Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I heard a few nights ago that the New Air Link will be house in its own enclosed waiting track area. When the trains arrived, both the door to the enclosure for the train will open, as well the doors to the waiting area.

Had a talked with a BOD member of Metrolinx a night later and they had not heard about the enclosed area for the track.

We know there will be a new waiting room for the ARL, but have never heard of the track area.

I see they have removed the concrete events over the tracks and have used metal roofing edge trim at the the roof area only.

I see they have removed the concrete events over the tracks and have used metal roofing edge trim at the the roof area only.

That's because in many places the vents had either collapsed, or where in danger of it. They will be replaced as part of the reconstruction of the roof.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was reminded last weekend how beautiful Washington's Union Station is and of course NY Grand Central Station. Does anyone have any sense as to how our completed Union Station will compare to other North American train stations in terms of historic grandeur and the revitalization overlay?

Where will it rank?

buildup:

The Great Hall (various other parts of the heritage structure and the building exterior) will be cleaned and restored to more or less its' historical condition - the project really wasn't meant to put in additional components that would significantly enhance the pre-existing (though degraded) grandeur, though the scale of the existing space doesn't quite compare to Grand Central or Union Station in DC. On the other hand, it would arguably rank as one of the top hubs by usage in North America.

AoD

Last edited:
Thank you.

I dropped by the new First Class lounge today. Very fine restoration, the marble is exceptional.

The one area I am a bit concerned about is the VIA concourse - my understanding is that there won't be dramatic improvements for that space due to the heritage designation.

AoD

One thing I've always found about the Great Hall is that despite having the huge windows on either side, it's always been pretty dark, Maybe it needs chandeliers like Grand Central or Washington? Or the windows need to be more open to allow more natural light in?

May 24
More up on site
7299092558_3db629b691_b.jpg

7299127208_281a658815_b.jpg

7299115026_5060e1eec3_b.jpg

7299095978_efae0d647e_b.jpg

7299108030_0caf00e43a_b.jpg

Due to the flood, the Royal Bank Plaza portion of the PATH is closed. There is a security guy at the south end of the TD Centre PATH telling people to go to street level if they want to go any further south (although people working in the TD Waterhouse Tower are allowed to go underground to that building).

Yonge subway turning around at Bloor. Should be a fun commute home tonight with all the people trudging up to Bloor in the rain.

GO has this warning:

UNION STATION:
. The heavy rains today have caused some flooding in the GO Transit
concourse at Union Station. GO Train and Bus services are
unaffected and continue to operate on schedule. The doorways from
Bay St. into the concourse are closed, however we encourage
passengers to consider using the stairwells from York and Bay streets
leading directly to the platforms.

Back