Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

From the National Post
City moves to begin $640-million Union Station remake next year

By Allison Hanes, National Post

Nine years after acquiring historic Union Station, the city appears ready to soon begin a $640-million remake of the Beaux Art landmark, including addition of a new mall.

City council’s executive committee will next week be asked to finalize plans for the landmark train station that stalled after a deal with private investors sputtered out three years ago, then relaunched in 2007 with the city going it alone.

If loose ends are tied up this summer, the massive overhaul would start in early 2010 and be completed by 2015, a much tighter timeline than initially envisioned.

Unfinished business include securing federal funding, provincial approval of GO Transit’s deal to buy part of the station, and city council’s endorsement of a leasing deal with a property management company for a retail concourse.

Yesterday, federal Finance Minister Jim Flahery reaffirmed funding promised in January’s federal budget, if only in vague terms.

“The money is there, in the budget for infrastructure,†he said. “Certainly, Union Station is a priority for the federal government because it’s the hub of the GO Train.â€

A city report for next week’s executive committee meeting notes that while $615-million was allocated for the project in Toronto’s 2009-2018 capital budget, “total costs are now estimated to be $640-million and the project timeframe has been accelerated.’’ It warns
the longer the city waits to begin work, the higher the final price tag.

“Delays in commencing the construction phase of the project will add to the overall project costs,†the report added.

Despite the signs of progress, Councillor Karen Stintz (Eglinton Lawrence) said yesterday she remains skeptical about the project.

“When I think about Union Station, for me it’s the biggest example of the city’s inability to get things done,†she said.

Ms. Stintz questioned whether the city should even be redeveloping the iconic structure and crucial transit nexus, through which some 200,000 passengers flow each day, as opposed to Metrolinx, the regional transportation agency.

“It needs to be developed as a train station and we’re trying to develop it as a mall,†she said. “I don’t believe the city is in the best position to develop it as a transportation hub. I think that’s why we continue to spin our wheels on how we should develop this asset.â€

The pricetag of the complicated renovation has already swelled since Toronto acquired Union Station in 2000 from the Toronto Terminals Railway Company.

The city spent six years attempting to broker a deal with a private partner to invest $150-million in the ageing structure, including about $20-million for repairs and $130-million on a new retail concourse with new shops and restaurants.

But the deal with the consortium crumbled in 2006, as the tab for the basic repairs grew to $100-million.

In 2007, council revived a $388-million plan, including $137-million for a retail mall that requires excavating under the station and $27-million in repairs, heritage upgrades and improvements for transit users.

In December the city agreed to sell GO Transit approximately 102,000 square feet of office space including a portion of the first floor, and the north side of the second, third and fourth floors of the centre block.

The arrangement would require GO to carry out extensive renovations to the currently vacant portion of the building, but the purchase also signaled a new partnership to spur the complete overhaul of Union Station.

unionremake1.jpg

From the National Post
City moves to begin $640-million Union Station remake next year

By Allison Hanes, National Post

Despite the signs of progress, Councillor Karen Stintz (Eglinton Lawrence) said yesterday she remains skeptical about the project.

“When I think about Union Station, for me it’s the biggest example of the city’s inability to get things done,†she said.

Ms. Stintz questioned whether the city should even be redeveloping the iconic structure and crucial transit nexus, through which some 200,000 passengers flow each day, as opposed to Metrolinx, the regional transportation agency.

“It needs to be developed as a train station and we’re trying to develop it as a mall,†she said. “I don’t believe the city is in the best position to develop it as a transportation hub. I think that’s why we continue to spin our wheels on how we should develop this asset.â€

I honestly don't understand Karen Stintz sometimes. Toronto is redeveloping the station because the station is owned by the City and not Metrolinx (although I guess they will own part of it once GO moves itself in). Metrolinx has no more experience redeveloping train stations, and from all we know it would probably look the same under them - i.e. like a mall. Why? Because Union needs to be financially sustainable, which it can't be on revenue from trains alone, and because people want to buy things while they're waiting for their trains. Major transit hubs generally do have a mall-ish quality - take Pearson, for example. I would really like to hear how she would plan a Union redevelopment or what she thinks a very busy train station would look like. Typical Stintz though: all talk with little substance.

$640M Union Station reno moving along

Jun 03, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (1)
CITY HALL BUREAU

Yesterday at Toronto City Hall:

UNION STATION: A long-awaited renovation is starting to come together. Detailed design of the now $640 million project is to be completed in September. Plans include a new underground retail level and expanded concourse for GO Transit and Via Rail customers.

QUEENS QUAY: The proposed makeover of the waterfront boulevard was praised yesterday – even by those who say they'll be hurt by it. Owners of the Radisson Admiral Hotel, near Spadina Ave., like the plan, but say it will prevent westbound Queens Quay traffic from turning left to the hotel.

FARMER'S MARKET: Vendors at a market opening this weekend won't be charged a $50 fee as city staff had proposed. Instead, next year's rental rates for the market on Adelaide St. W. west of Spadina will be based on the revenue made in what is normally an empty lot.

WOMEN'S ISSUES: Toronto needs an office to address women's needs, a group told the executive committee. The office would make recommendations on dealing with systemic discrimination against women, said Melissa Wong of the Toronto Women's City Alliance.

Toronto star

I really like the train shed renderings. If this was something people saw in Europe they'd probably be going crazy over it.

What is the reno supposed to look like? Is it going to be related at all to the two bids that happened earlier in the decade, or has everything been completely re-designed?

^ no piano, that's mostly what I've heard.

I think the plan to dig down in order to line up the TTC Subway concourse with the Union Station GO concourse and allow for airier ceilings is a major part of the plan. It's also my favorite part. Can't wait.

^ What exactly is happening here? Is this restoration work, second subway platform or the major stationwide reno?

and added, winking ironically, "So, let's NOT do it so that I can continue to sound indignant that it's not getting done."

NORR Limited Architects & Engineers are beginning the design which is planned to be completed in September and preparing tender documents for the first stage of construction. PCL is completing the a number of interim improvements to the fire alarm system and Clifford Restoration is relocating an existing sanitary sewer.

So if nothing is being done, what the hell is going on in front of the building in those pictures posted above? Karen Stintz is a stupid ignorant ditz anyways- no one in their right mind should ever listen to her whinings!

p5

It's about time. Hopefully work gets underway soon.

Toronto, Ontario — The Governments of Canada and Ontario are investing $305 million in the revitalization of Union Station in Toronto.

"Our Government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is fast-tracking funding to get shovels in the ground and jobs created at Union Station," said the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance. "As part of Canada's Economic Action Plan, we are taking action to stimulate Toronto's economy and speed up the revitalization of this major Toronto landmark."

"The economic and cultural value of Union Station cannot be understated - it is one of the most important buildings in Ontario," said George Smitherman, Ontario's Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Infrastructure. "This historic landmark is the central access point for Ontario's public travelling by rail and, in the future, it will link to the Pearson airport. Whether travelling for business or pleasure, residents and visitors will reap the benefits of this much needed revitalization for many years to come."

"As the owner and steward of this magnificent and historic building, the City of Toronto is pleased that we will be able to undertake the revitalization of Union Station and make it a facility truly befitting its status as Canada's busiest transit hub," said Toronto Mayor David Miller. "I want to thank our Federal, Provincial and private sector partners for helping make this important work possible."

Union Station is Canada's busiest passenger facility and an essential transportation hub for Toronto. It handles 65 million passengers annually, servicing the Toronto Transit Commission, GO Transit and VIA Rail. The number of passengers is set to increase significantly in the future.

The Government of Canada is setting aside one-third of total eligible project costs, up to $133 million, to support the revitalization of the train station to help improve passenger flow and capacity, protect the heritage aspects of the station and maintain it in a state of good repair.

The Province of Ontario is contributing $172 million to support the revitalization of Union Station, including $92 million to purchase and significantly rebuild the key station GO concourse at Bay Street and link it to a new GO concourse at York Street, increasing the concourse space three-fold to improve pedestrian flow as well as accessibility. The funding also includes $33 million towards construction of a PATH connection under York Street to join the northwest corner of Union Station to Wellington Street with connections to existing buildings along the route and $ 47 million for other renewal projects, including $20 million for heritage restoration of the main building itself.

The City of Toronto will be responsible for securing the balance of the $640 million total estimated cost of the project.

Metrolinx, the regional transportation authority, has identified Union Station and its expansion as one of the key priorities in its Regional Transportation Plan for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

Work is already underway. Construction started on the moat earlier this year. I find it strange that the City is pitching in over half the cost of the project, considering it is the Province (GO Transit) and Feds (VIA Rail) that benefit the greatest from it.

The City of Toronto will be responsible for securing the balance of the $640 million total estimated cost of the project.
Can anyone confirm that GO's purchase of concourse and office space in Union from the City is providing funding for some of the city's remaining balance? If so, the full provincial contribution would be higher than is reported here.

EDIT: Just noticed that the concourse purchase was listed above, but the total provincial funding is greater than the purchase amount, so there is new money here. I'm still not sure if the office space purchase is included.

Last edited:

Back