News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 754     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Toronto to experiment with prohibiting right turns on red at some intersections

The editorials in Toronto Sun are very good these days :)

I was reading some comments in the Vancouver Sun last week about the lane being removed for bike use and there were a lot of people against it. Most of the negative comments were not from drivers though, in fact... it was mostly pedestrians complaining because the sidewalk on one side of the bridge was going to be closed to them, for bikes to use. This would force pedestrians to cross traffic to get to the other side.

... it was mostly pedestrians complaining because the sidewalk on one side of the bridge was going to be closed to them, for bikes to use. This would force pedestrians to cross traffic to get to the other side.

Yes, cyclists should never assume that pedestrians side with them against motorists. Most pedestrians, if offered the choice, would ban cyclists as readily as they would motorists. (Heck, as a pedestrian, I'd be happy if we could at least get cyclists off the sidewalks!)

And I'm all for replacing cars with public transit. But it's short-sighted and emotional to try to restrict cars without first developing the transit with which to replace them.

Back