Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

They have tomehomes too at 1 St. Thomas! And that is a much more expensive condo. But then again, it's away from Bay St. and so it's more sheltered. I think the townhomes along St. Mary's is perfectly fine and also the ones on the south side facing the church with some greenery. That's a nice view too.

hey Anthony,

I really appreciated all your information. Any reason why in your report you didn't mention the L Tower? I thought it was in the same range as the other condos you looked at.

Hi Kondoz, thanks for the appreciation. I didn't compare it to L-tower because this report was for an investor looking at these 2 condos only and I'm just sharing the report to you guys. And also the reason is because L-tower is mostly sold already so this was based on pre-phase2 sales.

Actually U condos sold out phase 1 faster than ICE selling phase 1 and looks like the same thing will happen for phase 2.
Ice condos is more expensive that U condos for high units because the floor premium for ICE is $1000 per floor and U condos is $250 per floor. It will cost $30,000 to go 30 floors higher in ICE and $7500 to go up the same floor numbers in U. That really affects the price per square foot for ICE. People think ICE is cheaper, but really after you factor in the floor premium, it becomes as expensive if not more than U condos.

ICE condo maintenance is $0.55/sf and U is $0.45/sf
ICE states nameless stainless steel appliances which could be anything from Fridgidaire to Whirlpool. U states Miele (German) and Fulgor (Italian) appliances. U interior features are better than ICE.

Area wise, Bay and Bloor is better than Bremner and York (my opinion of course). Better neighbourhood, less congestion.

Having said all that, ICE is still a very desirable condo and has it's selling points but I just think U condos is slightly better in almost all departments except design. I like the ICE design a lot more. It's refreshing and different.

Last edited:
There were city workers along Bay using spraypaint to make some markings today. Not sure if it's related the the project or not but it was just outside the sales centre where they were when I walked past.

Hey... Just discovered this thread!

Sorry if this has been answered before (which it probably has), but when can we expect construction (or groundbreaking) to occur?

Spring/Summer of next year?

lol steveve, this is UT afterall, they have a trend about everything!
Well, at least a trend on every building under construction in this city :p

heres the info u were look'in fo

Things are moving forward ~ :)

CONDOMINUM BUILDING, TOWNHOUSES
Proj: 9106742-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
U Condominums, Phase One, Bay St, St Mary's St, St Joseph's St, M5V
$44,000,000 est

Start: March, 2010

Complete: January, 2012

Note: Working drawings began mid-August, 2009. The mechanical system is under review and will be determined Winter, 2009. Invited Sub trade tender and construction are expected early Spring, 2010. Further update early Spring, 2010.
The mechanical system has not been finalized for this project.

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, curtainwall exterior, masonry exterior, proposed construction of a 45 storey condominium building with 390 units and eight three storey townhouses in two buildings. The townhouses will be built along the Northern edge of the site, facing out onto Bay and St Mary's streets. The building amenities will include a three storey glass lobby; party room; yoga studio; and 24-hour concierge service. Four levels of underground parking will connect this project with the Phase Two building followed under report number 9086768.

Scope: 400,000 square feet; 45 storeys; 4 storeys below grade; 3 structures; 401 units; 2 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs

This report Mon Aug 24, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=42cb6828f776966a7873dbaa2e2b8b4f6d40e721&projectid=9106742&region=ontario

CONDO BUILDINGS, TOWNHOUSES
Proj: 9086768-5
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/WORKING DRAWINGS
U Condominiums, Phase Two, St Joseph and St Mary streets, Bay St, M5S
$49,000,000 est

Start: March, 2011

Complete: January, 2013

Note: Preliminary Working drawings are underway with those for Phase One. Sales and Marketing are ongoing. Invited Sub trade tender schedules for this phase will be set late 2011/2012 based on occupancy. Further update Spring, 2010.
A mechanical system has not been finalized for this project.

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, curtainwall exterior, masonry exterior, proposed construction of a 55 storey condominium building with 470 units adjacent to the St Michael's College Campus of the University of Toronto. Building amenities will include a three storey glass lobby in each building; party room; yoga studio and 24-hour concierge service and a landscaped European-style piazza; and a public park. Also included will be 3 three-storey buildings located north of St Basil's facing out onto Bay and St Mary's Streets. Eight townhouse units in one structure will be built with this phase. This phase will include construction of four storeys of underground parking, to be shared with Phase One, report number 9106742.

Scope: 450,000 square feet; 55 storeys; 4 storeys below grade; 2 structures; 478 units; 6 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

First report Wed Jul 23, 2008. Last report Wed Apr 01, 2009.
This report Mon Aug 24, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=520c4c881e0f0bf24b76e65245a98ec88b9f6fbf&projectid=9086768&region=ontario

After reading the article below does anyone else get the impression they're having trouble moving units. When this project was first announced it seemed like it was a sure sell out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAY AND ST. MARY'S
Furnished suites provide 'turnkey' living near U of T
December 5, 2009 Alex Newman
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

U condos by the Pemberton Group, set between the University of Toronto's leafy campus and the high energy of Bay St, is now making itself more attractive.

In a bid to attract first-time buyers, four smaller Urban Design suites have been introduced with a starting price of $227,000.

Suites range from a 325-square-foot studio to a 590-square-foot one bedroom for $410,900. The roughly 100 Urban Design suites boast large windows facing south, decent-sized balconies, and a view overlooking almost an acre of parkland.

About 80 of these suites come furnished, offering a "turnkey" home with space-saving furniture and accessories. The open-concept 325-square-foot Design I has a generous balcony and the 512-square-foot, one-bedroom Design II offers two large balconies.

All 429 units, from the compact Urban Designs to the one, two and two-plus-den and penthouse suites, have standard features such as custom cabinets, Corian counters and Miele and Blomberg appliances. Flooring is five-inch wide engineered hardwood, and ceilings are nine feet up to the 33rd floor, and 10 feet on floors 34 to 44.

Interiors and amenities are by interior designer Andrea Kantelberg, noted for her sustainable approach. The environmentally friendly lobby has a 24-hour concierge. On the 45th floor, the rooftop offers panoramic views of the city and the university campus. The 4,500-square-foot amenities space includes a party room with wine storage, balcony and a billiards table, exercise room, yoga studio, steam rooms and library/lounge.

The site, designed by architect Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance, is divided into two towers with a perimeter of 19 luxury townhouses. The first tower, on the west – which includes the Urban Design suites – will have 45 storeys, and the next phase will have a tower of 55 storeys. The site's green features include low-E argon filled windows, water-efficient shower heads, Energy Star appliances, sensor-activated lighting, paints with low VOC (volatile organic compound) emission, locally produced Corian for counters, CO sensors in the underground parking garage, three AutoShare parking spaces and a one-year free membership to each suite owner

The west tower has an expected occupancy of 2012. No date has been set for the launch of the 55-storey east tower, which will have just over 500 units. The 30 three-storey luxury townhouses that will rim the two towers are in planning.

In addition to the Urban Design suites, the rest of the units range from 542 to 1,477 square feet, and priced from $338,900 to just over $1 million. Eleven different floor plans are available; one underground parking spot costs $44,100 and lockers are $5,985 each. Maintenance fees run 45 cents a square foot. The sales office at 50 St. Joseph St. (off Bay, south of Bloor) is open Mon. to Thurs., 12-7 p.m., Sat./Sun., 12-6 p.m.; see www.ucondos.ca for a complete list of features or call 416-546-6605.

Toronto Star

The west tower has an expected occupancy of 2012

They are definitely on crack.:confused::rolleyes:

I'll have my camera ready for this,

"The 30 three-storey luxury townhouses that will rim the two towers are in planning."

Seriously though this sounds like a project in trouble (probably because of the price) if they're now offering turnkey condos and free lockers.

I'll have my camera ready for this,

"The 30 three-storey luxury townhouses that will rim the two towers are in planning."

Seriously though this sounds like a project in trouble (probably because of the price) if they're now offering turnkey condos and free lockers.

IIRC the turn-key condos (aka urban designs) were already offerred this time last year.

i really don't get the prices some projects are asking (and seem to somewhat be getting) ... $600+ PSF for U, $700 PSF for Ice, etc ...:confused:

The 325 sqft units make me wonder if this condo will just turn into an unofficial res for U of T. I could see wealthy parents buying units for their kids to use for four years, and then planning to rent them out after that.

The so-called Urban Designs units were added to the lineup in spring 2009. Some but not all of them are smaller and more moderately priced. The one BR + den model is 680 sq. ft., larger than several of the original models.

Completion of the first (west) tower is still being projected as June 2012. If they get started soon, this should be do-able.

This project is doing fine - West Tower is approximately 80% sold. Although I agree with some previous posts that affordability in the Toronto condo market is of concern (U is approaching $650psf).

Back