Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

They still need to get rid of that paper hanging down from the bottom of the concourse level and remove the two frames still sitting over the north escalators...

are the spots with gravel slated to become retail units? Perhaps they're half-finished because tenants will get to customize their flooring a bit?

Side note: Many of the Front Street promenade shops have weird mishmash of previous flooring.

The "other" Via side-hallway was opened to the public yesterday. Speaker aren't mounted, cameras still have the plastic wrap on them and the side showrooms (?, pet display case, ????) are still very under construction. One the bright side, all the new lights are up and no one uses it as it's only really accessible from the ends.

Like, the hall beside the VIA concourse that goes down to the lower level Arrivals area?

If we go back to this old pic, the one to the right of the pink Via concourse

york-concourse-platform-3-food-png.137876

Hey, I stole this picture first. Go steal the original!

That's my stolen copy of my stolen copy. :p

Back on topic they've switched traffic for Via hallways. They shut down the entrances from sub-Great Hall to left hallway and are forcing people into the right hallway.

This suggests to me that hoarding will be going up in the hallway between telus and union which could impact access to the york concourse. This could explain why the lower levels appear to be opening soon. To give access to york concourse

Am I the only one who feels that the two main diagrams for the "two" levels of Union Station is kind of confusing? If you actually walked around Union Station, you'd feel that two levels doesn't represent it correctly and should be more like 3 or 4 levels (excluding platform level). Most notably that the York Promenade is shown to be at the same level as the Food Court and the West Wing is at the same level as the York Concourse, both of which are definitely not the case. Same with the Great Hall and the VIA Concourse. And yes, the ramp connection(s) are considered different levels.

The diagrams I'm referring to are:
detailed upper.jpg

detailed lower.jpg

and

simple upper.png

simple lower.png

Attachments

• detailed lower.jpg
    detailed lower.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2,059
  • detailed upper.jpg
    detailed upper.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 4,293
  • simple lower.png
    simple lower.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 2,561
  • simple upper.png
    simple upper.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 3,871
Am I the only one who feels that the two main diagrams for the "two" levels of Union Station is kind of confusing? If you actually walked around Union Station, you'd feel that two levels doesn't represent it correctly and should be more like 3 or 4 levels (excluding platform level). Most notably that the York Promenade is shown to be at the same level as the Food Court and the West Wing is at the same level as the York Concourse, both of which are definitely not the case. Same with the Great Hall and the VIA Concourse. And yes, the ramp connection(s) are considered different levels.

Yes, the drawings ARE a bit confusing but the whole layout is confusing and more so at the moment because many future (or past) pathways are not open or blocked. From a wayfinding perspective the simple plans they have in various locations - like the lower ones you posted - are probably quite effective. Are you really suggesting 3 or 4 plans for public wayfinding? If so I think that would confuse more than it would help.

Yes, the drawings ARE a bit confusing but the whole layout is confusing and more so at the moment because many future (or past) pathways are not open or blocked. From a wayfinding perspective the simple plans they have in various locations - like the lower ones you posted - are probably quite effective. Are you really suggesting 3 or 4 plans for public wayfinding? If so I think that would confuse more than it would help.
3D maps could work too. Of course to get the most out of it, it would have to be shown on touch screens instead of plastic and paper boards.

The good news keep on coming today...
Request for Proposals Issued for Union Station Enhancement Project

TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to two prequalified teams to design, build and finance the Union Station Enhancement project. Infrastructure upgrades are required to help accommodate increased capacity as part of the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service, which links into Union Station as the major transit hub in the City of Toronto.

Teams were selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Qualifications process. Selection criteria included applicable design, construction experience and capacity to finance a project of this size and complexity.

The prequalified teams are:

EllisDon Infrastructure Transit

• Constructor: EllisDon Civil Ltd.
  • Designer: AECOM Canada Ltd.
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital
Graham Construction Rail Solutions

• Constructor: Graham Construction & Engineering LP
  • Designer: RJC Engineers
  • Financial Advisor: Graham Capital Partners
Teams invited to respond to the RFP will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will design, build and finance the project. Once submissions are received, IO and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred bidder and then negotiate a final contract. A successful bidder is expected to be announced in winter 2018. A fairness monitor will oversee the entire procurement process.

A copy of the RFP is available at www.infrastructureontario.ca.

The scope of work for the Union Station Enhancement project includes:

• Replacement of four existing tracks and two narrow platforms with two new tracks and two wider platforms
  • Expansion of Platform 24/25
  • Construction of a new covered south platform
  • Protect for level boarding
  • Development of a new contiguous concourse area below, extending from York to Bay Street, providing an east-west functionality through the station.
This work is part of a larger, system-wide plan to improve overall GO Transit service, including the delivery of GO Regional Express Rail. GO RER will provide faster and more frequent service on the GO Transit Rail network with electrification on core segments, including the Union Pearson Express, by 2024-2025. Metrolinx will be undertaking the major infrastructure upgrades required to bring this level of service to communities across the region, including additional track, GO station modifications, improved rail crossings, required systems for electrification, and new locomotives and train control systems to enable more frequent service.

So this will overall provide wide platforms with level boarding for 4 tracks..

I'm really interested to see final service planning for RER and how Metrolinx plans to fit all their services into Union.

Back