Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Wasn't the trainshed built lower to keep cold air away? I can imagine that palatial European transheds would collect a great deal of cold air in winter. If I remember correctly, Windsor Station's platform area was built similarly.

Union Station Toronto: An interesting history...

CDL.TO and Casaguy: Good posts on historical information of Toronto Union Station-always interesting reading to me! Hopefully the renovation improves
what needs to be improved but preserves the history of Canada's busiest rail station...LI MIKE

Were there (big!) billboards on the trainshed roof in the past? Because they seem to be erecting a couple in the southeast corner right now.

I don't recall them being there in the past, but it seems hard to believe that they would be erecting them when a renovation is supposed to be coming soon.

What is the capacity for service at Union Station? I was skimming through the "GO LAKESHORE EXPRESS RAIL BENEFITS CASE ANALYSIS" from Metrolinx, and there is this statement.

Union Station

The capacity improvements envisioned as part of the Lakeshore Express Rail are intended to serve a growing demand, but will also put additional stress on station facilities, particularly at Union Station where the majority of GO passengers disembark and board during the morning and evening peaks, respectively. Significant upgrades will be required at Union Station, beyond those currently underway, to accommodate projected 2031 ridership volumes. The need for increased Union Station capacity will be driven by ridership growth and associated service increases on all GO Transit rail corridors, and are thus beyond the scope of this analysis. A separate, dedicated study of future capacity needs both at Union Station itself and within the Union Station Rail Corridor will be required to determine the most appropriate options for accommodating projected long-term growth at Union Station as a result of passenger growth on all of GO Transit’s rail corridors, in addition to other services using Union Station.

I was wondering if anyone had any figures on how many trains per hour Union can handle, and what the peak hour train figures would be for future forecast volumes (GO, Blue22, Via, Amtrak and Ontario Northland)?

I've been reading with interest the Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities (TRAN) testimonies on high speed rail, but am wondering if Toronto would need a second station to handle the volume of commuter and intercity traffic if a high speed line were ever to get built.

They desperately need to start spreading the load away from Union if they're going to introduce real rapid transit service on all the lines. A station around Cherry and Spadina/Bathurst would help.

I've been reading with interest the Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities (TRAN) testimonies on high speed rail, but am wondering if Toronto would need a second station to handle the volume of commuter and intercity traffic if a high speed line were ever to get built.

In all the plans the VIA section is still quite separate from GO. If anything, the HSR would just add people to the currently underused VIA section of the station. If they got rid of the ridiculous lineups at the platforms an hour in advance, either by letting people up to track level or introducing assigned seating, they could squeeze a lot more people and trains through.

Take VIA Business class.. assigned seating and you get to board ahead of the plebs in line ;) I've sure I've been in economy with assigned seating on certain trains.

Take VIA Business class.. assigned seating and you get to board ahead of the plebs in line ;) I've sure I've been in economy with assigned seating on certain trains.

Oh I have in the past as well, but it's not a regular or common experience.

They've had assigned seating for most of the VIA trips I've taken in the last year - all economy class.

When I took the train to Montreal for Labour Day weekend there was no assigned seating on the way there or the way back.

In addition to some other trains, VIA has seat selection on Trains 40,44 and 46 to Montreal and Trains 41, 641, 47 and 67 from Montreal. They are, VERY slowly, increasing the number of trains with assigned seating. Though one would think that having an assigned seat would reduce the huge queues that build up this does not seem to be the case as the 5pm train to Montreal (which has had assigned seats for ages) always generates huge queues. I realise that VIA can't keep trains sitting in Union Station too long before departure but there really should be a better way to get people on board.

In addition to some other trains, VIA has seat selection on Trains 40,44 and 46 to Montreal and Trains 41, 641, 47 and 67 from Montreal. They are, VERY slowly, increasing the number of trains with assigned seating. Though one would think that having an assigned seat would reduce the huge queues that build up this does not seem to be the case as the 5pm train to Montreal (which has had assigned seats for ages) always generates huge queues. I realise that VIA can't keep trains sitting in Union Station too long before departure but there really should be a better way to get people on board.

This is why I always board at Guildwood.

From the Star:

Union Station reno to chase away gloom
Heritage train shed, platforms getting $196 million makeover
Tess Kalinowski Transportation Reporter
Published On Sat Jan 09 2010

Most GO commuters hopping a train at Union Station wouldn't recognize the blackened, leaky roof over the platforms as a Canadian architectural jewel.

But on Monday, GO Transit begins the mammoth task of transforming one of the city's gloomiest spaces into a light-filled, 21st-century terminus, while preserving the designated heritage features of the 1929 train shed.

The trick will be getting the work done – including construction of a floating glass atrium and green roof features – while keeping commuters on the move.

The makeover will be carried out in 13 stages, phased over five years – at a time when 25 per cent more commuters are expected to use the station, said Mike Wolczyk, director of Union Station Infrastructure.

In Phase 1, hoarding will be installed along the south end of the 2.8-hectare shed, which stretches from York St. to Bay St., covering GO platform 24 and VIA platform 21.

It will take about a month just to install that much hoarding, but work on that section of the roof should be complete by fall.

Meantime, some GO commuters will see minor changes in their usual platforms. The first to be affected will be those on the five morning trains that arrive on platforms 25 and 26.

Riders will no longer be able to disembark from both sides of the train; they will have to exit through the doors on one side, something passengers who land on platform 27 already do every morning.

Although the platforms are narrow, they have many exits down to the GO teamways and concourse, Wolczyk said.

"We're watching that we don't get conflicts between two trains," he said, noting two trains arriving and unloading at the same time would be "problematic."

What passengers won't see behind the hoarding is the demolition of parts of the existing roof and the assembly of the new roof and atrium.

"Because we're going through (the train shed) one slice at a time, we do all the work that has to happen over those two tracks. The atrium gets completely built (that far), and then we move to the next two tracks and do everything in that section," said Wolczyk.

The $196 million train shed renovation is part of a $640 million makeover of the station that GO is sharing with the city and the TTC.

The three parties are coordinating to try to minimize the inconvenience to the 200,000 people who use the station daily.

The city has already restored the west-side pedestrian bridge. The east side is underway and should be completed by spring.

On the east wing, crews are investigating the condition of the stonework and mortar. But most city construction doesn't start till spring.

The TTC will also start work this summer on a second subway platform at Union and on improvements to the mezzanine level. Those projects are expected to take about three years and cost about $137.5 million, said spokesman Brad Ross.

Later in the year, the south side of Front St. will be dug up in order to build the new subway platform, which will be wider to ease the surge of traffic currently handled by just one.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...48483--union-station-reno-to-chase-away-gloom

AoD

Very Interesting what they're going to do.

Question, is there a thread on whats going to happen with the TTC's Union Station? I can't seem to find one...

Last edited:

Back