Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

CCCCCOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!! and only cost. My dad always says, you would have a hard time just putting together a crew of truly skilled stone workers today, let alone having to pay them all. Precast is cheap in part due to materials, but also largely due to the fact it is not labor intensive. especially not skilled tradesman. Even wood workers are hard to find today, that can really do skilled work with regards to making a cabinet flush with a wall. Now imagine doing union trades, on a fifty story building??? Wheres that precast contractors number??? It's a shame but a fact, beaux arts, art deco, etc aint coming back.

Commerce court north baby!!!! Shes our star of the show!!

hate to say it, but shes not much of a star... pretty and all but as far as being recognized internationally...or at least by north americans i think its shadowed by the fairmont. commerce court is more tucked away

I quite forgot about the Royal York, it would be the star for sure, although, Commerce court is a wonderful, industrial aged giant. It's massing and girth would fit nicely on Wall st or on East 42nd st. I love CCN, and while not internationally famous, it stands the test of time, and is a testament to the skill and craftsmanship of our forefathers!!:p
Back to Uptown , does anyone here have a degree in architecture?? Do these people study these old towers???
A really clever lighting scheme will truly save this, an can make this a remarkable presence in the north end of downtown.

Last edited:
hate to say it, but shes not much of a star... pretty and all but as far as being recognized internationally...or at least by north americans i think its shadowed by the fairmont. commerce court is more tucked away

Tucked away *now*. But in all fairness, CCN and the Royal York earned equal billing in skyline presence and, at least from an architectural standpoint, international recognition (or lack thereof, given this was backwater Canada). And if it's advantage Royal York, it's more because (esp. viz. visitors to Toronto) we're talking about a premier hotel across from the central rail station vs a midblock office tower...

A really clever lighting scheme will truly save this, an can make this a remarkable presence in the north end of downtown.

It'll look best on a moonless night, with no lighting. :)

Wait til she starts popping up in photos,.... even just the lit windows against a black sky,... her slim, jazz age profile will seem soothing, yet noir, ( cue the mystery movie jazz now.:cool:)

Sorry if I'm being a downer, but when I see this building, it doesn't really bring to mind 1930 Manhattan. Closer to 2005 Dubai.

large_mystaygroup-rimal4-001-1287843728.jpg

large_mystaygroup-murjan269954-001-1287843634.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot, u will all appreciate this buildings profile in the end, and unless you live there, impact on the skyline is what I really judge a building by...I think you guys have gotten a little spoiled, living in a place where you can pick between 50 different projects. If this were one of only a handful, it would seem a nice addition. Its hard picking a girl to dance with when your at Hef's place, but in the real world, she's as pretty as most anyone at your local barn dance.

Bobboob. how can you compare, an urban neighborhood, to the dubai marina??? Those artificial neighborhoods, with there faux arabic flair, look like something from a genie in a bottle kiddie film. One tower, built with classic NYC setbacks, in a dense urban setting, makes Uptown appropriate for its location. Again the finishing touches are gonna leave something to be desired, but the profile is a classic form, and one that skyscraper geeks should relate too.... Thats all Im saying. :confused:
Ramako, there are alot of beautiful girl next door types at your average barn dance, just gotte wipe away a little dirt, and take the straw outta their mouth.

Last edited:

Back