Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I would really like to see an explanation for why the utility thinks this is okay. They could have just relaid the pavers, it's not like they had to replace them. Is relaying them really that much more expensive than the asphalt patch? To me it seems like this is laziness and total disregard for the appearance of the public realm. "This is why we can't have nice things".

again, how are you sure that this is the final product? the cones are still out there, so theyre still working on it right?

But why even lay the asphalt at all? Shouldn’t they be able to replace the pavers once they’re done—and if that’s not current SOP isn’t it something they should be doing?

I would really like to see an explanation for why the utility thinks this is okay. They could have just relaid the pavers, it's not like they had to replace them. Is relaying them really that much more expensive than the asphalt patch? To me it seems like this is laziness and total disregard for the appearance of the public realm. "This is why we can't have nice things".

This is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

The City requires utilities to do a 'temporary' patch (asphalt) then the City is responsible for the permanent repair. But the City is something less than timely in delivering the latter, normally.

A very good explanation can be found in this column by The Fixer from 2022:

This is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

The City requires utilities to do a 'temporary' patch (asphalt) then the City is responsible for the permanent repair. But the City is something less than timely in delivering the latter, normally.

A very good explanation can be found in this column by The Fixer from 2022:

In the mean time the pavers were sent to the dump? This whole process is madness.

In the mean time the pavers were sent to the dump?

I hope not.

This whole process is madness.

But yes, it is, either way. We have an intentional process of break it, sorta fix it, break the fix, re-fix it.

Measure twice, cut once, replace paving material once would seem a much better use of resources.

Last edited:
Will they ever do it? I've seen sidewalks with aged asphalt patches.

Because it’s a cumbersome, absurd process, things do get lost (that's not an excuse, we should ditch the process);

The Utility has to notify the City the work is done (and patched) then the City puts it on a to-do list for their contractor. But those contracts go out to bid, have set schedules and budgets and when you run out of runway for the year, stuff gets bumped to the next year and next contract.

It truly is an asinine way to organize things.

Because it’s a cumbersome, absurd process, things do get lost (that's not an excuse, we should ditch the process);

The Utility has to notify the City the work is done (and patched) then the City puts it on a to-do list for their contractor. But those contracts go out to bid, have set schedules and budgets and when you run out of runway for the year, stuff gets bumped to the next year and next contract.

Geez just set up a google form that UTers have access to and we’ll do it.

City is so broken sometimes.

IMG_0647.jpeg

Who do we need to write/nag/badger to get this SOP re-written? Can we sic all of UT on them?

Who do we need to write/nag/badger to get this SOP re-written? Can we sic all of UT on them

I think there's a cap on the number of people I'm allowed to make hate this pseudonym.......... LOL

But...........

Back