Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think the project approval is good; I support electrification, but it can wait, subject to them designing this so its an easy install, and not hugely disruptive later.

I am confused about the 'opening day'. While I take it they mean that all the tracks and grade separations will be finished for 2015; I would expect and trust we will see lots of additional service before then.

Barrie is to go hourly next year; and I assume as soon as the junction separation is finished we will see at least some new service on both Milton and Georgetown.

Yeah, there aren't too many surprises here (at least from my perspective). Onward and upward towards implementation!

Expect to see gradual service improvements between now and then - more trains at all times and midday trains extended to downtown Brampton and possibly beyond - but hourly service is going to be very difficult to manage when you consider how much construction is going into this project.

Do we want hourly service that's unreliable due to the construction disruptions, or do we want service every (say...) 2 hours that is actually on time?

Last edited:
This just in: exactly what Metrolinx had already stated. Next up: re-announcement of the project.

No, this is the approval of the EA from the Ministry of the Environment. It's a new announcement.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed. I think it would have been worth it to just electrify right away rather than buy a whole massive fleet of diesel equipment and then electrify 20 years down the line.

Where's the BCA for this? That would give a clear picture whether electrification is worthwhile.

And if diesel technology adhering to the Tier IV emission standard doesn't exist yet, who's to say that it won't be more expensive than electric?

No, this is the approval of the EA from the Ministry of the Environment. It's a new announcement.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed. I think it would have been worth it to just electrify right away rather than buy a whole massive fleet of diesel equipment and then electrify 20 years down the line.

GO is currently run by business types.

Business types who have experience knowing large all encompassing projects tend to fail and that a phased approach, though more expensive, is much more likely to be completed.

And if diesel technology adhering to the Tier IV emission standard doesn't exist yet, who's to say that it won't be more expensive than electric?

That's a silly question; then they simply buy electrified rolling stock and run wires.

That said, it isn't how new product is developed.

1) The first thing Bombardier does is pick a price.
2) They pick the technology enhancements which can be developed for that price
3) They ask their customers (really only about 50 in the world, fewer who buy in volume) if they would buy 20 or so units. Fewer for a specific model like a diesel commuter rail engine for North American safety standards (5 potential customers with any kind of volume)
4) They begin development to hit those technology enhancements at the specified price point.

The engine is built to suit the customer and the customer knows long in advance exactly what they will be getting and what roughly what it will cost.

If electrification is cheaper, then we simply do it AFTER the corridor is grade separated which will take many years.

I'm really angry at how they're going through with this. It's obvious that Electrification is needed in the corridor. In the future, electrification will be needed on all Go corridors, and quite a few VIA routes.
There's really no argument that for the long term, Diesel is a better solution than Electric. Electric is cheaper to operate and maintain, and gives faster acceleration ergo faster travel times.

So the Weston NIMBYs say they can't stand the 4 diesel trains an hour that'll be going along the corridor for the next 5-10 years. Because nobody's willing to come to an agreement over Electrification right now vs. electrification a few years down the road, we're getting diesel trains that'll probably not be delivered for 4-5 years and will be a total waste of money when you consider we could have electrified the system and bought electric trains in that time, while electrification is needed anyways.

Stupid, stupid, STUPID! Yet another case of Toronto/Canada believing we're somehow so much poorer and less deserving than other countries. "Electric Trains? Oh, that's much too expensive and advanced, we can't possible have it!"

Surely it's more a question of Metrolinx wanting to phase in electrification on their terms, to minimize expenditures, and upgrade services sooner, than having to be forced to outlay the entire thing at once, before any services get upgraded.

Back