Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

(Grumble of the Day)

Am I the only one who finds this choice of colour odd for both TTC and Union Station?

Maybe up at Rosedale, but.....not the colour I would look. Doesn't match any of the Union Reno.

- Paul
20180311 TTC Union.jpg

Attachments

• 20180311 TTC Union.jpg
    20180311 TTC Union.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 536
(Grumble of the Day)

Am I the only one who finds this choice of colour odd for both TTC and Union Station?

Maybe up at Rosedale, but.....not the colour I would look. Doesn't match any of the Union Reno.

- Paul
In the real world it does not look so azure blue (neither do the windows of the building to the west of York) and one DOES want the TTC entrances to stand out.

In the real world it does not look so azure blue (neither do the windows of the building to the west of York) and one DOES want the TTC entrances to stand out.

Well, that’s the thing. Show me one other place in Toronto where pale blue-green marks a subway entrance. I would have expected red, or red/white, or (traditionally speaking) red/cream. This is a common hipster architecture consultant colour, but so removed from the usual TTC colour palette. I find it odd that this exception was made.

- Paul

I believe it was actually bright white at night when first installed (kind of like the Eaton Centre H&M). People complained it was way too bright, so they installed the current panels.

Union is really starting to be what it should be, every time I've been in there recently the restaurants have looked quite busy and it seems like they are adding nice new touches every week. Now my question is what is the next station to become a Union-like hub in terms of offering more food options etc. I feel like Mount Dennis has potential as well as Kennedy.
You are right. Mount Dennis and Kennedy have potential. How about Yonge-Eglinton, Bloor-Yonge and Dundas West with the connection to Bloor GO? Remember that with a 2 hour timed transfer, you can go home up Line 1, grab a pint at Yonge and Eglinton and then get back on Line 5 and go home to say Don Mills all on one fare. That will facilitate the behaviour of “stopping off” which you are referring to. I think Yonge-Eglinton will be huge.

I'm an unapologetic foodie and have fallen in love w/the Danish Pastry Shop...

That place is soooo friggin cute! I went in there today and bought a cinnamon loaf. I love it. I don't eat much in the way of anything with sugar in it, but I will be making the occasional exception for this place. This cinnamon loaf I bought reminds me of my childhood summers spent in Europe.

I also love dropping by Amano for an espresso when I'm going through the station.

Union is going to be the dog's bollocks when it's done (minus train shed which is just bollocks)! I'm super stoked.

When I was younger me and my friends would spend good amounts of time at Union on Sunday afternoons after a night out, decompressing (read: being a bit sketchy) and the best we could hope for was a bottle of water, a beef patty, and maybe a pint. I'm bringing back the Union hangouts when it's complete, for sure (minus the, um, Sunday sketch).

Reactions: DSC
I believe it was actually bright white at night when first installed (kind of like the Eaton Centre H&M). People complained it was way too bright, so they installed the current panels.
Complained it was too bright?

Well, I'm glad some people have the easiest life in the history of mankind if their gripes are limited to this!

I miss the docks having rave parties there, I too have been quite sketched out there.
The worst was having to use the washrooms. Glad those got sorted.

We used to spend most of Sunday afternoon there, sipping on gin we had stashed outside the party. It was the place to be to run into friends on a Sunday. The place was actually kind of a dump so we fit right in. Now we're all older and wiser and scattered and less.......adventurous....er, reckless....fun? haha, ah, the good old days of reckless youth!

More notable progress in the Bay Concourse, a lot more HVAC ducting is going up! (Again, I didn't think to take pictures...)

Something else I only just noticed is almost all of the old wiring that has been dangling from the ceiling since reno started has been removed.

Also, the Via side-hallways are finally getting finished up. Some of the permanent light fixtures have been installed (replacing the lovely construction lights), some of the new alcoves are open (though still not finished), the speaker have been installed (though not covered), and they've started installing either the cameras or the WAPs.

(Grumble of the Day)

- Paul
View attachment 137102

Big pet peeve of mine. When these started getting built, I posted a tweet storm about how Union is the TTC’s opportunity for a beautiful subway entrance, taking cues from Parisian or Chicagoan subway entrances but they went with that crap anyway.

Last edited:
Big pet peeve of mine. When they started getting built, I posted a tweet storm about how Union is the TTC’s opportunity for a beautiful subway entrance, taking cues from intake Parisian or Chicagoan subway entrances but they went with that crap anyway.
What would be nice is to have moved the TTC entrance further west so that a connection with the centre entrance of Union Station to the TTC could be made, with 2 other entrances from the 2 Front St moats. It would make the more pleasing to look at (as it is centralized) and potentially better passenger flow from York St. There could be a Brookfield Place type on entrance closer to York St, and people who wanted to go from Union Station Rail and bypass the TTC could just used the "ring paths" to the PATH.
Here's an accurate illustration:
Union Station Sketch.png

Attachments

• Union Station Sketch.png
    Union Station Sketch.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 364
It always struck me as very odd how trashy the bathroom was by Cinnabon yet all pristine in the marble washroom by VIA. I understand one has more traffic, hurt was like the difference of walking from Sherbourne and Queen to Sherbourne and Adelaide.

Back