Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Exactly. Trains can now operate full separated from one another, so the GTS contract can be considered substantially complete. Don't forget, the GTS contracts were primarily the corridor bridge widenings & grade separations, so it's not hard to see why that contract is substantially complete, but there is still so much work ongoing in the corridor. Most of the remaining work that is currently ongoing is tied to UPX contracts (the UPX stations are most certainly different contracts, for example), or other unrelated contracts.

Exactly. Trains can now operate full separated from one another, so the GTS contract can be considered substantially complete. Don't forget, the GTS contracts were primarily the corridor bridge widenings & grade separations, so it's not hard to see why that contract is substantially complete, but there is still so much work ongoing in the corridor. Most of the remaining work that is currently ongoing is tied to UPX contracts (the UPX stations are most certainly different contracts, for example), or other unrelated contracts.

I thought that your comment included some question as to what they declared in december.....so was just bringing it forward to clarify that....don't see that in your post now so I must have imagined it.

Ah, that goes back to the old CN timetables ... for many, many years.

How has GO been managing their early April/early September/early January schedule changes? If I recall the 60-minute to 30-minute Lakeshore change was late June. Wouldn't that require a huge scheduling change?

Lets just say there were numerous violations of the collective agreement in the past... Moreso in the early years than now. I don't know how familiar you may or may not be with the system but its rather difficult to explain if your not familiar with it. But most of the time new job openings that come up are just run through the weekly PV bid. Every week we run a PV - 'permanent vacancy' bid. If a senior employee is returning to work you can be bumped off your job and you move down to the next job on your list. This can cause quite the cascade, sometimes almost akin to a change of card itself. The bumping only stops at the most junior employee effected who is then forced somewhere based on the companies needs. Conversely you can also take another job higher up on your list that has opened up if you are the senior most employee biding for it, then your job will be likewise filled and so on so forth. But otherwise you cannot be moved off your job during the weekly PV unlike a change of card. This is also what happens when new jobs open up like with the Milton line. People bid off their jobs to go onto those during the weekly bid. So unless its a major change/service increase the weekly PV bid does the job.

But for the biggest changes, 30 minute service & the UPX, require a general ad change of card. In these situations is quite understandable and is even preferable (i.e. as a whole there is an improvement in the quality of jobs - better hours, more consistent shift schedules). So certain exceptions can be made, though there is possibly some sort of resulting 'penalty' for having a change of card outside the stipulated dates.

Last edited:
But for the biggest changes, 30 minute service & the UPX, require a general ad change of card. In these situations is quite understandable and is even preferable (i.e. as a whole there is an improvement in the quality of jobs - better hours, more consistent shift schedules). So certain exceptions can be made, though there is possibly some sort of resulting 'penalty' for having a change of card outside the stipulated dates.

I'm sure that if there were a need for a 'change of card' that added a significant number of runs (and therefore jobs), the parties would find a way to make that happen rather than wait until the next 'official' date. Win-win works.

As to "substantial completion' - a new track with a gap of even only 1% isn't a victory, yet. As of today, only one of three tracks is in service. The GTS Project has issued a bulletin indicating that there will be work all weekend to shift tracks in the Dupont-Lansdowne area. Clearly we are getting close, but even one 'showstopper' is all it takes.

I'm personally a bit dubious that any of the new track which has been laid or ballasted since the ground froze will be usable until the spring - there may be a need to do further tamping and track adjustment once everything thaws.

- Paul

Speed will be lost in the Torbram area due to the new grade separation that will not be completed until 2016.
Have they, or are they also grade-separating Scarboro street too?
If so, this would mean there will no longer be any at-grade crossings in the Georgetown Corridor from Union station, all the way to Brampton!
(John & James Street in Brampton)

EDIT: I did a bit of additional digging, and found this tidbit on Brampton City's website about future work at John & James Street -- would this be a grade separation there? (Blocking off traffic, turning John Street South into a cul-de-sac, and adding a pedestrian overpass, seems to be the simplest solution). Other than Scarboro/Torbram, this is the only other at-grade crossing before Brampton GO station (except for Mill Street right after Brampton GO, which will require some clever creativity to grade-separate).

I'm sure that if there were a need for a 'change of card' that added a significant number of runs (and therefore jobs), the parties would find a way to make that happen rather than wait until the next 'official' date. Win-win works.
Can all 3 tracks become in service before GO's April schedule change?
That would be a favourable timing to see a service speed upgrade, even if not extra trains.

Last edited:
Can all 3 tracks become in service before GO's April schedule change?
That would be a favourable timing to see a service speed upgrade, even if not extra trains.

The short answer is, I think so....but I only have a spectator's view of what might be lagging.

The shifting of tracks this weekend suggests that the heavy construction work at Bloor is finished, and maybe at Lansdowne also. The other trackage gap is at the Weston station, which appears to be further along than Bloor. So the track gaps likely can be closed. The intermediate signals need to be turned on. The key interlockings are all on line, I don't know if all the intermediate blocks are fully wired and tested however. The stations at Bloor and Weston may or may not have to be completed for opening day.

For freight lines, new trackage is typically held under slow orders for the first million or so tons of traffic. Each freight train is roughly 10,000 tons - so at 20 trains a day, a million tons is five days' traffic. I have no idea how this would be done for a line that sees only passenger trains.

On the Weston Sub, a lot of the sub-ballast, geotextile, and the trackage and ballast itself has been laid since the ground froze last fall. I imagine the tampers will be out in earnest in a month or so, but the roadbed will generally "loosen up" in the spring thaw and have to be realigned. Again, it may be able to run under slow orders.

None of this prevents GO from setting a new schedule with some additional service. Faster service, however, may take into the summer....it's only a few minutes in any event.

- Paul

Last edited:
Weston GO Station
The island platform will be taken out of service on Monday, February 23 at the Weston GO Station to complete track work. Passengers will be able to get on and off the GO Trains using the side platform. This change will be in effect until the new UP Express service begins this spring. The exterior of the new station building is expected to be completed in March, with some interior work continuing into the spring. The new station building is expected to open in the spring.

Weston GO Station
The island platform will be taken out of service on Monday, February 23 at the Weston GO Station to complete track work. Passengers will be able to get on and off the GO Trains using the side platform. This change will be in effect until the new UP Express service begins this spring. The exterior of the new station building is expected to be completed in March, with some interior work continuing into the spring. The new station building is expected to open in the spring.

Weston GO Station

Correction: The island platform remains in service after this weekend and the side platform remains out of service. The exterior of the new station building is expected to be completed in March, with some interior work continuing into the spring. The new station building is expected to open in the spring.

Weston GO Station

Correction: The island platform remains in service after this weekend and the side platform remains out of service. The exterior of the new station building is expected to be completed in March, with some interior work continuing into the spring. The new station building is expected to open in the spring.

Is that update post-2:10 pm today? That was the time on the email they sent out (which my post was just a cut and paste from)

EDIT: I did a bit of additional digging, and found this tidbit on Brampton City's website about future work at John & James Street -- would this be a grade separation there? (Blocking off traffic, turning John Street South into a cul-de-sac, and adding a pedestrian overpass, seems to be the simplest solution). Other than Scarboro/Torbram, this is the only other at-grade crossing before Brampton GO station (except for Mill Street right after Brampton GO, which will require some clever creativity to grade-separate).

James was already closed and converted into a cul-de-sac at one end a few years ago now. John remains an at-grade crossing, the Brampton future work you pointed to suggests a re-alignment. If it were a grade separation, I think it would have warranted more documentation.

Last edited:
I am assuming based on both emails sent today, they have open up the new tunnel to the centre platform. If so, this will allow tracks 3 & 4 to be place in the station area and connect to the ones on Lawrence W bridge for the tunnel.

As for Scarboro St, that work should be done or close to from what I recall at council meetings. I know there was track work taking place at Derry Rd a week or so ago.

As for Brampton, John and James crossing was a hot issue in early 2000 when the 2nd track was proposed back then with one street being close. To put in a full grade separation will require tearing homes down. A cul-de-sac will be heavy opposed if one surface there. The pedestrian bridge would be opposed to a point, but will be accepted in the end.

The funny thing is the fact that John St may close and James becomes the underpass that is currently close on the south side. It will be interesting to see what surface for this crossing this year.

Can't recall if I have photos and videos for this crossing, but may have a few. Did a quick check and nothing is coming up at this time.

As for Mills separation, that will be a bitch to deal with as there are too many homes south of the crossing that will be effected by one. Railway St would either become a though road or become a cal-de-sac on both sides. The old Dominion Skate site would see no
cal-de-sac since the road would turn into it. Even north of the crossing has many issues as well.

This map will show both crossing
https://www.google.ca/maps/search/Railway+st+brampton/@43.6872077,-79.7609195,17z

Edit: If tunnel is in service, then the station is non accessibility since no elevators were installed back in Dec for both ends. No way the north one is at this time,

Last edited:
Not sure how many people have seen this, but I found it on the GTS website, and it provides some interesting insight into potential train frequency for the GTS corridor.

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 00.59.15.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 00.59.15.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 00.59.15.png
    206 KB · Views: 549

Back