Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

they just need to get rid of those abandoned end platform things.

Those platforms will be rebuilt when the station become twin station with 2 trains on the same track. One reason for and east and west GO Concourse.

Milton, Barrie and KW will use the west side with others using the east.

The Lakeshore will see the same thing for extra trains at peak time as well off peak with the odd straight though run since the west will see more service than the east in the coming years.

If they bring those platforms back into service (were they ever in service? I don't recall) would they extend the shed? And how would access work? That's just fill under there, isn't it?

After construction is finished and the missing track is put back I think they'll (again) be physically capable of doing that, but it generally won't happen so as to avoid getting in the way of an UP train dwelling at its platform. Some time ago when the project was first being planned I recall reading they were expecting to turn over platform 3 (track 1) inside the train shed over exclusively to Richmond Hill trains, which enter and exit from the Bay Street end and thus allow the track to be cohabitated on quite efficiently. Perhaps one of our insiders knows if that's still the plan.

There was a plan at one point to build a new track leading off of one to service the UP trains. It seems that is no longer the case.

My contact there is working on the signalling contract and not the structures, so he's not sure anymore what they seem to be doing with the UP platforms. The signalling system there isn't going to be any different than anywhere else.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

they just need to get rid of those abandoned end platform things.

If by "abandoned end platform things" you mean the asphalt platforms outside the shed then those aren't necessarily abandoned... they are used for longer trains like the Canadian in peak season. The tracks that VIA versus GO is using has changed over the years so probably some haven't seen use for a long time, but if VIA shifts tracks during the shed renovations which I believe will eventually result in every platform getting new cement and tracks laid down it is possible those asphalt end platforms will see use.

Been thinking about pricing. Say a one-way trip will cost around $22-25, maybe GO will have different price plans:

I.e.:
1 way will be around $22.50
Round trip will be $40.00 (so $20 each way)

Now, sell weekly and monthly passes to people (probably local residents who need to use the train to get to Pearson for work)

1 week pass for $120.00 (assuming you use the train there and back for 5 days a week, then cost comes to around $12.00 per trip)
1 month pass for $400.00 (assuming you use the train there and back for 5 days a week for 4 weeks, then cost comes to around $10.00 per trip, which is not bad).

Was at Pearson T1 this week but had no time to linger. It looks like UPX and the Link train platforms will essentially be beside each other? That will help somewhat for T3 transfers since UPX won't go there.

In unconnected/OT news, I would happily kicked the idiot who devised the numbering system for the Value Park GTAA Garage in the nuts if I encountered him. How you can devise a system as supposedly precise as "2 G - 9" and then have that number cover two sets of parking spots either side of a wall but with the ones on the other side of the wall a whole level below eludes me.

20140406_192348.jpg

Photo: April 6 from parking garage looking into station entrance.

Video below from Link train pulling into station. Was late evening, sorry for quality.

[video=youtube;sQmkVozCm7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQmkVozCm7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Attachments

• 20140406_192348.jpg
    20140406_192348.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 879
Been thinking about pricing. Say a one-way trip will cost around $22-25, maybe GO will have different price plans:

I.e.:
1 way will be around $22.50
Round trip will be $40.00 (so $20 each way)

I still think the one way fare will be closer to $30 in the $28-$30 range. It is still cheaper than a $53 flat rate + gratuity taxi to downtown, and Metrolinx has been adamant that UPX will be cost-recoverable.

Last edited:
Saw Kathy Haley speaking at a breakfast yesterday....she advised that pricing is still being worked on and should be announced later this year. Launch date for the service is "around this time next year" and we should see some of the trains on various GO corridors getting tested in the fall of this year.

One question that she fielded was whether seats can be reserved.....the answer is no....you can buy tickets in advance but you just show up at Union and hope there is a spot on the train....they are fairly confident that 180 seats every 15 minutes should provide enough capacity for the system. No way to increase the capacity of the actual trains so if demand exceeds capacity the only way to meet that demand would be to increase headways.

No way to increase the capacity of the actual trains so if demand exceeds capacity the only way to meet that demand would be to increase headways.

Despite what Mrs. Haley said publicly, that's not true at all. One-third of the 18 vehicles coming are specifically designed to fit in between two of the rounded-cab end units, allowing them to extend each train from 2 to 3 cars long. That would give another ~90 seats per train.

Those same cars are also powered with two cabs, allowing them to run one-car trains should the need arise.

They can also decrease the headways, but that will begin to cause issues with the terminal at Union Station. 5 trains per hour is the limit that they can run, at least with the infrastructure that will be in place on day 1 at Union.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

One question that she fielded was whether seats can be reserved.....the answer is no....you can buy tickets in advance but you just show up at Union and hope there is a spot on the train....they are fairly confident that 180 seats every 15 minutes should provide enough capacity for the system. No way to increase the capacity of the actual trains so if demand exceeds capacity the only way to meet that demand would be to increase headways.

If 180 seats every 15 minutes isn't enough, they can simply bump the price by 50% and turn enough of a profit to buy more equipment.

This service is not for price sensitive users so market based pricing should be used.

Frequent GO service from Brampton/Mississauga and a shuttle/people mover to the Malton GO stop is more along the lines of what airport employees require.

Last edited:
Despite what Mrs. Haley said publicly, that's not true at all. One-third of the 18 vehicles coming are specifically designed to fit in between two of the rounded-cab end units, allowing them to extend each train from 2 to 3 cars long. That would give another ~90 seats per train.

Those same cars are also powered with two cabs, allowing them to run one-car trains should the need arise.

They can also decrease the headways, but that will begin to cause issues with the terminal at Union Station. 5 trains per hour is the limit that they can run, at least with the infrastructure that will be in place on day 1 at Union.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

she stated the limitation on expanding the trains is the available space for a platform/station at Pearson. It can't be made bigger she says so the size of the trains at the onset is the size they will stay with.

Back