Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

That looks cool, but there are so many parking lots downtown. Why demolish?

When you actually take a look, there aren't really that many suitable parking lots remaining downtown, and virtually all the ones that are remaining already have proposals in the works.

20130206-SkyWalk-Tower.jpg

So it looks like they will put this building behind the data center on Station St, so the data center itself is kept intact besides getting a quick reclad. To do this, the Skywalk will need to be demolished so they can put support pillars and stuff for the new building. I hadn't realised how much space could be created back there. I like how they put the stairs in, as well as pedestrianising the east side of Station St they preserve the loading docks for 151 and 123 Front (Citibank Place) underneath. Well played Allied.

Last edited:
You can see the 50 storey office tower above the skywalk at station and simcoe, there is a scheme where the skywalk existing glazing is torn down and redone
Haha, that is not apparent AT ALL from the photos we had in November. But looking back at this post, thanks for the subtle hint The Insider ;) Maybe we can expect a height increase request in the future too.

Until this morning, the future of the SkyWalk was up in the air. The City Planning Division was looking for City Council to approve both the demolition of the SkyWalk and a replacement structure in its place – a higher, more voluminous connector that would better accommodate the integration of the new UP Express (Pearson Air Rail Link) within the project. The proposal by &Co Architects recommends a completely new architectural expression –highly modern and transparent– for this significant piece of infrastructure and to facilitate the expanded programmatic requirements.
Computer modeling of full proposal.jpg

But, it was not to be. As of this morning the application to demolish the existing SkyWalk has been withdrawn.

Though built in 1989, Skywalk is designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (within the Union Station Heritage Conservation District). Noted buildings within the USHCD’s boundaries are considered to be “properties which contribute to the character of the Precinct and/or are historically, architecturally or culturally significant.”

So that’s that. No re-imagining of the SkyWalk. Metrolinx will just have to work with the existing structure, with its dated, semi-circular roof of tubular space frame construction. Missed opportunity, I think.

Attachments

• Computer modeling of full proposal.jpg
    Computer modeling of full proposal.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 669
Thanks Steph!

It does seem odd that the barrel-vaulted SkyWalk here is heritage designated… even if only because it's a part of a whole precinct that has been given special protection.

That said, it's not the worst PoMo ever, and a fun enough space when the sun is shining through the patterned glass ceiling. The SkyWalk's greatest failing is its lifelessness otherwise, and the addition of the UP Express station to the south side of it at the east end will no doubt be a major boon to it in that regard.

The eventual construction of 171 Front (the tower proposed in the renderings above) will no doubt make a world of difference too, along with (a little less directly) whatever comes of the rebuilding of the Convention Centre by Oxford.

How will it all look 10 years from now? Hmm…

I really do want this to go ahead. On the other hand, I think I'm going to scream if I see another proposal for a bluish/greyish rectinilear tower at southcore.
It's as if black glass, white (fritted) glass, or gold (royal bank plaza gold) are contraband. If a company wants to make a mark down there, the merest bit of colour will do it. I think of the new red ceramic-clad tower planned for Sherbourne and Bloor. Think of something like that down here. It'd be like the scarlet woman! Which wouldn't be such a bad thing.
When ICE announced they were building the office component, I was hoping it would turn out to be something like McMillan Blodel was in Vancouver. It would look great and stand out without violating Toronto's 'dun colour' situation. Or something wrapped in Cor-ten steel. It's got a great look.
I hope this building gets a reconsidering and gives viewers a bit of joy and relief from all the timid, conformist monotony all around. Please! Copper! Terra Cotta! Stone! Aluminum! Stainless Steel! Brick! Zinc! Titanium! Raw Concrete! Plastic! Something!

Last edited:
I would have to echo CN. One thing I do like about the CBD cluster is the variegated colour palette: black (TD), blue (Bay/Adelaide), green (Trump), gold (RBC), burgundy (Scotia), white (FCP), etc. I would like to see real red (a la Sherbourne), yellow, or any of the materials that CN suggested, really. (I love Corten but I wonder what a really tall tower would look like clad in it.) Southcore has not continued this trend of individuation, and it desperately needs some.

Last edited:

Back