Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I really hope Ford doesn't pick on this as a symbolic gesture to get rid of waste. Improving City Hall's doorstep would be seen (in his dream world) as City Hall spending tax payer money on itself.

I really hope Ford doesn't pick on this as a symbolic gesture to get rid of waste. Improving City Hall's doorstep would be seen (in his dream world) as City Hall spending tax payer money on itself.

I'm deeply afraid of this. I've followed this project since the competition and I've always been a fan - but it seems to be just the kind of urbane city-building that our new Crank-in-Chief sees as frilly liberal nonsense. Think about how many parking spaces you could make with that kind of money!

Will we even need a City Hall when Ford takes over? I mean, there won't actually be any city government, right?

I heard Ford is going to turn the whole square into a surface parking lot.

...but seriously,
20 bucks says he tries to get the bike storage/shower area cut. It's already been approved through council though. I think Miller pushed a lot of these things through early, worried that Ford would be elected. It'll be fun/horrible listening to all the reason HE thinks nobody will use it (because, you know, NO ONE bikes to work in Toronto (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=146557252037744)).

Looks like certain things are far enough ahead that they can't be stopped. Ford's conciliatory toned first press conference relieves a little pressure too.

Fall Colours

One tree is still standing ...

5123558583_3f4d7f15dc_o.jpg

The arches have a more pressing problem: those ant-lawsuit fences at their base. Seriously? If people don't know that they shouldn't be climbing the arches and get hurt, they deserve their Darwinian fate. It's not like the fences prevent anything. If somebody really wants to climb the arches, they can get around the fence. A simple sign "Do Not Climb" should be sufficient. Alternatively, cladding the first 4 or 5 feet of the arches in stainless steel would make it too slippery to get any further.

Back