News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto ugliest highrise building

The Senator David Croll Apartment on Bloor West @ St. George. It actually makes the Holiday Inn across the street look welcoming.

The Senator David Croll Apartment on Bloor West @ St. George. It actually makes the Holiday Inn across the street look welcoming.

There used to be a trophy-engraving store at the base of that building (which was replaced by a computer repair store a few years back) that had a neon sign in the window reading "Tropies" (sic). My undergrad cronies and I always found it hilarious that something as relatively expensive and elaborate as a neon sign could have such a glaring typographical error on it (and surely it would undermine their reputation for engraving said "tropies")

There used to be a trophy-engraving store at the base of that building (which was replaced by a computer repair store a few years back) that had a neon sign in the window reading "Tropies" (sic). My undergrad cronies and I always found it hilarious that something as relatively expensive and elaborate as a neon sign could have such a glaring typographical error on it (and surely it would undermine their reputation for engraving said "tropies")

Maybe the neon sign used to say "Copies" and they cheaped out when converting the store/sign.

I know i will get roasted for this,but this UofT library building is also Yukee

PICT06921.jpg

I like viewing the Sheraton from the side, Tall and slender, but the front is just awful with all those white curtains at the windows and the back is even worse.

I personally love buildings like this, that are SUPPOSED to be brutal and powerful and overpowering and in a sense ugly--- and succeed.

Toronto wouldn't be Toronto without Sheraton or Manulife or Sutton Place etc. etc.... those buildings are a big piece of Toronto's built history and city life. So many visitors and tourists have passed through those big hotels, etc. etc...

They are powerful and ugly, but I love them for it :)

I personally love buildings like this, that are SUPPOSED to be brutal and powerful and overpowering and in a sense ugly--- and succeed.

i get the sense that developers simply used the brutalist fashion to build on the cheap. that's the statement they make.
slap it up. slab it up.

i get the sense that developers simply used the brutalist fashion to build on the cheap. that's the statement they make.
slap it up. slab it up.

I don't get that sense, because there's so much attention to the details in that concrete facade. The windowless sides have the cement squares with slight variations in tone. The texture changes at the top and at the base with distinct vertical lines in the concrete. There is a section of windows which is wider at the top and bottom, framing the grid (on the side which faces NPS). The blinds may look messy, but they also create random patterns. There's a connection with the NPS walkway, embracing City Hall's concrete architecture.

The end result is stark but interesting because of various creative details. It fits in well too, which can't be said about Robarts, though that building may be more engaging in its non-rectangular form.

Last edited:
slap it up. slab it up.

Doubt it--after all, construction economics were among the things that nipped Brutalism in the bud. High-rise hives of cast-in-place concrete actually came to be seen as overbuilt and overwrought: the architectural answer to the 70s-style Detroit land yachts that were nipped in the bud by the energy crisis...

Probably not much use without a photo but, I'd say the yellow pre-cast data centre on St Patrick is without a doubt the ugliest building in downtown Toronto. Not a fan of yellow and find not pleasure in ribbed concrete

I'm pretty sure these bad boys have been lambasted on here before. I would also add than anything in the block east of University, west of One City Hall, north of City Hall and south of Dundas is worth demolishing. Come to think of it, most of downtown outside the financial district and not yet in the nicer low rise parts is unremarkable. This horrible quadrant of mediocrity where the few good examples are soo thouroughly overwhelmed by the sheer banality of the rest. As to Robarts, the building itself is quite impressive and that alone disqualifies it from any "worst highrise" distinction. At the same time though, it was like the architect never even visited the area. It so painfully clashes with everything around it you have to wonder what they were thinking.

*phew* I was worried this was going to turn into another brutalist argument.

I think the Peacock library is horrible though. I love brutalism, but can't stand the design. However, it is definitely nowhere near the top of my list for ugly buildings. FCP... now that thing is ugly!

Whoaccio, those two just behind the police station on Dundas are truly revolting, vile concoctions and I agree wholeheartedly that they are an eyesore. Their colours are proof in the pudding that you can put lipstick on a pig. In fact, you can put lipstick on two pigs!

127StPatrick.jpg

248SimcoeSt.jpg

I've never minded those buildings. I think their bases are unfortunate, but I like the sort of Barbie PoMo-Chateau optimism :)

Back