Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

It's really not the only reason -- there are huge numbers of stories of people (people unfamiliar with the existence of more than one airport) being confused which airport to go to, when they are in London, UK. And what we have is potentially worse wayfinding than London had to do to keep all their airports clear.

"huge"......I'll take your word for that.

I don't deny that the sort of trip you describe exist.....but I hope you would not deny that they are, by far, the very small minority of trips taken and signage programs should not be developed for that population of trips. Unless it is your suggestion that these super travel savvy travellers, who consider people using air miles for direct trips "utterly stupid" are only savvy with their air miles but can't quite figure out in advance which train/streetcar/bus/whatever will get them back to Pearson to continue their journey to Iceland?

Of course they would have done their research, but I think the point is there is no point in creating unnecessary confusion when avoiding it is so easy.

I'm hoping that those DMU's will get C-xxxx tail lettering, and that we will be able to trace them on Flightaware.com :)

- Paul

I am going to ask for a bit more clarification on what you are suggesting here.

Someone in Boston might fly from Logan to Billy Bishop to get on a streetcar or a shuttle to get to Pearson to then get on UPe to get to Pearson to fly to Shanghai? Why would they not just fly from Logan directly to Pearson and connect to Shanghai?

Someone in Lima would fly to Pearson to take the UPe to Union to take a streetcar or a shuttle to YTZ to then fly to Ottawa? Why would they not connect at Pearson to the many more flights to Ottawa that originate at Pearson compared to the few that leave from YTZ?

It seems we have taken the discussion about a bit of signage into a bit of a strange world where people go out of their way to, well, go out of their way ;)

I myself will be doing a Kingston (Ont) -> Tel Aviv trip that involves passing through Union next winter. (Kingston -> Union on VIA, then UPX to Pearson, then flying from Pearson to Ben Gurion).

Queen's University is actually planning to post university staff to Union & Pearson this coming September, to help direct/welcome international students arriving in Kingston via Pearson->UPX->VIA.

I myself will be doing a Kingston (Ont) -> Tel Aviv trip that involves passing through Union next winter. (Kingston -> Union on VIA, then UPX to Pearson, then flying from Pearson to Ben Gurion).

Queen's University is actually planning to post university staff to Union & Pearson this coming September, to help direct/welcome international students arriving in Kingston via Pearson->UPX->VIA.

Sounds like a great trip...but unlike the trips I responded to yours will not involve going out of your way to use two different airports in Toronto to link to an international city ;)

Enjoy the trip and I bet you won't leave Kingston confused about which airport you need to get to and which rail connection (UP or 509) you need to take to get to the terminal!

I like how the UP terminal livens up the Skywalk, which still looks pretty new at 26 years old.

It is a spectacular re-purposing.

One minor concern (which we can deal with later)....when Jays were very popular and selling out each GO line had a train waiting till "X" (I forget the value of X) minutes after the last out to take people home....so the combination of full SkyDome and GO being available to take people home made th SkyWalk very popular and it was full to crush loads.....

....we already know that GO is expanding service on the non-lakeshore lines.....so GO will once again become a more popular/viable way of getting home......if the Jays find a way to win and get back to 50k/night crowds....will the newly narrowed SkyWalk be able to handle the crowds?

There is the argument that the outside environs are more walkable now so they would take some of the crowds...but on a rainy day an "all inside" walk from a covered stadium to a climate controlled rail station/path connection has an appeal (that was the intent of building the thing in the first place) and the crowds may become a bit difficult to manage.

Still (IMO) worth the change but it is something to consider going forward.

One minor concern (which we can deal with later)....when Jays were very popular and selling out each GO line had a train waiting till "X" (I forget the value of X) minutes after the last out to take people home....so the combination of full SkyDome and GO being available to take people home made th SkyWalk very popular and it was full to crush loads.....

....we already know that GO is expanding service on the non-lakeshore lines.....so GO will once again become a more popular/viable way of getting home......if the Jays find a way to win and get back to 50k/night crowds....will the newly narrowed SkyWalk be able to handle the crowds?

There is the argument that the outside environs are more walkable now so they would take some of the crowds...but on a rainy day an "all inside" walk from a covered stadium to a climate controlled rail station/path connection has an appeal (that was the intent of building the thing in the first place) and the crowds may become a bit difficult to manage.

Yeah when I was little I remember the Jays crowds in the SkyWalk, there were even stores there that had business! Hard to imagine, but it's nice we're going full circle, at least the UPX will help bring in people to the station.

Unless we look actually look a World Series contender, it'd be hard to imagine having 50k crowds on a random weekday game. Heck this month 20k is considered a large crowd.

The walkway leading from the plaza in front of the CN Tower to the entrance of the SkyWalk has already been narrowed with the addition of the Aquarium. For crowds after the game, the pinch point has already largely been moved back to the plaza. But yes you're right, I've used the SkyWalk a couple times after a weekend game and it was very busy.

There's also the south exit to the ACC or using york East teamway to head south and then head west on Bremner.
I'd imagine a large number would use this route or even front street.

Crowds in transit, probably (after all the construction blockage is removed). But it doesn't need to hold waiting crowds anymore. Back in the day, the refreshment stalls consumed space in Skywalk (as well as people standing in front of them), so there's actually not necessarily a net reduction of moving-crowd throughput to the heyday, although it may be slower moving than just right-pre-UPX for whole-stadium sellout events (which are rarer than in the past).

There will be 3x the GO concourse space, plus a brand new >100,000 square feet retail/food level (where none existed); this should sufficiently big enough to swallow several skywalk crowdfuls, and hopefully keep the pedestrian flow speed up a little, once the Revitalization is complete and there's no more detours.

Post-revitalization, it will be more fun to go to the SkyDome, especially for those tickets that include free GO transit, and that may actually increase crowd size measurably (numbers like +10%, +20%) in the GO RER / UPX era with new Union amenities, faster downtown commutes, and higher train frequency becoming new draws.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people in that situation will take the southern PATH route via the Delta hotel and the office towers? Especially if they're going home via a Lakeshore Line train on Platform 27?

I wonder how many people in that situation will take the southern PATH route via the Delta hotel and the office towers? Especially if they're going home via a Lakeshore Line train on Platform 27?

I think a lot of people also skip PATH altogether and just walk outside. There's always quite a large mass of people walking along Front Street or Bremner on game days, especially when the weather is nice.

I think a lot of people also skip PATH altogether and just walk outside. There's always quite a large mass of people walking along Front Street or Bremner on game days, especially when the weather is nice.

Until last year, it had been 2-3 years that the Skywalk exit on the west side had been obstructed due to the aquarium construction, so more people ended up taking the routes outside PATH. During construction if you took the Skywalk you have to make a detour where the south convention centre is, and it was a pain in the ass.

Back