve a station so having signs showing which trains are coming after the one on its way makes sense. In Toronto, it doesn't really make much sense as trains are usually only about 3 to 5 minutes a part depending on the time of the day and we don't interline.

Both of these examples have mutiple lines stopping at the same station thus sopmeome would need to know. For example in London the next circle line train is or district or whatever other line is topping at the station. In Chicago in the loop are there are sometimes four different routes that serve a station so having signs showing which trains are coming after the one on its way makes sense. In Toronto, it doesn't really make much sense as trains are usually only about 3 to 5 minutes a part depending on the time of the day and we don't interline.
I can't 100% remember, but I think Chicago even does it at stations served only by a single line.

I'm just annoyed because I've lost count the number of times I've paid my TTC fare and something goes wrong on the line... Results in me waiting 30+ mins for them to figure things out. Will there be a shuttle bus? Will the train resume travel? In some cases I could have walked to my destination faster.

I'd like more transparency with estimated arrivals above the turnstiles. Someone said it would cause people to rush, but I actually don't think it would normally be the case. If the TTC is as frequent as everyone says, I think seeing that the next trains are only a couple of minutes away would get people to slow down and take a breather. What gets me to rush is the *not knowing* if there's some sort of catastrophic delay coming down the line.

I can't 100% remember, but I think Chicago even does it at stations served only by a single line.

I'm just annoyed because I've lost count the number of times I've paid my TTC fare and something goes wrong on the line... Results in me waiting 30+ mins for them to figure things out. Will there be a shuttle bus? Will the train resume travel? In some cases I could have walked to my destination faster.

I'd like more transparency with estimated arrivals above the turnstiles. Someone said it would cause people to rush, but I actually don't think it would normally be the case. If the TTC is as frequent as everyone says, I think seeing that the next trains are only a couple of minutes away would get people to slow down and take a breather. What gets me to rush is the *not knowing* if there's some sort of catastrophic delay coming down the line.
Agreed, having signage visible from OUTSIDE the fare paid zone in subway stations warning of breakdowns or shut-downs would be good but the number of these is really not large (though certainly annoying if one is caught in one!)

I normally check TTC's twitter handle before I even step underground. Good way to know if you should try an alternate route.

Back