Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Some quick shots to show the final touches being added to the stage such as lighting. As well, the lighting on the underside of the wooden railing that will run around the elevated walkway has been installed. The glass walls on the walkways should really lighten the look of the structures, especially at night. I hope all of these details will make NPS more of a people place at night than it is now.

IMG_1723-X2.jpg

IMG_1725-XL.jpg

IMG_1727-XL.jpg

Has anyone noticed that the finish of the wood on the skating building is fading quite quickly and unevenly? Is there any plan to remedy this?

Has anyone noticed that the finish of the wood on the skating building is fading quite quickly and unevenly? Is there any plan to remedy this?

The plan is for politicians to cut ribbons and then let things crumble to the ground. Toronto doesn't do maintenance.

Last edited:
Toronto definitely does not do maintenance. That's why I hate seeing nice things owned by the city. Just like the TTC. Gross dirty and slow transit that comes when it wants to, not when it's scheduled to. Parks that have not changed since the 70's or earlier. *sigh* Toronto needs pride!

Toronto definitely does not do maintenance. That's why I hate seeing nice things owned by the city.

So vote for politicians that want to spend the money. And don't bitch when they ask for it.

Toronto definitely does not do maintenance. That's why I hate seeing nice things owned by the city. Just like the TTC. Gross dirty and slow transit that comes when it wants to, not when it's scheduled to. Parks that have not changed since the 70's or earlier. *sigh* Toronto needs pride!

Agree/agree/agree - but not about the parks. Yes, many are not exactly awe inspiring but they are properly maintained, gardens are regularly tended to and annuals/perennials are planted or the gaps are filled in every year. There are a couple of parks (downtown) that have really taken a beating and been somewhat neglected, namely Queen's Park with benches that have been literally falling apart for several years, the shabby water feature and the embarrassing raised mudpit that the beautiful Edward VII Equestrian statue stands on. Otherwise we do have some nice parks and also some "serviceable" one's, which could certainly be better. If the City had more money and a strong leader with a vision for flipping the paradigm with regards to civic pride we'd be living in truly one of the world's great cities. Until then, we still live in a great city with so many terrific things happening despite some warts and questionable planning practices (I had to get that one in!).

Agree/agree/agree - but not about the parks. Yes, many are not exactly awe inspiring but they are properly maintained, gardens are regularly tended to and annuals/perennials are planted or the gaps are filled in every year. There are a couple of parks (downtown) that have really taken a beating and been somewhat neglected, namely Queen's Park with benches that have been literally falling apart for several years, the shabby water feature and the embarrassing raised mudpit that the beautiful Edward VII Equestrian statue stands on. Otherwise we do have some nice parks and also some "serviceable" one's, which could certainly be better. If the City had more money and a strong leader with a vision for flipping the paradigm with regards to civic pride we'd be living in truly one of the world's great cities. Until then, we still live in a great city with so many terrific things happening despite some warts and questionable planning practices (I had to get that one in!).
Haha, I knew you'd reply about the parks. I just knew it! I should have made a bet with someone.
I can't speak for parks outside the downtown core, as I don't really see much of Toronto besides that. Well and a bit east too around Riverside and Leslieville.
Grange and Moss Park have so much opportunity to be amazing. Apparently the new renovations at Clarence Square are nice.

Haha, I knew you'd reply about the parks. I just knew it! I should have made a bet with someone.
I can't speak for parks outside the downtown core, as I don't really see much of Toronto besides that. Well and a bit east too around Riverside and Leslieville.
Grange and Moss Park have so much opportunity to be amazing. Apparently the new renovations at Clarence Square are nice.

Yip, you should have bet some money! :) You know me and parks. Seriously though, come next spring or summer take a look at a few really nice spaces like St. James park, David Crombie park is not so much beautiful as it is well planned, well used and a true asset to the community, Allan Gardens & the parkettes that run from Charles to Dundonald Street east of Yonge (the former City parking lots). I haven't been in Grange Park for a couple of years but I always liked the vibe in there and it's a space (like College Park) just begging for rehabilitation. I'll stop there, I just realized I'm way off topic. Sorry!

David Crombie Park represents a triumph in my view. The 1960s was an era when parks seemed like something you could have anywhere to improve the community on any marginal piece of land, or something to isolate new development from the city, but they put the park right in the middle of the street, making it the public space a focal point with all eyes on the street and on the park. It seems to have clearly been informed by Jane Jacobs' urban theories criticizing the norms of planning and development in the 1950s and 1960s. The Esplanade feels grand through that part of the city. I wish we could build another such project, but have avenues-style development around it with vibrant retail. It would be more of a green public square.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why a temporary stage is going up for New Year's Eve when the permanent stage is 99% done?

Good to know. I was thinking of sneaking over there in the middle of the night with a big can of wood oil and wiping it down myself. I think that is all it needs periodically. I walk by it every day and it pains me to see it not being maintained properly. I'm a perfectionist....

Back