News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.2K     9 

Toronto Transit Trivia

There's no war, you just wouldn't actually identify the type of tunnel, and that doesn't mean single vs. twin, so there is a need to correct you. The tunnel type I wanted from you was bored (although the tunnels here are so old that they didn't even use a TBM).

Now what's the other station this happens? :)

Name 3 streets that are very short and insignificant to the grid that got a subway station named after them, and have no major landmark for which justify such a station taking its name. Name another 3 streets for which the street is short but do have landmarks to justify such a station taking its name.

That question is very open to interpretation. And it brings up the whole "Are Summerhill and St. Patrick named after nearby streets or are they named after the neighbourhoods in which they are located?" question.

And one might even argue that a street like St George is "insignificant" relative to the traffic at its namesake stop...

Well, if you gotta include Main or Donlands, might as well include Glencairn or Christie or Davisville or heck knows what...

St.Patrick, Downsview, St.George, St.Andrew are all area references, actually former wards except for Downsview (St.George is also a street as well as former ward). I beleive Summerhill refers to area, too, like Rosedale.

Some people are throwing out larger small streets... the key term was "very short."

Chester and Bessarion are absolutely correct. Castle Frank belongs in list 1. Are there landmarks named St.Patrick or Summerhill?

Old Mill and High Park are correct for list 2. One left.

St. Gerorge's ward was south of King Street down to the lake, no where near St. Gerorge Station (which would have been on the north edge of St. Patrick's ward).

St. Patrick's is a major Catholic Church, located near St. Patrick station. That could be counted as a landmark. St. Andrew's is another major church located near the station of the same name.

I put St Patricks because of the church

Castle Frank because of http://www.thestar.com/article/189220

I0006352_simcoe_castle%20frank.jpg.preview.jpg

Summerhill's landmark was the train station... a bit of a stretch.

List 2 - Yorkdale ? (Yorkdale Road)

The railway station by Summerhill station (which is actually located on Shaftsbury) was never called that. It was opened as CP North Toronto Station and it is still technically that name.

St. Gerorge's ward was south of King Street down to the lake, no where near St. Gerorge Station (which would have been on the north edge of St. Patrick's ward).

St. Patrick's is a major Catholic Church, located near St. Patrick station. That could be counted as a landmark. St. Andrew's is another major church located near the station of the same name.

Aren't the symbols located in the stairways from the surface into St.Andrew, and I believe the same applies to St.Patrick, related to their former wards?

I had mistaken the dragon at St.George as similar. Funny, I'd heard St.George was named after an old ward from TTC staff :rolleyes:

When did UofT adopt the name St.George for its downtown campus?

Back