1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 820     0 

Toronto ugliest highrise building

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Toronto Star building Has to be at the top of the list.

176265771zwebmR_ph1.jpg

^ We have a winner. Thread closed.

That thing ruins any photograph it manages to sneak in to. G+C should be birched for it.

The Toronto Star building Has to be at the top of the list.

How is that ugly, or the ugliest? The facade is a basic grid and glass. The cladding is neutral concrete. It's unremarkable at worst.

It doesn't appear to be in an ugly state of disrepair either. If this is the ugliest, then we have nothing to worry about. I'd put it very low on the list.

I don't understand why some people on these forums hate ROCP.

At least they aren't a flat out box and tried something different. Up close maybe they aren't the most attractive thing, but they aren't unattractive.

Also, from a distance I think they look good, especially in skyline photos.

I agree with Grey. I hate the new College Park towers. They look so out of place. It's too bad there's nothing we can do about them, being new and all.

I don't understand why some people on these forums hate ROCP.

At least they aren't a flat out box and tried something different. Up close maybe they aren't the most attractive thing, but they aren't unattractive.

Also, from a distance I think they look good, especially in skyline photos.

We then enlighten us musters, why should we like these terrible, terrible buildings? Clumsy, akward massing? Cheapo materials? Effete historicism? Why?

The problem with the Toronto Star building is that's out in the open. If it was surrounded by other buildings it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb. Street level sucks though.

I'm going to hijack this thread and make it for low-rise buildings. We've had the disastrous highrise discussion dozens of times, why let low-rises off the hook. Here are three of the most loathesome buildings in the city, in my opinion:

1302 King Street West - Truly Brutal, and calling attention to itself with that brick pattern is highly unfortunate.

1302KingStW.jpg

1550 Queen Street West - Could a building be more without interest than this scabrous affair? This really stands in for any number of like structures, deadening to the street and hideous to behold.

1550QueenStE.jpg

751 Woodbine Avenue - Here's one with pretensions, and some small attempt at decoration with the cheapest of all possible materials on its upper floors. Walking past this you seem mostly a dank, covered parking lot. Please let it collapse.

751WoodbineAve.jpg

I actually find the zany brickwork on 1302 King West rather interesting - I keep scrunching my eyes together to make some sort of Rorschach test thing happen. It's also got a TV interference pattern thing going for it. And it invites the viewer to guess at what points the bricklayer(s) downed trowels for the day and went home to their unfortunate families. There's a band near the bottom that suggests that at one point someone tried to introduce a different aesthetic but was overruled. Or maybe, like the ROM, they were victims of different die lots.

The rust at the top, and the wall at the front, both let it down.

The only problem I have the ROCP is the curved roof element. Otherwise I don't find it particularly offensive. In fact, at some angles I think it looks good.

What I hate is all those green glass condos on the waterfront: 18 Yonge, the one accross from it, Malibu, Neptune, and even Success Tower. They all look so identically cheap.

Sheraton, Manulife, Hilton, Toronto Star (plus the buildings to the west), Jorgenson Hall, those 2 concrete residences south of the Rogers Centre, Infinity.

RoCP is not good, but it certainly isn't as bad as any of the above.

I could see why people wouldn't like the Sheraton or Manulife, but I love their slender profiles.

I like viewing the Sheraton from the side, Tall and slender, but the front is just awful with all those white curtains at the windows and the back is even worse.

Back