Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

Another wonderfully impractical, imaginative, and ubercool idea. The smokestack should radiate some heat from within, so that's how to keep the aquarium tropical too. A glass elevator could plunge the length of the world's tallest aquarium and impress visitors with how massively tall these kelp strands get, and eventually with the monsters that dwell at the bottom.

I know people go on about how destructive ivy is, but I have to agree - 300 feet of ivy here (or however tall that stack is) - would be ubercool. I wonder what the world's tallest ivy is? I can't imagine too many plants' circulatory system could handle that height. Maybe add another planter at every crossbrace, and start new vines from there...

The ivy on the Sylvia Hotel in Vancouver is a wonder to behold. It must be about 8-stories tall. At the risk of sounding heretical, I would even go for fake ivy for that all-year round green look, so long as it gets a good dusting on a regular basis.

Exactly - I won't live there. Not because of the hospitals though, but because of the ugly smokestack. I've been pretty clear about what I don't like about the view there, no need to read things that aren't intended into what I wrote.

And sure, if you worked at one of the hospitals, of course it would be very handy to live nearby. I can tell you, however, that living within a close proximity to work would have zero effect on whether those residents like the look of the smokestack or not. A LuCliff apartment may be an ideal location for some, but that doesn't necessarily translate into its residents being a fan of the stack or its big boxy concrete base.

To me the thing is a necessary evil that would be better if it were surrounded by a more attractive building were that feasible. And what a good spot to add more density...

Well, I'm confused. Elsewhere, you say

You guys know I tend toward clean-lined modern, and I agree that for a smokestack, it fits the bill, it's a good looking one...

yet you call it "ugly".

What is it, then? Good-looking, or ugly?

And re LuCliff residents: especially given that they chose to *live* in an "unattractive" concrete hulk, is it proper to read that much active hostility to the smokestack's presence? I think there's more indifference, acceptance, and perhaps even appreciation of its architectural form than you give credit for. And as for those who *actively* think it's an eyesore that merits camoflauge and/or replacement, they'd be like the sorts who think the NPS walkways are eyesores that beg removal. They're yokels.

Get this book, and change your mind. Fast.

hmm, doesnt take long to guess that this project isnt doing much right now... lotsa good laughs above! ivy and smokestacks and concrete bunkers, Canadian humour at is finest, nobody does sarcasm like us!

What is it, then? Good-looking, or ugly?

And re LuCliff residents: especially given that they chose to *live* in an "unattractive" concrete hulk, is it proper to read that much active hostility to the smokestack's presence? I think there's more indifference, acceptance, and perhaps even appreciation of its architectural form than you give credit for. And as for those who *actively* think it's an eyesore that merits camoflauge and/or replacement, they'd be like the sorts who think the NPS walkways are eyesores that beg removal. They're yokels.

Get this book, and change your mind. Fast.

For a smokestack, it's great that it's got a little design to it... yet it's still a smokestack. I wouldn't want to stare at a smokestack from that close - I just think that smokestacks are pretty much intrinsically ugly.

The ivy speculation is pure whimsy - concrete often looks better covered in ivy's living green patina, but we know it couldn't grow here - it's just a little imagination at work.

And Adma, where do you get off trying to tie me into those who don't like the walkways at NPS? There are no grounds for the link you are trying to manufacture. I love the walkways at NPS and would never want them done away with. I don't understand why my dislike of this smokestack has triggered such a strong reaction from you. Yokel?

Pardon the delayed reaction, but those first six words are the best thing I've seen all day. If I remember correctly, getting nailed to the tee is the traditional punishment for golfers who malaprop on the green.

Not sure, since I don't golf all that much either ;)

But always happy to brighten someone's day. Looking back, the first three words of my post could have been handled better too.

For a smokestack, it's great that it's got a little design to it... yet it's still a smokestack. I wouldn't want to stare at a smokestack from that close - I just think that smokestacks are pretty much intrinsically ugly.
Oh 42, do you not like the multi-coloured striped smokestack at Lord Lansdowne Public School?

I like smokestacks but that might be due to my Hamilton upbringing and indoctrination - belching smoke good

Oh 42, do you not like the multi-coloured striped smokestack at Lord Lansdowne Public School?

Not familiar with it Jabs - I'll look for it when I'm next in the area.

And Adma, where do you get off trying to tie me into those who don't like the walkways at NPS? There are no grounds for the link you are trying to manufacture. I love the walkways at NPS and would never want them done away with. I don't understand why my dislike of this smokestack has triggered such a strong reaction from you. Yokel?

Okay, so maybe generically with smokestacks to you, you can't polish a turd. But it certainly bespeaks ill-informed design ignorance on your part if you can't see that it's, er, "architecturally designed", and might even be a more reasonable candidate for listing/designation than for demolition/concealment. Seriously.

That said, I *could* condone a rebuilding of its base, maybe in a glassy "Dal Grauer Substation" mode, i.e. celebrating, rather than effacing, its power-stationness. But leave ye stacque alone...

And if you can't live next to it, tuff. Some people (and I'm not talking about you) wouldn't live in LuCliff unless it got a Chedingtonista recladding, either. To each their own...

Any updates on this project?

The Developer is currently in a market research exercise - basically in the pre-marketing stage determining suite sizes, construction costs, what the initial costs of the units will be, target demographics etc. Public launch of sales is still a few months away.

Back