Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

This must be the site then. Whodathunkit?

Really beats Oxford to the punch. Two large office towers move in on their territory while they are distracted in New York.

Ya snooze, ya lose.

5E9C105A-A073-4D7A-B22A-7EE58A3F6F47_1.png

Last edited:
Although the design is rather graceful, it's just another blue glass tower amongst all the others. Toronto seems to be going out of it's way to make sure you can't tell one building from the other.

Umm, Oxford has two large towers going up here. I think leasing those out is a slightly larger distraction than what the New York crew is doing.

Umm, Oxford has two large towers going up here. I think leasing those out is a slightly larger distraction than what the New York crew is doing.

Hudson Yards is the biggest project Oxford has ever undertaken and one of the biggest in New York's history.
I believe it is taking a very large percentage of Oxford's resources - and attention.

You have to admit, Oxford was first to the table with Oxford Place, then went dormant as several large office projects pulled out into the passing lane. With these two large towers added to the new office towers that are now well underway, it will be difficult to get the two giant Oxford Place towers any traction unless they move soon. There are only so many large tenants available.

This one is only going ahead once it gets a lead tenant. There's a lot of speculation that the Cadillac Fairview at 156 Front West tower has a lead tenant, but no-one knows who it is yet. There's no solid reason to claim that Oxford Place is further behind; they're in there with everyone scrapping for tenants. Who knows what order any of the proposed towers are going to go up in until we hear groundbreaking announcements.

^ can they attract tenants from companies from foreign countries like U.S, UAE, China, Japan or other countries or just Canada is on their list?

^ can they attract tenants from companies from foreign countries like U.S, UAE, China, Japan or other countries or just Canada is on their list?

Allied works with both Canadian and American real estate agents. While I would think they would be most interested in companies from outside of Canada (Allied just signed a lease with Google for 185,000 sf in Kitchener Waterloo), from a practical perspective, the likelihood that a company from outside of Canada, would be in a position to establish a net new office in Toronto of the size that would launch a project the size of Union Centre would have to be quite slim. My feeling of the prospects, starting from the most likely scenario, would be: 1. Existing downtown tenant relocating to new space within the core, 2. An organization with substantial space in the suburbs either relocating, or establishing a material footprint in downtown Toronto, or 3. Corporate relocation from another city (perhaps Montreal, if the PQ gets their majority in the April 7th election).

Other than that, it would have to be multiple tenants taking lessor amounts of space. An example would be Sapient (an American company, headquartered in Boston) which is taking 60,000 in Allied's QRC West building.

FYI - Of Allied's top ten clients by revenue (from their 2013 Annual Report), are:

2 - Equinix (American, head office in Redwood City, California)

4 - Cologix (American, head office in Denver, Colorado)

5 - Ubisoft (French)

8 - SAP Canada (American)

10 - Verizon (American)

So obviously - Allied is open to non-Canadian clients.

Last edited:
Hudson Yards is the biggest project Oxford has ever undertaken and one of the biggest in New York's history.
I believe it is taking a very large percentage of Oxford's resources - and attention.

You have to admit, Oxford was first to the table with Oxford Place, then went dormant as several large office projects pulled out into the passing lane. With these two large towers added to the new office towers that are now well underway, it will be difficult to get the two giant Oxford Place towers any traction unless they move soon. There are only so many large tenants available.

What happens in New York market stays in the New York market. Now you have to admit that Oxford is winning the race with about 2 million square feet under construction with RBC Waterpark and Ernst & Young. I do believe CF was first even if you have convince yourself they were sincere in demolishing 3 highrises and a convention centre for supertalls

Last edited:
FYI - Of Allied's top ten clients by revenue (from their 2013 Annual Report), are:

2 - Equinix (American, head office in Redwood City, California)

4 - Cologix (American, head office in Denver, Colorado)

5 - Ubisoft (French)

8 - SAP Canada (American)

10 - Verizon (American)

So obviously - Allied is open to non-Canadian clients.

Who knows, maybe had Verizon ended up entering Canada as was highly speculated, they may have found themselves a new home along Front. I want my mobile telecom competition, and i want it now! Not for the prices, but for the new concrete :p

Just got confirmation from Allied that this is proposed at 238.5 metres.

Wow. That's pretty impressive - converting that to feet (sorry, old school here) it's about 782.5, just 1.5 feet shorter than Commerce Court West.

Back