Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think what he/she is saying is that even if it isn't a financial white elephant, it is a waste of space on a valuable rail corridor, which he/she would prefer to see a more TTC subway style service on.

But that's not the meaning of 'white elephant' k10ery keeps mentioning how the UPE will be a white elephant. Not that there is a better use of the space...

Furthermore, a subway service in Weston? I mean really? If you think the Sheppard line is underused... Talk about white elephants...

Last edited:
@drum: So the $400/hr is operators and fuel, but not maintenance? I thought that might be so. I found an engineering study online for DMUs in commuter service that used $50/mile as the operation plus maintenance cost. That works out to $900 per trip on the UPE.

I'd imagine that figure probably includes all costs. Crewing and fuel take up a similar % of expenses and if there's one thing I can tell you its that we don't make 100$ per hr, although I sure wish we did lol :p

I'd imagine that figure probably includes all costs. Crewing and fuel take up a similar % of expenses and if there's one thing I can tell you its that we don't make 100$ per hr, although I sure wish we did lol :p

Wouldn't be surprised if the engineer alone cost the GO $60/hour.

Sure, your pay as engineer might be $30/hour ($62,000 per year; a guess) but you have a supervisor, management, payroll, training, taxes, HR, legal, ... You probably don't have office space, so that helps, but do you get a transportation credit?

Legal can actually be a big one. It only takes 1 employee to win a lawsuit for a massive cost to be incurred and accounting will divide that up as a per-employee cost as the risk scales with head count.

When hiring, my minimum target for new income (or preserved income) is 3x the employees salary. When that multiplier drops below 2x, layoffs are approaching.

Last edited:

If you did, there would be a convoy of engineer applying for positions to fold-fill the lack of engineers now as well having crews for future expansion. Not the case.

$400/hr should be the going rate based on US numbers, but the kicker is how to deal with the government new funding rules. The money being invested in the expansion of the corridors has to be paid back over X years at X rate if there is an X rate in the first place. What that amount is unknown to me at this time.

The $400 includes everything that is needed to run the company (Metrolinx) from the CEO to the cleaners. You name it and it should be in the list of items that is needed to operated Metrolinx on a daily based.

It cost TTC about $125/hr to put a bus on the road and higher for the subway and streetcars as they have different cost involved in running them.

Even thought TTC buys through the City of Toronto bond market for major capital cost, they have to carry in their budget the cost of the bond and interest yearly to pay off those cost over X time frame. We are talking a few $100's of million something most people don't know.

For those who may want to watch the West Toronto Diamond move this weekend, this is the schedule at the time and subject to change. Will have a better time frame on Friday afternoon. Everything is subject on CP, the weather and unknown.

All GO and VIA train will be using the Newmarket/Barrie Line this weekend with longer travel time.

The Contractor will be on site at 2 am Sept 1 and start work at 3 am for the removal of one of the 2 CP Mainline. It is expected that CP will hand off the whole area at 5 am to allow the removal of the 2nd track.

Earth will be removed up to 2m under the 900mm thick bridge to allow enough room to weld the bridge to the retaining wall. Rest of the earth will be remove later.

About 10 am, the bridge will start to be move into position and take a few hours for the slide.

The only location you can shoot from is along the west side of the corridor is at Old Weston Rd. Not sure if you will be able to shoot from the Toronto Water Pump Station land. Will find out Friday afternoon.

This will be the first RR bridge in Canada to have this type of bridge. The bridge is 900mm thick x 11m wide and 36m long of precast concrete section and post tension before the move.

Why don't they do a soundwall with ivy on either side? You still get the same acoustic benefits, and then that way you don't get the graffiti problem. Ivy is also very low maintenance.

I would imagine one of the issues with ivy (or any creeping vine for that matter) is the damage it does to the concrete wall.

For those who may want to watch the West Toronto Diamond move this weekend, this is the schedule at the time and subject to change. Will have a better time frame on Friday afternoon. Everything is subject on CP, the weather and unknown.

All GO and VIA train will be using the Newmarket/Barrie Line this weekend with longer travel time.

The Contractor will be on site at 2 am Sept 1 and start work at 3 am for the removal of one of the 2 CP Mainline. It is expected that CP will hand off the whole area at 5 am to allow the removal of the 2nd track.

Earth will be removed up to 2m under the 900mm thick bridge to allow enough room to weld the bridge to the retaining wall. Rest of the earth will be remove later.

About 10 am, the bridge will start to be move into position and take a few hours for the slide.

The only location you can shoot from is along the west side of the corridor is at Old Weston Rd. Not sure if you will be able to shoot from the Toronto Water Pump Station land. Will find out Friday afternoon.

This will be the first RR bridge in Canada to have this type of bridge. The bridge is 900mm thick x 11m wide and 36m long of precast concrete section and post tension before the move.

Are they doing a Queensway-style rapid bridge replacement? Those are pretty cool to see. They just did the 4th and 5th ones along the Queensway in Ottawa this summer.

I would imagine one of the issues with ivy (or any creeping vine for that matter) is the damage it does to the concrete wall.

Does it? I've only really seen it growing on brick, and it seems to leave the brick in pretty good shape. Concrete may be different though, I honestly have no idea.

Does it? I've only really seen it growing on brick, and it seems to leave the brick in pretty good shape. Concrete may be different though, I honestly have no idea.

seems to be a source of debate....so I doubt that they would take the chance.

Are they doing a Queensway-style rapid bridge replacement? Those are pretty cool to see. They just did the 4th and 5th ones along the Queensway in Ottawa this summer.

No idea. If they took one bridge out as one piece and place another in in it place as one piece, then no.

The bridge is setting on a steel & aluminum bronze slide paths plates place on top of the retaining wall and will be push into place over a 2-3 hour time frame.

To move this bridge requires 2 set of computerized high-speed tandem hydraulic jacks to push this bridge into position.

I wouldn't call it a bridge, but a deck span.

No idea. If they took one bridge out as one piece and place another in in it place as one piece, then no.

The bridge is setting on a steel & aluminum bronze slide paths plates place on top of the retaining wall and will be push into place over a 2-3 hour time frame.

To move this bridge requires 2 set of computerized high-speed tandem hydraulic jacks to push this bridge into position.

I wouldn't call it a bridge, but a deck span.

Sounds similar, but not quite the same. In Ottawa the bridge was literally on a series of computer-controlled wheels, and was wheeled from a nearby staging area and dropped into place where the old span was. The old span was wheeled out and the new one was wheeled in in less than 24 hours. They closed the highway at noon on Saturday and it was open by noon on Sunday.

Similar concept, but I think the application is a little bit different. Still pretty cool to see though. Here's a timelapse video of the most recent replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veLp4MrljEM

EDIT: Here's a better one of the replacement they did on the eastbound Carling bridge in 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3w9K7JeMLc

Last edited:

Back