Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

McDonalds... Interesting they want to stay on the concourse level (There's only an extremely limited number of places in the York main level for establishments; most will go downstairs to the 'basement'). I knew they'd probably want to stay in Union, but was wondering where they would be located! The food court would allow a much bigger McDonalds that served the full menu.

Will York concourse-level establishments open before PanAm? Before Bay closure?

McDonalds... Interesting they want to stay on the concourse level (There's only an extremely limited number of places in the York main level for establishments; most will go downstairs to the 'basement'). I knew they'd probably want to stay in Union, but was wondering where they would be located! The food court would allow a much bigger McDonalds that served the full menu.

Will York concourse-level establishments open before PanAm? Before Bay closure?
It may be done before the the games, but for sure when Bay close.

Wouldn't be surprise to see another MD over in the Bay area when it reopens in 2017.

Do you mean "is it going to reopen in a new space in the station?"

If that's what you mean, that has not been revealed yet specifically, but generally, half of the retailing in the station is going to be food-related.

Is Union Fruit Market going to move?

Do you mean "is it going to reopen in a new space in the station?"

If that's what you mean, that has not been revealed yet specifically, but generally, half of the retailing in the station is going to be food-related.

Well, if they don't move does that not mean they are closing? How long will the Bay Concourse close for after the Pan Am games? That would effectively put them out of business.

Well, if they don't move does that not mean they are closing? How long will the Bay Concourse close for after the Pan Am games? That would effectively put them out of business.

Tearing out their space would also effectively put them out of business if they don't reopen elsewhere at the station, so staying where they are is not an option, let alone the two-year or so closure of the Bay Concourse. Time wouldn't be the biggest factor.

Tearing out their space would also effectively put them out of business if they don't reopen elsewhere at the station, so staying where they are is not an option, let alone the two-year or so closure of the Bay Concourse. Time wouldn't be the biggest factor.

I think we are agreeing.....someone asked if they are moving....I suggested it is either a move to York or a move out of business.

Some shots from yesterday during the PM rush hour, bringing you up-to-date on what everything's like here.

Not sure how long these stairs are going to last after the Bay Concourse closes. I image that they won't have to come out too early as it would be comparatively easy to demolish them and replace the floor, and even add the bridge over them… over what's going to happen inside, but I'd still bet that they don't wait too long before demoing them.
DSC01070.jpg

The brass rails in here look great.
DSC01072.jpg

The north side of the walkway to the the York St Promenade from the Front St Promenade. The south side is closed. Maybe this side will close for more refurbs after the work along the south side is done? Once the Bay Concourse closes, it would be good to have both sides operating to deal with rush hour crowds that will pour through here.
DSC01074.jpg

In the York Street Promenade, looking toward the north doors to the Front Street Moat.
DSC01076.jpg

In the moat looking west towards the Northwest PATH and Citibank PATH tunnels. Eventually this area will be sealed in under skylights, with doors to the outside—as best as I can tell from the plans—just east of the Northwest PATH doors. While that will make that PATH connection an outdoor one, that part of the York Street moat will be glassed over, but north enclosed at the south end. It may be a short hop outside, and may be cold on occasion, but there will be no rain or snow to deal with.
DSC01077.jpg

In the moat looking east. We called the City to ask what the timelines on this are, but got no response, so I have no idea how long before they'll have this section through to the subway station open via the exterior. Would they bother to open this before the moat skylights go on? Maybe not…
DSC01078.jpg

The doors back into the York Street Promenade. Nicely fixed up, but will they really be needed once the moat area is enclosed?
DSC01080.jpg

Inside the York Street Promenade looking south. The ramped passages on either side of the temporarily walled off area at the end take you up into the GO York Concourse. The temporary wall, meanwhile, hides stairs down to the lower level retail area.
DSC01081.jpg

Looking southeast across the GO York Concourse and its overlook of the lower level retail space.
DSC01082.jpg

Some people are using this side to get to their trains now, but it's not busy yet.
DSC01084.jpg

This is where McD's is under construction. To the south of it is INS, and to the south of that, Booster Juice.
DSC01086.jpg

Here's the Booster Juice location in the GO York Concourse looking back north towards INS and McD's.
DSC01088.jpg

Some people lining up for tickets.
DSC01091.jpg

People walking the York Street Moat and in behind, Station Street, to get to their evening trains home.
DSC01094.jpg

Looking back at the York Street Moat and the wall of the future York St Promenade shopping area opened up in behind. Looking forward to seeing how this is all finished up.
DSC01095.jpg

And finally, the same area, but looking north.
DSC01096.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 826
  • DSC01072.jpg
    DSC01072.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 799
  • DSC01074.jpg
    DSC01074.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC01076.jpg
    DSC01076.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC01080.jpg
    DSC01080.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 828
  • DSC01081.jpg
    DSC01081.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC01082.jpg
    DSC01082.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC01084.jpg
    DSC01084.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 816
  • DSC01088.jpg
    DSC01088.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC01091.jpg
    DSC01091.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 818
  • DSC01094.jpg
    DSC01094.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC01095.jpg
    DSC01095.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 803
  • DSC01096.jpg
    DSC01096.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 789
  • DSC01077.jpg
    DSC01077.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 833
  • DSC01086.jpg
    DSC01086.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 829
The doors are likely requirements under the Fire Code, as those openings are passing through a fire-rated assembly.

The doors are likely requirements under the Fire Code, as those openings are passing through a fire-rated assembly.

I know it will complicate the fire control system horribly, but it would be nice if the doors can be kept open and commanded to shut automatically in the event of a fire alarm - it is THE major cause of slowdown at the current Bay concourse entrance from the subways.

AoD

I know it will complicate the fire control system horribly, but it would be nice if the doors can be kept open and commanded to shut automatically in the event of a fire alarm - it is THE major cause of slowdown at the current Bay concourse entrance from the subways.

AoD

What you describe is certainly possible, and there are buildings that do do this (although I can't seem to think of one), as automatically closing fire doors are allowed in the Fire Code.

I just feasted on those shots for like 15 minutes. That was great. Thanks.

Here's a question: the Via Rail concourse--essentially in the middle of Union, lower level--it still looks like the 70s trying to be the 80s. Is this area and others still like it going to be completely refurbished to match the sterling white decor of the the York Concourse?

Because if not, Union will feel like a hodgepodge when walking through it. It'll be like one of those renos people do on their homes where they don't have enough money (or taste) to make the addition continuous with the rest of the house.

Back