Toronto U of T: Robarts Library Renovations & Robarts Common | ?m | ?s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

The tint was never expressed in the renderings. However, a lower common denominator of processing glass leaves that green tint...thus, it strongly suggests the developer was cutting corners with this project. And this is why it's problematic. Especially with a signature extension such as this one.
The developer here being the University of Toronto...

Today:
F66B2A4C-FDA1-41EB-8C3A-7B667C4C2E9B.jpeg

16B7BFB4-333A-4910-9A79-5076C45AE80E.jpeg
407D2854-67C9-43BD-9F6D-483AE4C6103D.jpeg
7E56573D-C751-4603-805C-AA678C2FC5DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 6754A0C2-A6EB-4F2F-86C0-550E0B42FFE4.jpeg
    6754A0C2-A6EB-4F2F-86C0-550E0B42FFE4.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 131
I still can't get my head around using capless SSGs on 90% of the project, then slapping silver caps all over the *entrance*.

Mystifying...
It's Spring you know. And the birds are singing, "Cheap, cheap, cheap...cheap!" >.<

I still can't get my head around using capless SSGs on 90% of the project, then slapping silver caps all over the *entrance*.

Mystifying...

Exactly -- hard to see past that inexplicably poor detailing. I wonder what their provenance was, too; budget isn't typically a problem with U of T, and for all of DSAI's recent struggles on multi-family residential, they usually bring a better eye to institutional. Tough to know where the breakdown occurred.

Focusing on the past 25 years or so, I'd say U of T has had a fair amount of quality new architectural contributions to their downtown campus. The ones that stand out for me are: the Terrence Donnelly Centre, Woodsworth College residences, Bahen Centre, and Max Gluskin House.

On the enigmatic side, but I actually like the Graduate House too at Spadina & Harbord. Personally find it to be one of the more interesting miscellaneous/odd ball buildings in the city.

Trending towards the hit or miss territory for various reasons but I'd say the following have more positive than negative aspects: Rotman expansion, Leslie Dan pharmacy building, Goldring Centre, Jackman Law building, New College III, Daniels faculty of architecture new addition, Myhal Centre.

If expanded to 50 years, I think there's a lot of understated gems especially various buildings along Huron Street between Harbord and Ursula Franklin Street.

Last edited:

Back