Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

Does anyone know when can we expect this to go to sales....
Hopefully prices are not going to be outrageos.....but location is great.

I guess I'm the only one left who is against this project. Sure, the parking argument is lame, but there goes the last greenspace on Bay and 184 m is gargantuan. I admired the (literally) campus-like feel of St. Michael's college which are congregated around a central spire. There goes that.

Hipster - the greenspace won't be gone: the parking lot will be gone. In fact the greenspace is about to become public, and larger (less of it paved). They'll probably even throw a few bucks into landscaping before handing it over to the City.

Other than that, yeah, the campus-like feel of St. Michael's is definitely about to change.

There has got to be some other parking within a block or so of this church on a Sunday as well, right? There is something fundamentally funny, though, about people who desperately want to live in paradise fighting for a parking lot.

The parking issue was handled in the Star article:

Church wants say on condo project
TONY BOCK/TORONTO STAR
March 03, 2008
Mike Funston
Staff Reporter

<snip>Under the development plan, the college is offering to make about 80 parking spaces available to the church at Alumni Hall on the south side of St. Joseph, for Sunday services.

Also, land will be dedicated that will create a park about three times the size of existing open space.

Some of this parkland will be beside the church, Rae said.

Hipster - the greenspace won't be gone: the parking lot will be gone. In fact the greenspace is about to become public, and larger (less of it paved). They'll probably even throw a few bucks into landscaping before handing it over to the City.

Other than that, yeah, the campus-like feel of St. Michael's is definitely about to change.

Okay, with the park addressed the condo isn't so menacing after all. This will sound very NIMBY of me, but ideally I'd want 100% greenspace. Unfortunately, grass doesn't pay the bills. I'm more ambivalent about the height; whether the tower is 60 storeys or 10 storeys the campus feel is pretty much toast either way.

Are there going to be any changes to the latest rending?
When can we expect this to go into sales?

Are there going to be any changes to the latest rending?
When can we expect this to go into sales?

The builder is currently planning their marketing approach and unit mix as well as pricing... expect the see something public in the next couple of months.

^Bachelors from $69,999; One bedrooms from $89,999; One+(shoebox)den from $109,999; Two bedrooms from $139,999???

I can understand why St Basil's patrons would be upset about losing their parking lot: many are elderly (well 65+) folks and suburbanites used to the convenience of car culture.

Directly to the North of this project (parking lot) are those horrible old rentals at 55/57 Charles. Saw a Sign today saying that they want to go Condo. which makes sense, really... seeing as they are surrounded by multi-million dollar condos, but it makes me hopeful that they'll be renovated.. on the outside? perhaps we'll get something nicer?

2315443416_307268c92c_b.jpg

Hands off - those towers are two of my favorites in Toronto. A conversion would be nice and I have to say that I do enjoy the removal of the canopy (I know, I know but I just do) but lets keep any exterior changes to a minimum please?

Ditto on that: Bay/Charles is a c1980 class act. Why muck up its exterior under some overzealous presumption that it's "dated"?

I couldn't care less about the slab, but the point tower is good.

When one talks of recladding something this size though, shudders run up my spine. Has a good job been done on any residential project this size in the city? It's usually only aluminum siding or stucco that gets applied over things like this, and neither would be welcome. Luckily it's all just speculation...

Back