Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

IMG_0918.jpeg

Is it just me or does this project seem like it's flying along? BTW, put me in the camp of liking this design. This is the way you do balconies, conceal them with vertical elements. Balconies should disappear into the building. I understand the utility of balconies but they mess up the architecture so badly in most designs.

A construction management area report headed to the next meeting of TEYCC gives up this updated timeline:

View attachment 517433

So that report is all about the Construction Staging Area that Menkes needs to build The Whitfield, basically taking up the sidewalk along Front for 26 months, and moving the sidewalk itself onto the curb lane, protected by a concerte barrier and hoarding…

…except that based on thess pics from March 24 and April 1, 2023 by @evandyk and @mburrrrr, the staging area has been in place since the second half of March!

1679683352745-png.463892

21487f25-576f-4b19-b6d0-c56e10622deb-jpeg.465699

(I sure hope TEYCC approves it next week!)

PS - I've corresponded with Transportation Services about this: they are "working through a backlog", and this has (and I assume many other sites in the city have) been getting by on 30-day temporary permits ever since the lane closure went into effect. It begs the question, why formalize it at all? That would certainly relieve a burden on the report writers for something that the City is going to allow anyway, and it would mean, conversely, that the John Tory and Rob Ford starvation of City budgets that have prevented departments from hiring the number of staff they need to actually do this work in a timely matter… would finally be formalized. /s

So that report is all about the Construction Staging Area that Menkes needs to build The Whitfield, basically taking up the sidewalk along Front for 26 months, and moving the sidewalk itself onto the curb lane, protected by a concerte barrier and hoarding…

…except that based on thess pics from March 24 and April 1, 2023 by @evandyk and @mburrrrr, the staging area has been in place since the second half of March!

1679683352745-png.463892

21487f25-576f-4b19-b6d0-c56e10622deb-jpeg.465699

(I sure hope TEYCC approves it next week!)

PS - I've corresponded with Transportation Services about this: they are "working through a backlog", and this has (and I assume many other sites in the city have) been getting by on 30-day temporary permits ever since the lane closure went into effect. It begs the question, why formalize it at all? That would certainly relieve a burden on the report writers for something that the City is going to allow anyway, and it would mean, conversely, that the John Tory and Rob Ford starvation of City budgets that have prevented departments from hiring the number of staff they need to actually do this work in a timely matter… would finally be formalized. /s

I agree with you '42'.

However, I can link you to the reason it won't happen.........

Fees.....which are baked into the department's budget.

I agree with you '42'.

However, I can link you to the reason it won't happen.........

Fees.....which are baked into the department's budget.
The developers pay, whether it's a 30-day temp permit, or a long term one, but they do pay less for the long term ones... so yes, the City is not incentivized in that regard to get them onto the long term ones. I don't know how big the difference is between what they pay monthly vs long term/monthly, however, (anyone know?), but I can imagine the developers would want to be on long term ASAP, and they should probably be raising a stink about it.

I like an attractive, vibrant building in the city. Makes a huge difference. Thank you Menkes & arch. Giannone Petricone!! Can we please see more of this colour on TO’s streetscapes. Need more!!

Back