Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Updated pics of the Bay Concourse.
Very nice! Are you with the construction crew or an invited press / official / related work or agency?

If you aren't a construction worker, they gave you the red carpet -- press credentials?

Great photos, keep them up, we're starving for more!

Unfortunately the platform widths above severely limit access and don't comfortably fit a lot of people on platform level. Perhaps with more frequent but smaller train sizes will help reduce crush loads. Right now a 12 car GO train packed to capacity overflows even the new design staircases.
It could be optimized slightly better -- even 6 inches wider can mean the difference between single-file and double-file in the winter (with bulky coats).

I see many staircases that can easily be 6 inches wider simply by moving the stair railings inwards by 3 inches (10 cm) on both sides. Some stair railings are cantilevered inwards by almost a whole foot (third of a meter) unnecessarily, due to some minor blockage that can easily be fixed upstream. Stair railings don't NEED to stick that far out from the wall.

That will speed up winter traffic by 25%+ as I notice people are slower due to bulkier wear.

It could be optimized slightly better -- even 6 inches wider can mean the difference between single-file and double-file in the winter (with bulky coats).

I see many staircases that can easily be 6 inches wider simply by moving the stair railings inwards by 3 inches (10 cm) on both sides. Some stair railings are cantilevered inwards by almost a whole foot (third of a meter) unnecessarily, due to some minor blockage that can easily be fixed upstream. Stair railings don't NEED to stick that far out from the wall.

That will speed up winter traffic by 25%+ as I notice people are slower due to bulkier wear.

Unfortunately I don't think 6 inches will make the difference necessarily - I have noticed a (growing) tendency of people taking up the centre of staircases of late; plus you also have folks who insisted that carrying bags at both hands grants them special right to take up the entire width.

Also, there is nothing more buzzkill than someone forcing their way down when everyone is trying to walk up.

AoD

Some pics from Katia Osokine on Twitter of the first work from Partisans to show up -- some sculptural and organic light diffuser ceiling tiles:
DOrpECKW4AYNyFK.jpg

DOrpECIW4AA2PAh.jpg

DOrpECIXkAAL0xa.jpg

https://twitter.com/KatiaOsokine/status/930812623066681344

Unfortunately I don't think 6 inches will make the difference necessarily - I have noticed a (growing) tendency of people taking up the centre of staircases of late; plus you also have folks who insisted that carrying bags at both hands grants them special right to take up the entire width.

Also, there is nothing more buzzkill than someone forcing their way down when everyone is trying to walk up.
True, true.
However, you'd be surprised how big a difference 6 makes.

Some staircases that look wide, are actually only 6 to 10 inches wider than the staircases that look narrow. It's actually quite surprising how small the difference is, so I think it'd actually make a difference. At minimum, a bigger percentage of people will gravitate to one side of a wider staircase, and this seems to be very near the "trigger point" for some staircases.

Depends on the stairwells (Bay Teamway versus Platform 25/26/27 versus York Concourse) but the inefficiency of stair width utilization is surprisingly huge with some of the stairwells.

In fact, I think 9 inch widening between the stair railings is possible in some stairwells without moving walls, and still in compliance with building code after proper modifications.

It may need a slight readjustment of the drainage gutters on some stairs though, to prevent people stepping into the over-wide gutter on the sides of stairs when the stair rails no longer cantilever outwards very deep over them. I haven't seen water drip down through these gutters along the edges of the steps (Some of the gutters are almost 6 inches wide, they can be trimmed to 3 inches) and water down the stairwells is even less likely to happen now that the roof gardens are being installed.

can't find this info in the project database... when is union station revitalization expected to complete?

can't find this info in the project database... when is union station revitalization expected to complete?
The station building itself, I believe is 2019. The platforms and trainshed and other USRC track work will still be going strong at that point with no specific final date as capacity, safety, corridor electrification, and Rail Deck Park will determine what is done and when.

Last night I noticed they have turned on the LED lighting at the top of the building and today I saw they have almost finished installing the LED lights at the base of each pillar. There are also lights over the moats - I saw the ones over the York one being tested a few weeks ago but am not sure if they are fully operational yet. I assume there will be similar lighting over Bay moat.

When all lights are done I think the building will really stand out.

The station building itself, I believe is 2019. The platforms and trainshed and other USRC track work will still be going strong at that point with no specific final date as capacity, safety, corridor electrification, and Rail Deck Park will determine what is done and when.
The last official report to the GMC was in may 2017 when they said:

Future Milestones Planned
Substantial Completion of Stage 2/3 currently expected in February 2018 (excluding York and Bay Street moat covers; mid 2018), which includes the restoration of the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas and East Wing exterior façade. This will trigger the turnover of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx for final fixturing. After this time, the City will have no control of the actual timing of the opening of the Bay Concourse to the public.
Updated Schedule
Project completion is currently scheduled in early 2018. This is based upon and within the parameters of the awarded Stage 2/3 construction contract to Bondfield Construction Co. and represent their contractual schedule. Note this completion date excludes the Bay and York Street Moat Covers per the construction contract. This remains a very challenging objective and the project team is working diligently to achieve this target.
See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-103901.pdf

It should be noted that 'project completion' means that the area is ready to be turned over to GO so the Bay Concourse may be 'finished' in late February (?) but will then need LOTS of work by GO.

The last official report to the GMC was in may 2017 when they said:

Future Milestones Planned
Substantial Completion of Stage 2/3 currently expected in February 2018 (excluding York and Bay Street moat covers; mid 2018), which includes the restoration of the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas and East Wing exterior façade. This will trigger the turnover of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx for final fixturing. After this time, the City will have no control of the actual timing of the opening of the Bay Concourse to the public.
Updated Schedule
Project completion is currently scheduled in early 2018. This is based upon and within the parameters of the awarded Stage 2/3 construction contract to Bondfield Construction Co. and represent their contractual schedule. Note this completion date excludes the Bay and York Street Moat Covers per the construction contract. This remains a very challenging objective and the project team is working diligently to achieve this target.
See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-103901.pdf

It should be noted that 'project completion' means that the area is ready to be turned over to GO so the Bay Concourse may be 'finished' in late February (?) but will then need LOTS of work by GO.

In other words, similar to the York Concourse, it may open for the beginning of the summer but only in a partially complete state.

Back