News   Jun 26, 2024
 236     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 336     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

Toronto Transit Trivia

You got it! IIRC North York Centre was originally supposed to be called Empress.

I have a friend who constantly rues the lack of a Glencairn station on the Yonge line since he works right in between Eglinton and Lawrence.

Interesting! If Yonge-Eg intensification keeps on working out (and the NSE gets retrofitted right) then who knows, one day maybe they will see the need to revive Glencairn. Not so sure about Glen Echo, though...

I've got a question that I actually don't know the answer to:

Why is the 506 route named Carlton when it's only on Carlton Street for around 1 km?

I've got a question that I actually don't know the answer to:

Why is the 506 route named Carlton when it's only on Carlton Street for around 1 km?

Because the College car was a very different route. Royce Loop (Lansdowne & Royce) to Lipton Loop (Pape & Danforth) via Lansdowne, College, McCaul, Dundas, Broadview, Gerrard, Carlaw & Pape.

p.s, look how lighted those tunnels were in the pic. i lament that it's so hard to see inside the tunnels when you ride the subway. i like looking at stuff.

that's probably due to the long exposure and not the actual intensity of the lights.

that's probably due to the long exposure and not the actual intensity of the lights.

i thought it could have been because of construction crews working.

Because the College car was a very different route. Royce Loop (Lansdowne & Royce) to Lipton Loop (Pape & Danforth) via Lansdowne, College, McCaul, Dundas, Broadview, Gerrard, Carlaw & Pape.

The old Harbord Car was on Harbord for a short distance as well. It had a very funny route. Until 1947, the route was Royce Loop to Lipton Loop via Lansdowne, Lappin, Dufferin, Hallam, Ossington, Harbord, Spadina, Dundas, Broadview, Gerrard, Carlaw, Riverdale, Pape. The portion from Dundas/Bay area east was a replacement of the College Car which was abandoned, replaced by Harbord and a through Lansdowne Car in the 1930s.

After 1947, the route was simplified and replaced part of the Dovercourt Car from Townsley Loop via Old Weston Road, Davenport, Dovercourt, Bloor, and onto Ossington to Harbord and eastbound. (The route is doable today, but requires 6 transfers via the 127, 161, 94, 510, 505, 506 and 72) The Dundas Car only went as far east as City Hall until the 1960s.

Last edited:
You got it! IIRC North York Centre was originally supposed to be called Empress.

I have a friend who constantly rues the lack of a Glencairn station on the Yonge line since he works right in between Eglinton and Lawrence.

I got it all? Amazing, I cant even remember where I heard it, and I'm only 23 as well, so it was way before my time that it was planned.

Alright here's another. What two stations have unused roughed-in streetcar/LRT platforms?

This isn't really trivia so much as a simple question. Does Eglinton West still have any kind of roughed in interchange from the 90s? I know construction was started, and then stopped, but what happened?

What's the name of the abandoned (not relocated) GO Transit station that existed on a line that service was not withdrawn from?

I know ShonTron and jamesbow know this one. Anyone else?

This isn't really trivia so much as a simple question. Does Eglinton West still have any kind of roughed in interchange from the 90s? I know construction was started, and then stopped, but what happened?

They dug a hole the filled it in.

Sure it's trivia. Unimportant (trivial) facts. What's your definition of trivia?

Back