Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Hate to bump this awful project, but I wanted to point out that they haven't been clearing snow off of any of the sidewalks, in another show of how little they care for the neighbourhood.
what makes you hate this project so much

The one positive from this is the crazy density - it's one of the largest single buildings to go up this boom in terms of unit count with 1,586 units. the 3,000+ people that will live here will be a huge boost to the neighbourhood's vitality.

But yes, the architecture is ugly and the built form is extremely overbearing.

not sure the kolwoon walled city is something for 21st century planning and development should be striving for. As interesting as it was, QOL in it was crap from what I've read.

not sure the kolwoon walled city is something for 21st century planning and development should be striving for. As interesting as it was, QOL in it was crap from what I've read.

It was - that place was a piece of social curiosity in the absence of planning regulations, not a paragon of QoL by design.

AoD

I'd argue there are plenty of important lessons there. Kind of a moot point since it was the form that HPA seemed to be taking inspiration from, not the peace meal, plan-free method of construction. We both know the QoL in a Pemberton condo isn't going to be the same as that in the home-built, code-free assemblage that was KWC. In that vein, I'd say the closer parallel is Chungking (to which I'll be returning in October!).

I'd argue there are plenty of important lessons there. Kind of a moot point since it was the form that HPA seemed to be taking inspiration from, not the peace meal, plan-free method of construction. We both know the QoL in a Pemberton condo isn't going to be the same as that in the home-built, code-free assemblage that was KWC. In that vein, I'd say the closer parallel is Chungking (to which I'll be returning in October!).

I doubt this will be an analog of Chungking either - the context is just so different.

AoD

The one positive from this is the crazy density - it's one of the largest single buildings to go up this boom in terms of unit count with 1,586 units. the 3,000+ people that will live here will be a huge boost to the neighbourhood's vitality.

But yes, the architecture is ugly and the built form is extremely overbearing.

Built form/ land use is more important than the number people in promoting neighbourhood vitality. People tend to choose overbearing, inhospitable environment out of convenience. They may spend their social, leisure time elsewhere.

Built form/ land use is more important than the number people in promoting neighbourhood vitality. People tend to choose overbearing, inhospitable environment out of convenience. They may spend their social, leisure time elsewhere.
That is a fairly privileged take on it. Built form might serve existing residents well, but does nothing for the large swathes of people priced out of housing in this city, or for local shopkeepers that depend on walk-in traffic.

Back