Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

And yet Bramalea provides more riders to the line than any other station and Brampton is second.

If you are talking about right at the station, yes it is in an industrial zone...just like Etobicoke North and Malton are.....but how far up Bramalea Road do you need to go to find residential? Dixie?
...Bramalea Road and Dixie Road are parallel to one another.
The real residential density begins around Bramalea Rd and Clark Blvd.

Last edited:
drum, I respect you and your knowledge but I have to say, people are rightfully upset about all day service not happnening soon. You can't tell me they can't at least do 1/2 hour service from Bramlea to Union from 9:30 to 15:30 and 19:00 to 23:30 and vice versa. It ridiculous they have spent all this money and won't serve the people that acutally live along the corridor outside Weston/ the northern part of the former city of york. They are dragging their feet.

Totally agree, but as I have written in a draft report, Metrolinx has a number of issues beyond its controls and it starts with the FRA standards for engineers. FRA says 2 year min while Europe is between 26-41 weeks with no experience for someone to be an engineer. In some cases it can be up to 160 weeks and not sure why and most likely high speed lines.

The first goal for Metrolinx is to find crews for the UPX for 2015. RH will see all day in 2016 and that the next area crews are needed. There will be a few more trains added to other lines.

There is a training program for engineers for GO underway now, but it means huge investment to have personnel on the books doing it as well having trainer teaching them.

With crews being cut from 3 to 2, it will help to free more people to be train, but not everyone will take that seat at the end since they fail the program.

To put a train on the line you need to know the total round trip time, layover time, time for crews to check in and out, hours of operation to find out the number of crews that will be needed to run that train 7 days a week. At the same time, you need someone to fill the spare board to cover for crews who are on holiday, sick or need to be off and must be part of the number for the that train on line. Overtime will help to fill some spots, but not all of them. For every train on the Lakeshore line, you need about 5.2 person per train.

By rights, the Milton line was supposed to be all day by 2011 with the 3rd track in place, yet that 3rd tack is not there for most of the line and to be 4 tracks by 2023. If that did place, some of the increase of service the last few years wouldn't had taken place due to lack of crews.

Since there is a shortage of engineers, the RR will try to steal crews from GO like they have in the past to deal with the issue. At the same time GO & the RR are having crews retiring as they put in the time, or walk away due to stress issues.

I have said in my report that Metrolinx must transparent by tell the public the real issues it faces today, how they have to be deal with, who is responsible for them and some sort of timetable when thing can change for the better.

I have bitch to the power to be for the lack of 30 minutes on the Lakeshore too long that it finally happen last year as there were crews to do it, the corridor for most of it was now own by Metrolinx. It wasn't because of me, but they knew it was needed as far back in the 80's, but control by CN.

The other area that comes in to play is maintenance and staff to do it. Once you start running trains longer than they due today, there is more wear and tear not only on the rolling stock, but the infrastructure they run on.

So until the FRA standard are change and you know a pile of engineers who want to work for GO, you aren't going to get what you wanted until 2016-18

Last edited:
...Bramalea Road and Dixie Road are parallel to one another.

Really? ;)

I know....point I was making (not well, I see) is that going north on either of those parallel roads you don't have to go far to get to residential areas. Mostly lower density, some medium (townhouses) and a few (and growing slowly) apartment buildings.

Irrespective of its density and the immediate station area of factories......the station is, by far, the busiest station on the line.

Last edited:
Bramalea is busy because of park-and-ride. And the parking lots are already full. It seems like ridership growth in the Georgetown corridor will come primarly from Brampton, Mt Pleasant, Weston, Bloor, etc. All-day service just to Bramalea seems pointless to me. It's a wasteland.

Bramalea is busy because of park-and-ride. And the parking lots are already full. It seems like ridership growth in the Georgetown corridor will come primarly from Brampton, Mt Pleasant, Weston, Bloor, etc. All-day service just to Bramalea seems pointless to me. It's a wasteland.

I agree with part of that.....all day should go through Brampton to Mt. Pleasant and maybe Georgetown. Disagree that the parking lot at Bramalea is "always full"...I quite often take the latest train out of Brampton and sit at the back of the train on the south side (my fave spot to sit) so when it stops in Bramalea I have a terrific view of the south parking lot....never have I seen it full. One day (for fun) I drove to Bramalea for the 9:40 a.m. train and parked in that lot in about the 5th row of cars from the track.

What is really impressive (noticebly so) is the growth in usage of the DT Brampton station since the late departure was added and the 6:50 p.m. homeward train was extended past Bramalea. I used to wonder if I was the only one avoiding GO because the late train meant a loooong bus connection that nearly doubled the commute time back to my original starting point. There may be other reasons that DT Brampton station is seeing larger crowds getting off of the trains at night but it started around the same time those later trains were provided.

Is any information how it will pass through the Queen&Dufferin area?
I would appreciate

If Yee do some back reading, Yee will find answers

Thanks for the videos & photos drum118, the video was eerily beautiful, I thought.

Just curious, is this a hobby for you, or is your job related to transit, since you seem so knowledgable.

Is anyone else confused that we have yet to see an actual UPX trainset built?

All we have seen are mockups/3d graphics.

I am surprised that this thing is supposed to launch 2015 and we have yet to even see/been delivered a trainset.

Don't they need to do testing etc with it?

Is anyone else confused that we have yet to see an actual UPX trainset built?

All we have seen are mockups/3d graphics.

I am surprised that this thing is supposed to launch 2015 and we have yet to even see/been delivered a trainset.

Don't they need to do testing etc with it?

First car will be delivered next month - it is virtually complete, and only needs to have some more in-house testing done at the plant before they're ready to ship it. Unlike with transit vehicles, the interface with the track and signalling systems are a known quantity and covered by various rules and regulations.

The rest of the cars will be delivered by the end of the year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Any pics of it?

Nippon Sharyo in my opinion have created some pretty butt-ugly trains in the past, and I have a feeling the final look and feel of it will look nothing like the design.

Any pics of it?

Nippon Sharyo in my opinion have created some pretty butt-ugly trains in the past, and I have a feeling the final look and feel of it will look nothing like the design.

I thought they were identical to some other vehicle already in service and Ontario saved some money by just tagging along on that order? I may have made that up on a Nyquil induced sleep dream.

I thought they were identical to some other vehicle already in service and Ontario saved some money by just tagging along on that order? I may have made that up on a Nyquil induced sleep dream.

Not already in service.

They are being built for San Fran area transit as well, but they haven't been built yet for them either.

Any pics of it?

Yes, there've been photos if you go back a few pages. Here's one of the California train, and here's one of ours.

Certainly more of a looker than some of the garbage Nippon Sharyo has made for Metra in Chicago.

Back