Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

You all seem to be missing the point! Which is, it seems they expect these station upgrades to be completed at about the same time as they expect HSR trains to be running on the system.

:p

I am still praying that one of the first things Justin does after (by the looks of it inevitably) wins power in 2015 is giving funding to HSR.

One can dream can't he?

I am still praying that one of the first things Justin does after (by the looks of it inevitably) wins power in 2015 is giving funding to HSR.
Trudeau lied when he promised HSR in 1980s. Like father like son. (though to be fair, I guess it was Lyin' Brian who stopped the funding).

One can dream can't he?
We don't even have electric trains here in Toronto and we want to leap all the way to HSR??

[h=2]UP Express Electrification Environmental Assessment – Public Open House[/h] Metrolinx completed the GO Electrification Study in December 2010, which examined electrification of the entire GO Transit rail system as a future alternative to diesel trains currently in service. Based on the findings of this study, Metrolinx initiated the Environmental Assessment (EA) for electrification of the Union Pearson (UP) Express service from Union Station to Toronto Pearson International Airport. As part of the EA process, Metrolinx is holding a series of Public Open Houses to share a project update and seek feedback. Interested persons are encouraged to attend the Open Houses:

Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Viscount Station
6100 Viscount Road
Mississauga, ON L4V 1B4
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Monday, June 10, 2013
Metro Hall
Room 314
55 John Street
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6

Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Mimico Presbyterian Church
119 Mimico Avenue
Etobicoke, ON M8V 1R6

Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Weston Legion
1050 Weston Road
Toronto, ON M6N 3S2

We don't even have electric trains here in Toronto and we want to leap all the way to HSR??
High speed Rail seems to start at operating speeds of 200 km/hr. Many of Britain's high speed 200 km/hr (125 miles per hour) lines are diesel.

Last edited:
High speed Rail seems to start at operating speeds of 200 km/hr. Many of Britain's high speed 200 km/hr (125 miles per hour) lines are diesel.
Rail infrastructure in Canada is stuck in the stone ages, we need to get to expand and improve on what we have instead of dreaming of high speed rail.

Single level GO trains on the LSE? No thank yew.

Seen from the same angle one of the new cab cars in the grey livery might have looked sharp:

Attachments

• tn_ca-gotransit-bombardier-bilevel-revised-impression_903730be9e.jpg
    tn_ca-gotransit-bombardier-bilevel-revised-impression_903730be9e.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 714
Rail infrastructure in Canada is stuck in the stone ages, we need to get to expand and improve on what we have instead of dreaming of high speed rail.

much of the Toronto-Montreal corridor already runs at 160 km/h. it isn't that big of a leap (with the exception of electrification) to bring it up to 250km/h.

much of the Toronto-Montreal corridor already runs at 160 km/h. it isn't that big of a leap (with the exception of electrification) to bring it up to 250km/h.
Bring to 200 km/hr perhaps. Huge alignment changes to bring it to 250 km/hr. Too many curves are too tight.

Canada's antiquated infrastructure is an argument for high speed rail, not an argument against it. Why spend billions upgrading old lines to 200km/h when for the same money you could build a new line that would go 300km/h?

Canada's antiquated infrastructure is an argument for high speed rail, not an argument against it. Why spend billions upgrading old lines to 200km/h when for the same money you could build a new line that would go 300km/h?

It's better to spend the billions needed for high speed rail which will move not many people on improving the likes of GO Transit which move substantially more people and are more important to the daily lives of Canadians, you get more bang for your buck.

Toronto to Montreal alone is estimated at more than 9 billion dollars: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/11/15/high-speed-rail-canada_n_1095309.html

People are complaining about how expensive the Big Move is and you think the public will buy this???

It's better to spend the billions needed for high speed rail which will move not many people on improving the likes of GO Transit which move substantially more people and are more important to the daily lives of Canadians, you get more bang for your buck.

Toronto to Montreal alone is estimated at more than 9 billion dollars: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/11/15/high-speed-rail-canada_n_1095309.html

I am well aware of the costs (and benefits) of High Speed Rail, and I do certainly agree that regional rail investment has a much higher bang-for-buck than HSR. I was merely saying that if we do want fast trains, we aren't saving much money by upgrading tracks rather than building new lines.

But rail funding comes from the government, and the government is run by politics. HSR is more palatable to the federal government because it will get them more votes even though it moves fewer people. It would spread across two provinces, whereas individual regional rail projects would just be within urban areas (Toronto and Montreal). It's similar to the reason that we got a subway to Vaughan before a DRL, or the reason Metrolinx funds ultra glam BRT on Highway 7, while cutting corners all over Toronto LRT route designs.

People are complaining about how expensive the Big Move is and you think the public will buy this???

Will the public buy this? Maybe. I can tell that you are comparing apples to apples, but the public typically does not. The media can get people all riled up about a thousand dollars being misspent, while billions of dollars pass under the table unnoticed. Think about the federal budget, then think about the cost of the projects that get slammed in the media as wastes of money. High-speed rail is a really flashy project that I suspect people would support if the media portrayed it positively.

Last edited:
2014 is going to make or break having this line 100% completed by early 2015.

Bloor Station:
All the stair wells have been back fill. Shoring in place for the east and west wall new retaining walls to be built.

Not sure why shoring is in place north of Bloor for the north platform unless it part of a underpass to get to the southbound platform and then onto TTC future connection.

The Diamond:
From what I could see from the Railpath, the floor slab is now in place where it ramps to the Dupont bridge. The grade looks a lot more than 2% and that may have to do with no real grading in place at this location at this time.

During all the EA meeting and various meeting since then, Metrolinx has talked about how the new tunnel would be push into place under CP tracks. What will be taking place for this move is a U channel section that will be a a few feet high that will set on a steel plate before being move into position. The area where this U channel box will finally place is not ready for it as the concrete wall footing still has to be form and pour. The west section will not be an issue, but the east will require some extra work. The east section is in a box frame. When it comes time to move the U channel into position, it will require that box to torn done along withe removal of the existing tracks and road bed.

This work will require a full weekend and more preferably a long weekend when less train are on the line. July is out now and looks like September at this time.

Considering CP shuts down the track from Lampton Yard to The Mactire Sub in July, this would be the time frame to get both the new track tunnel and Old Weston Rd built, but far from that point at this time to do so at this time.

They are staring to work on the west retaining wall at the north end and have fencing up on the east side where the retaining wall starts the ramp

Black Creek.
Shoring has taken place on the west side from Rogers Rd to the Black Creek Bridge support and only can think a retaining wall is plan for this area now for what every reason where the original Track 1 ran all these decades without issues.

2 of the 3 original steel bridges have been removed and are sitting in the work compound to the north. Shoring is taking place for the new south support and work is taking place on extending the new pier support where the old one were since they have been torn down.

Ray Ave.
Didn't stop off there, but work was taking place from what I could see from Dennison Ave.

Dennison Ave
Very little work has taken place since my last visit and surprise to see this.

CP crews were working to reinstall the crossing gate since the new track is in place and ready to be cut back into the main line.

Could see some shoring taking place up by the station.

John St.
John is close to eastbound traffic as waterline line is taking place on it.

Part of the west retaining wall is in place with work on the east just starting. Looks like part of the floor ramp has been pour at the Lawrence Ave area.

Next to no work has taken place between John and Church from my last visit and don't see the King bridge being in place for September as plan. Until they get King bridge in place, neither Church or John St can be close off.

I was expecting to see some retaining wall work started, but not to be.

North of Church St has seen next to no work also, especially no retaining wall since this is the ramp area.

Weston Rd
The east support wall is completed and waiting final work for the new bridges. The west retaining wall is still form, but not strip.

Humber Bridge.
From what I could see from Weston Rd, the new bridges are in place with railing on it.

Back