Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Okay either way, the point is, this isn't anything to get excited about and isn't related to any construction starting at 171.

I have lots of personal family connections to 151 Front. Two of my brothers worked maintaining building systems there throughout the 80s. My dad worked on one of the top floors, for CNT. I myself worked there for a month or so sometime in the mid-80s, when I contracted with a demolition / metal reclamation firm to scrap a bunch of old comm gear on a couple of floors in the upper half of the building - unweildy, heavy, utterly antiquated stuff that was being replaced with then up-to-date telecom equipment.

Never a remarkable building to look at but quite the nerve centre all the same.

Not sure if these renderings have been seen yet on the thread but I came across them while doing research for a school project. On pages 34-36 of this Allied REIT Investor Presentation: http://www.alliedreit.com/documents/presentations/2012 Investor Presentation.pdf

It appears that this property has been redesigned and approved for 250,000 sq ft of office space as well as a link to the airport (rendering of this connection in there as well) - looks really cool.

I havent seen this rendering before either. Not bad.

IDMa5.png

Source

Good Catch, you will notice that this Metrolinx is within the Skywalk,

You can see the 50 storey office tower above the skywalk at station and simcoe, there is a scheme where the skywalk existing glazing is torn down and redone

What's happened to Allied? It's as though they started talking to the Riocan guys and immediately lost all design sense. Why would you not preserve the brick at 151 Front?

Good Catch, you will notice that this Metrolinx is within the Skywalk,

You can see the 50 storey office tower above the skywalk at station and simcoe, there is a scheme where the skywalk existing glazing is torn down and redone
What 50 storey office tower are you talking about?

What's happened to Allied? It's as though they started talking to the Riocan guys and immediately lost all design sense. Why would you not preserve the brick at 151 Front?

Exactly, and the whole proposal over at 489, 495 and 499 King West, which is even worse.

I thought they can't demolish, but only reclad, because the brick building there currently has tons of internet infrastructure operating through/within it.

In that presentation it is referred to as adaptive re-use, so presumably they are just recladding. I would have thought the QRC West style of maintaining the brick building with a glass tower on top would have been a far better result.

Back