Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I have seen buses running full both during off peak and peak time to the point I had to stand the whole route. I use the route very rare myself also and cannot speak for all the times.

I too have had to stand at times. It's an interesting and slightly scary experience flying along the 427 in a crush-loaded bus (though half the crush is luggage rather than people).

Regardless of the price I'm pretty sure transit geeks would converge on it on opening day. Although they probably will only go on it one way!

As I don't think TTC has any 100% low-floor buses, and won't be buying any in the next 10 weeks, surely it just means some luggage racks in the existing vehicles.
Here's a better idea that will never happen: double-decker low-floor buses with luggage racks (and seats, space for wheelchairs) on lower deck.

If the business class are going to use it then let a private business pay for. The taxpayers of Ontario are paying for this lien so it is the taxpayers who should benefit from it not tourists or business people coming into the city for a weekend. This line does nothing for the avergae person and certainly absolutely nothing for the thousands who work in and areound Pearson.

I hope the Weston Community wins their case and can bring this travesty to an end. If they do you would be amased at how Metrolinx suddenly found the money to electrify it and how it won't take 4 or 5 years to do so but can all of a sudden do it in 18 months max. It's amasing what can be accomplished when you hold a bullet to one's head.

The people along the route, to say nothing of the long suffering Torontonian transit users, are 100% right in their objection to this line. Once the Pan Am Games are over Metrolinx has no intention of electrifying this line in our lifetime. They know that it will yet another line that will no doubt have "further review" but nothing will happen. If Metrolinx had an once of integrity and accountability, they may beable to take them at their word but Metrolinx's {and the TTC's for that matter} reputation is shot with Torontonians and with dame good reason. They have absolutely no reason to trust either entity and know that this is the only chance they have of bringing this affront to Ontario taxpayers to a halt.

Is there some sort of legal agreement that out and out bars/prevents GO from offering any type of service on this line? IIRC back when it was a fully private project (forget the name of the company) I think there might have been, but now that it is a metrolinx project I see no reason why GO can't run on this line other than GO's own rationale.

Is there some sort of legal agreement that out and out bars/prevents GO from offering any type of service on this line? IIRC back when it was a fully private project (forget the name of the company) I think there might have been, but now that it is a metrolinx project I see no reason why GO can't run on this line other than GO's own rationale.

Dead minds and trying to make a buck.

I liked the idea I heard of GO running more frequently to Malton GO and extending the people mover to Malton.

I liked the idea I heard of GO running more frequently to Malton GO and extending the people mover to Malton.
The current people mover can't be extended to Malton. It's only designed to be extended to a second terminal at Terminal 1. You would need to either completely replace it, or build a second one. If one were to do that, I'd extend it to Renforth station at the other end. Or why not just complete the Eglinton line to Pearson and extend that to Malton?

Can the existing piers for the people mover be used to carry LRT?

Probably not. The people mover is very light and the piers were likely built to hold that weight.

Pearson does have a basic plan for accomodating LRT in the basement of T1. If you extend Finch West to Pearson and have decent frequencies on it (5 minutes), it could pick up passengers from the GO station and drop them off at T1.

Last edited:
The current people mover can't be extended to Malton. It's only designed to be extended to a second terminal at Terminal 1. You would need to either completely replace it, or build a second one. If one were to do that, I'd extend it to Renforth station at the other end. Or why not just complete the Eglinton line to Pearson and extend that to Malton?

It's a shame the part of the Eglinton LRT to Pearson got "postponed".

Can the existing piers for the people mover be used to carry LRT?

Maybe not LRT, but the current people mover is designed to be able to be converted to self-contained propulsion (and the added weight that entails) in the future should it be needed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Maybe not LRT, but the current people mover is designed to be able to be converted to self-contained propulsion (and the added weight that entails) in the future should it be needed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I thought I remembered that being the case. Why, then, didn't they just do as suggested above and extend it to Malton to link up with GO? It wouldn't be quite as convenient as Amsterdam (where the train stops right under the airport), but you'd have the benefit of GO trains leaving more frequently than the airport express and costing a lot less. I'd be willing to take a short people-mover ride for that trade-off.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't need to be full fledged LRT. Most Airport people movers don't need to be full on LRT technologies.

I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't need to be full fledged LRT. Most Airport people movers don't need to be full on LRT technologies.

I was asking since there seems to be quite a bit of talk surrounding interlining the airport people mover with the Finch and/or Eglinton LRTs.

I still think it makes more sense to convert the people mover to self-propelled operation, extend the line to both Malton and Renforth, and impose the transfer. It would make it much easier for the airport to subsidize free travel on the line in this instance.

Back