Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

UP should not be part of GO's fares. It is a premium service. However, if integrated, it should have an additional fare for going to the airport, much like the Canada Line to YVR.

UP should not be part of GO's fares. It is a premium service.
It's "Premium" alright. In terms of what it cost to subsidize each passenger. That's approx $11 per ticket. Regular GO fare returns approx 80% of cost to the farebox.

Do the math. And then explain to me why I should have to ride in the truck when my taxes are paying for the fat fugs in the limousine? I'll agree with you when UPX returns the same rate of cost to fare that GO does by charging multiples more for their tickets.

However, if integrated, it should have an additional fare for going to the airport, much like the Canada Line to YVR.
That's what it is now. Were you not paying attention? That's what they're going to change, and shaft anyone wearing Thinsulate instead of Ermine.

How about metrolinx just increase service on the kitchener corridor already. Instead of this manufactured class battle of "rich business travellers " at the airport vs the "poor everyday folks"

The corridor is wide enough to support both services and the demand is clearly there.

The reason for the lack of Kitchener Line service was done by the previous provincial liberals as a way to increase ridership numbers on the UPX, as it was seen as a white elephant that they were responsible for.

By forcing GO riders to take the UPX rather than increase GO service for the same area, it inflated the ridership of the UPX.

By forcing GO riders to take the UPX rather than increase GO service for the same area, it inflated the ridership of the UPX.
Except that even to Mt Pleasant, GO runs only part of the day between and including morning and evening rush-hours. That being said, even for those claiming the "Premium" excuse...priority boarding has always applied for those with the UPX ticket if the train is full or near-full.

There's no logic to this move that's been presented so far. Quite the opposite.

Addendum: Just reading UPX' terms and conditions. My head spins just from trying to make sense of this:
How to use PRESTO on UP Express – Going to or from non-Airport stations Guests who wish to travel from a non-Airport station to another non-Airport station (Union, Bloor or Weston stations) can tap their PRESTO card on either a designated GO Transit Fare Payment device or an UP Express Fare Payment device. If a guest taps ON a GO Transit Fare Payment device, they are required to tap OFF on a GO Transit Fare Payment device once they reach their destination. If a Guest taps ON an UP Express Fare Payment device, they must tap OFF an UP Express Fare Payment device once they reach their destination. In case of an accidental tap ON at the wrong device, guests may reverse the tap as detailed below. Please note that Guests will still need to tap ON (or tap OFF, as appropriate) on the correct device. Please note that GO Transit customers that wish to travel on UP Express and tap on GO Transit Fare Payment devices will continue to enjoy GO Transit’s loyalty program. Furthermore, GO Transit customers that have default settings applied to their PRESTO card can only have their card accepted by tapping on GO Transit Fare Payment devices. Please note that guests who tap ON UP Express Fare Payment devices for non-Airport travel are not permitted on GO Transit. In the event that a guest forgets to tap OFF at a GO Transit PRESTO Fare Payment Device once they reach their final leg of their journey, they will be charged the maximum fare along the Kitchener corridor. Please note that all PRESTO transactions on GO Transit Fare Payment Devices are closed and processed after 45 minutes of the guest’s initial tap ON when entering the UP Express system.

Here it is as a pic with the format intact:

https://www.upexpress.com/AboutUP/TermsAndConditionsV6

It says something different each time I read it. This is akin to the Hogwarts Express...

Last edited:
It is also annoying that the elevated section cannot support a full length GO train. They should have extended the elevated section back to the Kitchener line Then, this would all be a moot point.

The reason for the lack of Kitchener Line service was done by the previous provincial liberals as a way to increase ridership numbers on the UPX, as it was seen as a white elephant that they were responsible for.

Interesting conspiracy theory and I can't say I hadn't thought of that myself. Bottom line is that people have shown that there is demand for commuter service along this corridor and it's Metrolinx's job to adequately fill that demand. Hell sell it to Dougie Ford as a thumb in the eye of the previous liberal government "look just how much of a white elephant UPX is without the commuter ridership", but then how will Doug's business buddies react to that.

If I were a business traveler heading to an evening departure at Pearson from Union and had to deal with hoards of rowdy sports fans coming back on the same train with me when the UPX is sold to me as a premium express ride to the airport, I'd be pretty cheesed.

They should have extended the elevated section back to the Kitchener line Then, this would all be a moot point.

Other than about 400 metres from the junction of the Weston Sub to the bridge over Goreway Dr., the line is completely elevated. How much more did you possibly want?

Dan

This, frankly the UPX has gotten popular enough that I think prices could go up slightly and people would not be likely to notice too much, especially travellers who are getting an absolute steal compared to a taxi.
bet you travellers didn't care much when the original price was $19

It's "Premium" alright. In terms of what it cost to subsidize each passenger. That's approx $11 per ticket. Regular GO fare returns approx 80% of cost to the farebox.

Do the math. And then explain to me why I should have to ride in the truck when my taxes are paying for the fat fugs in the limousine? I'll agree with you when UPX returns the same rate of cost to fare that GO does by charging multiples more for their tickets.

That's what it is now. Were you not paying attention? That's what they're going to change, and shaft anyone wearing Thinsulate instead of Ermine.
It helps ML realize how much it cost to operate a rapid transit line. If they only allowed airport travellers to use the line, it would be empty.

I got a long term suggestion. They should get 3 car consists on every train, charge a premium first class fare on the first car. The other two should be replaced with perimeter seating to maximize standing space. Ridership will furtherly increase as Mt Dennis UPX station opens connecting to Line 5.

It helps ML realize how much it cost to operate a rapid transit line. If they only allowed airport travellers to use the line, it would be empty.

I got a long term suggestion. They should get 3 car consists on every train, charge a premium first class fare on the first car. The other two should be replaced with perimeter seating to maximize standing space. Ridership will furtherly increase as Mt Dennis UPX station opens connecting to Line 5.
Although I'd quibble with 'rearranged seating' (due to operating issues, the cars aren't reliable enough to afford the loss of flexibility) the concept is excellent as an interim way to make it work.

Metrolinx's claim of 'all trains will now run three-car' has turned out to be hogwash. I live right next to the tracks, see them constantly, and only roughly half of the consists are three-car. A few weeks back they were running some two-car consists with two without a washroom. Some 'premium' service.

Of course, if promises were kept, there would be all-day two way RER from Bramalea to Union running by now, but alas...

Ive got a better idea. They need to do RER/electrify the Kitchener line first until Bramalea and the UPX spur, and buy combo high/low platform door EMU's. Have a service providing EMU all-stop to Bramalea and an airport spur. Dedicate all the bi-levels to express service beyond Bramalea, passing all stations downtown to Union. Do away with separate tech for the UPX/RER.

Wait are you telling me the UP trains have a washroom . . .
You didn't know?
UP Express trains all board at platform level to ensure ease of boarding. Trains are wheelchair accessible and feature accessible washrooms1 and locations to store mobility aids. On-board announcements are provided in both visual and audible formats. Priority seating and courtesy seating are available on the train.
1 Please note that some UP Express train-car configurations may not have an on-board washroom.
https://www.upexpress.com/CustomerSupport/Accessibility

Back