Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

"A sneak peak into the Front Street Promenade heritage storefronts..."
DNkPVxpVQAAHLSP.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Torontounion/status/925788071467077633

At least it is better than an arcade?

I don't see why they would? Not many trains stop on that track and unless it still sees rush hour go service there is no regular service for Platform 3.

The original idea was Blue 22 was going to stop there.. then UPexpress came along and got its own station.

Does the Canadian use platform 3? If not there really isn't a need for direct access.

The Richmond Hill Line uses it.

The Richmond Hill Line uses it.

Ah ok, I always thought Milton or Georgetown used it. I know Niagara used to use it when it was first brought about.

With that being said it is worth creating direct access again but is it even possible anymore?

My assumption (correct?) was that these stairs are only for use if an adjacent escalator is broken.

Those are stairs from the concourse to the platform, not the ones going from retail to the concourse - there are no adjacent escalator for access.

AoD

Though possibly unavoidable, those stairs, like the ones on the York side, are just too narrow.

Unfortunately the platform widths above severely limit access and don't comfortably fit a lot of people on platform level. Perhaps with more frequent but smaller train sizes will help reduce crush loads. Right now a 12 car GO train packed to capacity overflows even the new design staircases.

Unfortunately the platform widths above severely limit access and don't comfortably fit a lot of people on platform level. Perhaps with more frequent but smaller train sizes will help reduce crush loads. Right now a 12 car GO train packed to capacity overflows even the new design staircases.

I am surprised with all the renovations sufficient access was not required as part of fire code (relating to occupancy of the platforms). Was the station grandfathered or is it merely a case of survival of the fittest?

Either way I am predicting this:

Yep, I know. That's what I meant. It's a bit of a shame...

At least the new head of Metrolinx has finally acknowledged that as a problem after the org has pretended for years publicly that it was all good. One can only imagine what path we would have taken in the redevelopment project if that acknowledgement had been baked in from the start.

AoD

Back