Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The GO train system was conceived as the replacement for the cancelled highways. With the ongoing GO expansion it will finally become something resembling mass transit.
I mean, within Metro Toronto. I found a preview to the source for this, but unfortunately, I can't get at it. Note the transit oriented plan.
1620576982927.png

I mean, within Metro Toronto. I found a preview to the source for this, but unfortunately, I can't get at it. Note the transit oriented plan. View attachment 318229
Well the highways they were planning at the time weren't designed to be all that useful for the 416 either, so a suburban-oriented train system having the same focus isn't surprising. But that's why I mentioned GO expansion that's happening now. It will be a game changer for the 416.

I walked through Union recently and saw virtually no construction; throughout the COVID-19 situation I have seen extremes in work activity, it makes it hard to determine what progress is being made. It does seem like after having cleared out the boarded-off sections in the Bay Concourse, they have been repopulated with some construction materials however not much beyond what has already been mentioned here seems visible. It is a shame, as some of the renovations are just excellent.

Really sorry to read that. This Work From Home in the pandemic made it a golden opportunity to quickly rush and finish off construction because less need of accommodating commuters. But these guys have done the opposite.

Really sorry to read that. This Work From Home in the pandemic made it a golden opportunity to quickly rush and finish off construction because less need of accommodating commuters. But these guys have done the opposite.

Somehow I don't think provincial restrictions is the issue here:

Permitted construction activities include:

Construction activities or projects and related services, including land surveying and demolition services, that,
(a)
are associated with the health care sector or long-term care, including new facilities, expansions, renovations and conversion of spaces that could be repurposed for health care space;
(b) ensure safe and reliable operations of, or provide new capacity in,
(i) municipal infrastructure, or
(ii) provincial infrastructure, including but not limited to, the transit, transportation, resource, energy and justice sectors;

AoD

I agree it would be good to get more stuff finished but think that what is happening now is primarily the 'fitting out' by GO/Metrolinx and Osmington (the main lease holder of the commercial parts) the amount of 'real' construction is quite limited. With such low pedestrian traffic I doubt GO want to open the Bay concourse and doubt Osmington is doing well sub-leasing its parts either. Until the commercial spaces are leased we will see no work there as the sub-leasee will want to do it their way. They have been fixing broken granite tiles on the Front St Plaza but still no sign of them painting the ceiling of the Front St Passageway - one day!! Similarily, the flooring repair and lighting in Great Hall.

I agree it would be good to get more stuff finished but think that what is happening now is primarily the 'fitting out' by GO/Metrolinx and Osmington (the main lease holder of the commercial parts) the amount of 'real' construction is quite limited. With such low pedestrian traffic I doubt GO want to open the Bay concourse and doubt Osmington is doing well sub-leasing its parts either. Until the commercial spaces are leased we will see no work there as the sub-leasee will want to do it their way. They have been fixing broken granite tiles on the Front St Plaza but still no sign of them painting the ceiling of the Front St Passageway - one day!! Similarily, the flooring repair and lighting in Great Hall.

There is so................no excuse for the painting............

Changing out the Great Hall lighting is at least a bit of effort.

Sigh....

It's enough to make one as cynical as @Amare

LOL

There is so................no excuse for the painting............

Changing out the Great Hall lighting is at least a bit of effort.

Sigh....

It's enough to make one as cynical as @Amare

LOL
I agree the painting is long overdue but they were pulling wires through it a few weeks ago so it does make sense to complete all above-ceiling work first.

About 3 years ago they advertised for new Great Hall lighting fixtures but then cancelled it. They are not simply putting in a few new bulbs so $$$ are involved but I was told quite recently by the heritage architects that 'it's coming".

Nothing surprises me with the Union Station project anymore.

I expect all aspects be fully completed by 2050, so i've just accepted we'll see never ending construction until then with various unfinished aspects of the structure until then ;)

Back