Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I noticed last week that the rink/water feature is all torn up, it looks like the concrete is being jack-hammered out. I hope that this can be a quick job which can be completed in time for the skating season.

Yes, I saw this yesterday. It's all fenced off. It's like a maze to get into city hall right now from Queen Street haha.

The quicker they get to the meat of the project, the better. It looks like some of this is irreversible and they just need to finish the project. This far into it, I'm sure materials are already purchased and contracts are tendered. At the very least, we're going to get a new ice rink services building, stepped stage and Peace Garden. Maybe the disappearing fountain if we're lucky.

The Queen St. forecourt needs a lot of work and I hope that it reaches at least that far. At risk are the info centre/bike rental building and decking the walkways. The restaurant will most likely not happen.

I hope this project wont be in any jeoparty pending election results.
I guess now that it has been started, this has to be brought to the finish line.

^ If Ford wins, you bet it's in danger. It's done in different phases through the end of 2012. Parts of it need to be completed now that construction on them has begun but others that have yet to begin, are in danger of not being done. The analysis I provided above shows you what's likely safe and what's probably going to get cut if Ford becomes Mayor.

Nice to see some work starting on NPS. If Rob Ford had his way he would have just left NPS (crumpling eye sore) the way it is.

^No, he'd have put a parking lot on the site. Then in about 10 years, sell it to developers. Imagine a streetwall of red brick and glass aA office/condo towers with high end retail? Much better than the cold windswept 1950s suburban-style plaza that is currently there.

The new downsized city council would move to OCH, staff would move to suburban offices.

The office/condo complex? Rob Ford Place. :D

Last edited:
Nice to see some work starting on NPS. If Rob Ford had his way he would have just left NPS (crumpling eye sore) the way it is.

No, not necessarily. On the contrary, he might have "responded to the people" by tearing down the walkways and replacing them with...nothing. Maybe also remove those useless arches over the rink...

I could see some faux-Victorian lighting too, "to make the place look classier". Maybe EIFS and some cornices for the podium, though I might be taking it too far at this point :) .

I'd like to see lighting in NPS after midnight! It's creepy cutting through there in the darkness late at night.

Back