Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Can someone explain to me why a temporary stage is going up for New Year's Eve when the permanent stage is 99% done?

I was wondering if they could use the new stage for the New Year's celebration or if it was too small and facing the wrong way for maximum viewing for the most amount of people. Presumably they need a much larger stage for the musical acts plus all the rigging for the lighting, sound equipment and cameras. If I recall I think they also have a sizable runway in front of the stage too.

Just to add another perspective, my Muslim friends and I love Christmas. As kids we sang Christmas carols, put up lights, received gifts on Boxing Day (my parents figured "why not just wait for the sale?"), and we still do an annual secret santa (we sarcastically call it secret mullah) and have never considered it as a religious holiday. I have no problem with public funds being spent on Christmas decor because I think it's crossed that line and has now become an integral part of our *cultural* fabric. Interestingly, Christians similarly join in Ramadan/Eid celebrations in Islamic countries because it has also deviated into this consumerist phenomenon that taps into that sense of *occasion* that most of us don't mind giving in to. Until other religious holidays, including my own, get to that tipping point where everyone is already in on it, I don't think public funds are warranted and I think the argument completely bypasses concerns of religious equality.

Thank you for sharing that with me. I also think Christmas gets a pass because its crossed over to become a cultural holiday for people of all stripes. Religious equality? Religion is best left out of the public domain as government should never preach ideology in a country that truly respects liberty. If you notice, all decorations in public areas/buildings are free of angels, crucifix, and nativity scenes.

We decorate with trees, reindeer, lights, sleighs, etc. Religious symbols should be left to private residences and church.

Even the big churches downtown don't have a nativity scene, I checked it out last week. Then someone told me that they put them up a few days before Christmas.

If they put them up sooner there wouldn't be anything left Christmas Eve. Hardly a year goes by without hearing a story of at least one piece of a nativity scene disappearing somewhere.

I don't see the harm in putting something up for all the holidays. Put out a menorah, a tree, a nativity scene, a Yule wreath, Diwali lamps--anything. If nothing else, it would add some visual interest.

Photos taken 1 January 2013

IMG_1975_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1970_1-XL.jpg

I'm sure I see 4 or 5 pigeons up there, this has to be corrected somehow. Otherwise I think this has turned out great although it looked a little strange having it sit empty at last night's New Year's Eve bash. There must be a way to produce the show so that it integrates that space into the program.

Can someone explain to me why a temporary stage is going up for New Year's Eve when the permanent stage is 99% done?

I'm sure I see 4 or 5 pigeons up there, this has to be corrected somehow. Otherwise I think this has turned out great although it looked a little strange having it sit empty at last night's New Year's Eve bash. There must be a way to produce the show so that it integrates that space into the program.

It wasn't used because they didn't get it "finished" in time. It's a red tape thing. It's obviously finished and fit for use but it hasn't been signed off because of outstanding boxes that need to be ticked. Next year's NYE will use this stage and the crowd will be oriented E-W instead of facing north toward City Hall.

This will allow for a larger crowd with a good view of the stage. Where the stage has traditionally been, there will be bleachers from ground level straddling on to the green roof. The ramp can also be used. Given the size of the production for NYE, it's also possible that they'll add an extension to the front and sides of the stage in a catwalk style. This was all supposed to happen this year but seeing how slow work was being done, it was clear that they weren't going to make the production deadline despite the frantic yet hopeless last minute increase in work to get it done in time.

At least the temporary stage looked commendable this NYE with the floating cubes of programed coloured lights being an attractive stage design motif. Last NYE, the garbage bags taped together in the background were rock bottom. But I still don't think that Citytv produces the best possible NYE bash at NPS. It should bring together the city's top talent, even the country's considering that it's shown from coast to coast. We should see the likes of Drake, Metric, Rush, the members of Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire (if not all at once), and the hottest upcoming acts getting the top reviews. It could be more interesting than NYE Ball Drop at Times Square and shown around the world, showcasing the strength of Canadian culture. They should play energetic, exciting music, and not the dullest songs in their catalogue chosen if only for a celebratory theme. I love the idea of the NYE Bash, but it needs to be done in a way that doesn't leave you feeling bored at times throughout the show and in a way that makes the audience feel like they're watching something truly outstanding.

Here here. I haven't attended or watched the NPS NYE since I moved back to Canada a decade ago, and only attended it then because I remembered it from my childhood.

There should be a NYE committee at City Hall that hires producers who then hire talent and put the show together, selling the TV rights to the highest bidder. It could help fund improvements to NPS or other city owned public spaces.

Better fireworks too! Cavalcade of Lights puts on a better show than what happens at NPS on New Years Eve.

Back