Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Nice pics Marcanadian. They remind me that the real soul is at street level. So glad we preserve the older building stock!

I think this building has some really strong points, but there's also an element to it that comes across as just sloppy or unrealized. The bands on the side are inconsistent, even if finished (from what I can tell), the mechanical (won't beat that dead horse), the lining on the balconies could be tighter, etc.

Who know how long we will have to wait for the installation of the bands to be completed… hopefully they will be attending to the fixes and the additional pieces shortly…

but the bands have always been designed to be "inconsistent". That's not a flaw. They go off at different angles and are different widths. That's part of their "charm", and to my eyes that deviation from consistency brings visual interest, it ups the energy, and overall makes the building rather attractive. So for me, as opposed to being sloppy or unrealized, the inconsistency looks more finely thought out than if they were all the same, and in fact I'm not sure why that underlying design wouldn't be obvious to any observer. Not gettin' why you're not gettin' it.

I think the inconsistency he's referring to is not about the different thicknesses of bands, or the different angles, but the way that the segments of each individual band don't line up very well. You can see it up close that many of the pieces of glass are stepped, so that they create a jagged rather than a smooth line. It's an installation issue, not a design issue.

A clearer way to indicate that would have been to say incorrectly installed banding. That can be fixed and there's no reason to believe it won't be, it's just a matter of when of course, and I think we would all prefer that it be fixed yesterday. Since it wasn't fixed yesterday, hopefully it will be tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after that…

I would imagine it's unlikely to be fixed. It would take more time to fix it then it would have been to install correctly in the first place, it's not a structural defect, it won't be visible inside the units because the mullions are in the way, and they're close enough that most people just quickly glancing up won't notice. It's aggravating once you see it and know it's there, but I don't know that the average person would care that much.

There are piles of problems with the band installation at the moment though, both missing sections and misalignments. They're easily noticed. I imagine that the condo corp could and will refuse to accept their current condition. Why do you think they are not likely to be fixed?

There are piles of problems with the band installation at the moment though, both missing sections and misalignments. They're easily noticed. I imagine that the condo corp could and will refuse to accept their current condition. Why do you think they are not likely to be fixed?

Not only that, but I think leaving the project effectively unfinished would diminish the developer's reputation as far as executing future designs is concerned. This is supposed to be a show-piece product. It needs to at least look polished.

Here's why:

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/developer-of-anticipated-gotham-condo-building

Lamb is becoming notorious for piss-poor construction/trades management and it's catching up to him. What an absolute farce.

Last edited:

I'm an installer (not on this project), and for that kind of installation it would be easier to fix if they were off by several inches as opposed to off by quarters. The reason for that is that the brackets are drilled into place, so that if you move the bracket by a quarter inch you're just going to hit the old hole. Not to mention that they may not even be able to access the brackets, given that they're fastened to the inside of the mullion. They may have a little play in the fittings, but for what it costs to have a swingstage running (two men, at $75/hr each), and for how much time would be involved in making the adjustments, you'd be looking at an enormous labour cost to fix a non-critical issue.

And given the critical deficiencies that I've seen this particular supplier try to sweep under the rug, I just can't see anyone over there being all that upset over some steps in the bands.

Those misaligned and missing bands are critical deficiencies in terms of delivering a quality building. Sure, maybe some things have to be taken care of inside first, but until those bands are fixed, this building is not finished. There's no way they'll get away with not fixing it; it would be lawsuit time. Lamb is not going to want to have this looking crappy, prominently on the skyline forever, this would be a reputation ruiner if it's not fixed.

I think the inconsistency he's referring to is not about the different thicknesses of bands, or the different angles, but the way that the segments of each individual band don't line up very well. You can see it up close that many of the pieces of glass are stepped, so that they create a jagged rather than a smooth line. It's an installation issue, not a design issue.

This man knows.

But to elaborate on the balcony point I was making, it just bugs me that the bands running across the bottom of the balconies are different widths. It just looks messy, and worse, unintentional or overlooked. As to interchange's points about whether the installation problems on the bands themselves will be fixed, well, hopefully he's right. I look forward to it if that's the case.

Those misaligned and missing bands are critical deficiencies in terms of delivering a quality building. Sure, maybe some things have to be taken care of inside first, but until those bands are fixed, this building is not finished. There's no way they'll get away with not fixing it; it would be lawsuit time. Lamb is not going to want to have this looking crappy, prominently on the skyline forever, this would be a reputation ruiner if it's not fixed.

No, they aren't critical. It's not going to cause the building to fall down, it's not a structural deficiency, it's not going to cause water penetration through the building envelope, and again, many people won't even notice it. And again, given the critical issues they've pushed away on other towers I think it's highly unlikely that anyone over there is going to do a thing about those quarter inch steps in the glass.

This is the guy who is accepting the miss-matched glass colour right? I wouldn't hold our breath on the bands.

I think that if I were a potential purchaser, I would be saying"if they are that sloppy on surface stuff I can see, they are likely to have been slapdash on the underlying work I can't see." And I wouldn't buy.

If I were already an owner I would be worrying about both deficiencies and resale value. That will get out into the real estate community and bite Lamb in the hindquarters sooner rather than later. He ought to have a medium term interest in making this failure good.

Back