Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

There's even a "Jelly Fish Room" on P4 (according to the April 27 2018 drawing submitted for the SPA application).
Between the Jelly Fish Room and the Weeping Tile Cistern, there's some truly surreal stuff going on in the basement of the Well.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 11.40.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 11.40.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 11.40.45 PM.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 496
There's a lot of new stuff on the city site here - the plans for the underground are under the Site Plan Approval Dec 2016 folder

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...3504724&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

There are some slightly new/updated elevations in there for Buildings C, D and E

Aoo1GFU.jpg

kr3zqMf.jpg

Soooo sad in my opinion that they value engineered out the building curves from the previous designs. I honestly thought they made a great new community vibe with them and separated them from just more rectangles in the sky. I really wonder the thoughts of the people making the decisions sometimes on their "yup I like that, let's build it".
And for reference I am in the Architecture field, but don't get to make design decisions (Yet).

Sorry mini rant.

Cheers,

Soooo sad in my opinion that they value engineered out the building curves from the previous designs. I honestly thought they made a great new community vibe with them and separated them from just more rectangles in the sky. I really wonder the thoughts of the people making the decisions sometimes on their "yup I like that, let's build it".
And for reference I am in the Architecture field, but don't get to make design decisions (Yet).

Sorry mini rant.

Cheers,

It wasn't a simple VE decision. Ownership changed, the architects changed and the building went from thoughtful concept to reality. Not saying that the HPA towers *couldn't* have been constructed, but your simple take doesn't capture the reality of what happened / is happening here.

It wasn't a simple VE decision. Ownership changed, the architects changed and the building went from thoughtful concept to reality. Not saying that the HPA towers *couldn't* have been constructed, but your simple take doesn't capture the reality of what happened / is happening here.

I get that change in ownership and architects can and do affect the design. My comment (and personal opinion) was more along the lines of disappointment in general of most of the architectural designs in the city as being minor variations of the same rectangle. Just unfortunate is all for the city and for this project in particular as I had an excitement for the previous design.

I get that change in ownership and architects can and do affect the design. My comment (and personal opinion) was more along the lines of disappointment in general of most of the architectural designs in the city as being minor variations of the same rectangle. Just unfortunate is all for the city and for this project in particular as I had an excitement for the previous design.

Things cost money. Construction costs are flying through the roof. Zoning typically does not restrict or approve detailed building design. There are many, many, many more influences on the design of a building than just architectural preference or boldness.

The issue is that the renderings are what is presented to consumers. People in the industry may realize that the finished product very likely won't deliver on those images/models in the presentation centre, but consumers definitely do not. This may be how things are done but that doesn't make it ok. Things need to change. Developers will fight it tooth and nail but the City needs to grow a backbone and better protect the interests of buyers.

People who have bought units will be royally pissed when they see these new images .... and rightly so. Unfortunately they'll have no recourse whatsoever.

I wouldn't be surprised if new architects are purposely brought in once the units are sold to strip out many of the design elements consumers bought into. They have an incentive to do so but it's borderline fraud. They're ripping people off to line their own wallets.

Last edited:
Well that would be a great point except for the fact that units in this development haven't even started being sold yet.

Also only 3 of the towers will be condos - the other 3 are rentals.

Back