Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

April board/card change.
That's normally the 1st Monday in April, isn't it? April 6? Though presumably they'd be running the trains empty for a little while, to get the kinks out.

Though April 6 is Easter Monday this year.

So presumably by mid-April sometime. Which matches the whispering I've heard.

So... do we know when this thing is launching?

Depends what "this thing" you are referring to.

The title of this thread suggests it is dealing with two topics....one of which (the UPe) seems to be the overwhelming popular topic and there is ample suggestion they will meet their "spring 2015" projected opening (spring running from March 21 - June 21).....the other (likely the more important from a regional transportation point of view) is the overall GTS project which is supposed to bring expanded GO service.....GO/ML have gotten all silent on that topic and except for the ocassional poster (with knowledge) hinting at "september" or "after the Pan Ams" there is no indicated time frame for that.

Depends what "this thing" you are referring to ...
Given it was asked and answered, I think it was abundantly clear which thing he was referring to.

It's no secret that the UP Express launches Spring (early to mid-April it seems) and the service increase on the Kitchener line occurs in September.

Given it was asked and answered, I think it was abundantly clear which thing he was referring to.

It's no secret that the UP Express launches Spring (early to mid-April it seems) and the service increase on the Kitchener line occurs in September.

GO and ML are, publicly at least, working very hard to keep the last part secret.

...the other (likely the more important from a regional transportation point of view) is the overall GTS project which is supposed to bring expanded GO service.....GO/ML have gotten all silent on that topic and except for the ocassional poster (with knowledge) hinting at "september" or "after the Pan Ams" there is no indicated time frame for that.

GO very rarely officially announces subsidized service improvements prior to getting them funding (Ontario budget release). Murry had a bad habit of leaking things to the press but Del Duca doesn't seem to have that affliction.

I would expect announcement timing would be very near their June 25th meeting. March 3rd seems early to me and likely to have other news worthy things like an official UPX start date.

Last edited:
GO very rarely officially announces subsidized service improvements prior to getting them funding (Ontario budget release).
Indeed. I don't think there's been a major rail service increase (and barely a minor rail one) that hasn't been discussed here in advance.

Though I believe they have commented that there would be no service increases on Georgetown until at least after the Pan Ams. Elsewhere on the website they discuss opening day service on the line starting in 2015. Given the only scheduled 2015 service change after the Pan Am games, it's not difficult to figure out the date of the service increase. Which matches the rumours we've heard.

I would expect announcement timing would be very near their June 25th meeting. March 3rd seems early to me and likely to have other news worthy things like an official UPX start date.
I'd expect sometime in the summer ... but given the likely negative reaction once the UP service starts in April, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce Kitchener changes early, in order to mitigate the fall out.

Indeed. I don't think there's been a major rail service increase (and barely a minor rail one) that hasn't been discussed here in advance.

Though I believe they have commented that there would be no service increases on Georgetown until at least after the Pan Ams. Elsewhere on the website they discuss opening day service on the line starting in 2015. Given the only scheduled 2015 service change after the Pan Am games, it's not difficult to figure out the date of the service increase. Which matches the rumours we've heard.

I'd expect sometime in the summer ... but given the likely negative reaction once the UP service starts in April, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce Kitchener changes early, in order to mitigate the fall out.

Other than posters here giving "inside" scoops....I don't think there have been any public proclamations/statements by any GO/ML/MoT people to that effect. Likely because they know how ridiculous it would sound to be, on the one hand, making major plans for transportation for a region wide event while, simultaneously, saying they have a major transportation corridor ready to carry people but that they are delaying it until after that major event.

Other than posters here giving "inside" scoops....I don't think there have been any public proclamations/statements by any GO/ML/MoT people to that effect.
I thought that there had been a comment somewhere from Metrolinx that there'd be no service increase on the Kitchener line before the games.

Likely because they know how ridiculous it would sound to be, on the one hand, making major plans for transportation for a region wide event while, simultaneously, saying they have a major transportation corridor ready to carry people but that they are delaying it until after that major event.
Makes perfect sense to me. The extra service for the games will require equipment and staff, so start the regularly scheduled service after they they get over that hump.

Agreed, that would be a wise thing to do. The introduction of UPX without accompanying GO service boosts may leave Kitchener line passengers a bit angry, but if they know "my increased service is coming on this date", it's much easier to swallow than "my increased service will be coming eventually". For what it's worth, I would think the Tuesday after Labour Day would be a logical time to start the increased service: summer vacation is over for students, and most people are back at work. It's also the time that many new students are forming commuting habits.

I thought that there had been a comment somewhere from Metrolinx that there'd be no service increase on the Kitchener line before the games.

As you may be aware ( ;) ) I follow this matter fairly closely and I have not seen any statements to that effect....and in the (many) opportunities I have given people to answer the question directly to me...none of them have ever mentioned the games.

Makes perfect sense to me. The extra service for the games will require equipment and staff, so start the regularly scheduled service after they they get over that hump.

It makes no sense to me. Both the games and the completion date of the GTS have been known for years......proper planning would have had service increase on the line in time for the games......while asking GTA residents to cut their car trips by 20% during the games (as they have) they could be saying "and if you are coming from the NW we have this shiny new service to help you with that".

Agreed, that would be a wise thing to do. The introduction of UPX without accompanying GO service boosts may leave Kitchener line passengers a bit angry, but if they know "my increased service is coming on this date", it's much easier to swallow than "my increased service will be coming eventually". For what it's worth, I would think the Tuesday after Labour Day would be a logical time to start the increased service: summer vacation is over for students, and most people are back at work. It's also the time that many new students are forming commuting habits.

Other than the extra tracks which could hopefully lead to an increase in service, this project & the grade separations should have sped up the GO trains travelling this corridor, right?

Anyone know the travel time reduction expected? (and has it already happened?)

As you may be aware ( ;) ) I follow this matter fairly closely and I have not seen any statements to that effect....and in the (many) opportunities I have given people to answer the question directly to me...none of them have ever mentioned the games.
I'm not aware. Something is in the back of my mind, so I can't swear to it. No, I didn't think it mentioned the games. I thought it referenced not until at least the fall, or something ... but I certainly don't have anything at hand!

It makes no sense to me. Both the games and the completion date of the GTS have been known for years......proper planning would have had service increase on the line in time for the games......while asking GTA residents to cut their car trips by 20% during the games (as they have) they could be saying "and if you are coming from the NW we have this shiny new service to help you with that".
They have to do two staffing increases - 1 for the UP, and 2 for the increased Georgetown service. Not a surprise, that they won't be simultaneous.

Is everything in place from Etobicoke to Mount Pleasant yet for full-day service? I'm not sure what construction is currently ongoing, other than the signalling upgrades which should be finished mid-year or so. Where does dark territory begin?

UPX train passing through Union just now.

FGy3Tvr.jpg

Other than the extra tracks which could hopefully lead to an increase in service, this project & the grade separations should have sped up the GO trains travelling this corridor, right?

Anyone know the travel time reduction expected? (and has it already happened?)

There have been no adjustments to schedules if that is what you mean. I have, however, noticed that on a few of my most recent trips there has been a longer stop time at some stations (even some with announcements that say this train will be leaving in 2 minutes) which never used to happen before........a layman's observation is that they have picked up small amounts of travel speed but since the schedules have not been adjusted they are making sure they are at each station at the scheduled time. Others with more direct knowledge would know for sure.

Back