Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Comparatively, that's still pretty damn fast if you ask me.

Compared to highway speed limits, maybe. But trains are generally faster than cars because collision risk doesn't increase as quickly with speed, on top of the mechanical efficiency advantages.

The other difference is that drivers tend to travel above the roadway speed limit, whereas train operators tend to travel at or under the speed limit.

The understandable misconception many Canadians have about trains being slow is the reason I think it would be a great business decision to display the current speed on a screen in the train car, as is done on many other railways. People seem to assume that VIA trains cruise around 100 km/h, whereas in fact they cruise around 150 km/h between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec, and 125 km/h elsewhere in Ontario.

Last edited:
The understandable misconception many Canadians have about trains being slow is the reason I think it would be a great business decision to display the current speed on a screen in the train car, as is done on many other railways.
Would be pretty embarrassing on that one section through Guelph though...

Looking northwest from the Dundas bridge on the 27th:

IMG_4958.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpg
    IMG_4958.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1,163
Bestest buddies:

First time I've seen the new train at YYZ. Good comparison with the link train.

UP1.jpg
up2.JPG

Attachments

• UP1.jpg
    UP1.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 2,265
  • up2.JPG
    up2.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 786
Are the left tracks UPX, right tracks GO?

As far as I know, none of the tracks are permanently assigned to one brand of train or the other and the whole thing will function as a single integrated corridor. In order to keep traffic flow optimal and reduce crossover movements, though, they'll presumably dispatch trains along a routine pattern. Left will presumably be mostly Milton GO, right will be Kitchener GO, VIA and UP.

Sigh. Who decided that the Link shuttle train had to be wrapped in self-promotional ads?

How else would people know that there is a terminal link train than to be reminded by ads for the terminal link train on the terminal link train?

You think there are ads on board the terminal link train letting you know all the benefits of the terminal link train?

How else would people know that there is a terminal link train than to be reminded by ads for the terminal link train on the terminal link train?

You think there are ads on board the terminal link train letting you know all the benefits of the terminal link train?

You mean like the ads that used to be in go/ttc stations telling you all the benefits of taking transit?

As it stands now and subject to weather, the 2nd track will be install in the new Fly-under tunnel 1 for West Toronto Diamond by the end of the month.

Track 3 & 4 will will be place in tunnel 2 in Dec and Jan.

In Dec & Jan, the Milton 2 lines will be relocated back to their original location at the junction and upgrade along with the 2 tracks in the corridor. CP still owns the line and not prepared to sell the lines at this time south of the junction.

The Tower mast has been erected at Union station for the UPX line. Work still underway on the new station with the roof deck in place and almost ready for enclosing it.

Tracks are being place in the Weston tunnel now with them going live in late Dec.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the tunnel roof was not the same thickness and got by answer to that question as why. They found they didn't need that thickness in the first place. The thick slab is by the school and that area will become a sport and play field for the school with the rest being a park. I also learn the floor slab was to be almost 3m thick and was reduced to 1.5m. This is the cause of the extra deepness of the tunnel.

The goal at this time to get as much trackage into service to help operation.

Once the existing platform at Weston is built or when the tunnel goes into service for the new platform, track 3 will be laid follow by 4. Hope to have 3 in service by Dec.

Only a small section of the new platform need to have concrete pour for it with more steel framing up on it.

I still say wait until Dec when the full station is to open before closing the current platform off and moving loading to the new section that will be complete next week. This will removed the need to have a walkway cross the current track 1 & 2 so the existing platform can be rebuilt. If they put in that walkway to the Railpath, I hope they have safety personnel on site to stop riders trying to cross the tracks as a train is approaching the station.

Last edited:

Back