Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Except that any connection would be at the very north end of the facility - well away from all of the commercial tenants.

I suspect that is why they've been able to fight against it for so long. There may be a bit of a benefit, but it's been so hard to quantify that they can't get the tenants onside.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The two options seem to have the possibility that there could be no access to Crossroads, which means a loss of potential revenue for Crossroads. That would be bad for those tenants, at least I think so.

Maybe someone can tell me what their issue is then? If the connection does not go through their building then they are no better or worse off than the current path people have to take on the street which already bypasses their retail concourse.....perhaps what they want(ed) is to drive the traffic through?

I may be hyper sensitive to this subject (I freely admit that) but in the email from the GTS project team about this landmark moment there seems to be a subtle shift in the messaging.

Whereas it used to talk about how important the GTS project was in increasing the rail corridor's capacity to allow for more service to commence in the corridor it now says:

The Georgetown South (GTS) Project is now substantially complete and has met its 2014 schedule to remove all rail crossings and have trains operating in the separated rail corridor.Sixteen bridges were widened/modified and seven underpasses/overpasses were built so all trains would travel separated from road traffic.

Now that we are substantially complete, the Union Pearson Express service can begin commissioning its service in preparation for launch in spring 2015. And GO Transit can begin preparing to ramp up future service to meet the 15-minute two-way, all-day regional express rail service on the lines it owns over the next 10 years.

This is either an inadvertent slip in messaging in a hope to get people looking forward to the "full service" and forgetting that what the customers on the line are looking for is those "up to 29" train trips a day in 2015.....or they are intentionally pushing the message out delaying any improvements until they can deliver all of them.....honestly hope it is the former not the latter (but it is not helped when you can't get a response, never mind an answer, to the direct question of how many and when the new trains will there be).

On the bright side, this is the email that declares, essentially, GTS completed.

The Georgetown South (GTS) Project is now substantially complete and has met its 2014 schedule to remove all rail crossings and have trains operating in the separated rail corridor.Sixteen bridges were widened/modified and seven underpasses/overpasses were built so all trains would travel separated from road traffic.

This is either an inadvertent slip in messaging in a hope to get people looking forward to the "full service" and forgetting that what the customers on the line are looking for is those "up to 29" train trips a day in 2015.....or they are intentionally pushing the message out delaying any improvements until they can deliver all of them.....honestly hope it is the former not the latter (but it is not helped when you can't get a response, never mind an answer, to the direct question of how many and when the new trains will there be).
I'd have read this as more positive than the "up to 29" train trips a day in 2015. Which could be fulfilled by simply having running the current 18 trips a day.

Given that the plan appears to be to increase service once crews become available after the Pan Am games, which would be September 2015, well into the 2015-2016 fiscal year, then there's really little that they can say until they are a lot closer to the date. GO has always been notorious about giving any official indication up upcoming changes - and there was absolutely no detail about 2014-2015 increases in this years budget information, let alone next years!

For a few years now, the provincial messaging has been that 15-minute service is the goal. "29 train trips" has been relegated to a mere checkpoint on the path towards the goal. The GTS project is being praised as a major project in support of the goal to all-day service.

As nfitz says, there's no reason to suspect a loss of the 29 trips as a milestone. It's now within the realm of a "regular" service change, and we've seen how close to the chest they keep those.

I'd have read this as more positive than the "up to 29" train trips a day in 2015. Which could be fulfilled by simply having running the current 18 trips a day.

Not sure what you mean there. (EDIT...figured it out....the current 18 trains are technically within the definition of "up to 29")

Given that the plan appears to be to increase service once crews become available after the Pan Am games, which would be September 2015, well into the 2015-2016 fiscal year, then there's really little that they can say until they are a lot closer to the date.

Well they could say that, other than an informed poster here....I have seen no information from GO/ML that that is the case. In fact, if it is a case of freeing up crews after the Pan Ams..would they not have some idea of how many crews there will be freed up?

GO has always been notorious about giving any official indication up upcoming changes - and there was absolutely no detail about 2014-2015 increases in this years budget information, let alone next years!

This is a problem.....how can any public body be judged/evaluated on their use of public funds if their budgets are so meaningless. Sure, on here, we will put up with this for ML as surprise expenditures mean more of what we like (transit) but how can any public budget be so fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants?

Last edited:
For a few years now, the provincial messaging has been that 15-minute service is the goal. "29 train trips" has been relegated to a mere checkpoint on the path towards the goal. The GTS project is being praised as a major project in support of the goal to all-day service.

15 minute service for this line (possibly all lines) was never mentioned until a few weeks before the last provincial election....it caught everyone by surprise .....even ML

As nfitz says, there's no reason to suspect a loss of the 29 trips as a milestone. It's now within the realm of a "regular" service change, and we've seen how close to the chest they keep those.

Like I said, I am hyper sensitive to this for a few reasons.....1. it has never been 29 trains...but "up to 29" meaining (and I just figured out what nfit meant) it can be technically met by not adding another single train and 2....at the onset of the GTS project the new service was promised upon completion of the GTS project (via their email today...."now") but all has fallen silent on the matter and a knowledgeable poster here has indicated that September 2015 is the earliest it could happen.

Eurasia is a reference to 1984.. Don't know what the first sentence is, it may just be a silly line.
NewSpeak language from George Orwell "1984", which is a sanitized version of English. The words "very", "not" and "bad" was removed from English language, so you could only use happy and positive words to describe a bad thing -- "very bad" (old English) = "double plus ungood" (NewSpeak). Google "ingsoc" for some interesting reading...

So, now you know what "double plus unsmart" means, although he illegally violated NewSpeak by using some words such as "don't". :D

Last edited:

Back