Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

I am even more confused by Uptown's lagging sale performance. How come people can grab other poorly designed buildings in a matter of days or weeks, but leave Uptown hang in there for such a long time. Is that because of the reason you have raised? This market is quite irrational....don't you think?

Before I bought at CASA I had considered the Uptown as an option. I think the Uptown's a beautiful building, but I wanted to be surrounded by full glass walls and a large balcony.

I wonder if such a significant difference in style to all of the other new buildings has anything to do with slow sales?

Before I bought at CASA I had considered the Uptown as an option. I think the Uptown's a beautiful building, but I wanted to be surrounded by full glass walls and a large balcony.

I wonder if such a significant difference in style to all of the other new buildings has anything to do with slow sales?

It's true CASA has generous balconies and is situated at a superable location, a true Yorkville neighbourhood. The design is simple, but quite practical. I like 2-bed with 1-bathroom layout, and 1-bedroom in corner choice. You won't find these type of designs anywhere else. But it still couldn't explain why many other projects with mediocre design sold much faster than Uptown.

I has given Uptown serious consideration as well, but the slow sale scares me....there ought to be a reason. Besides, Uptown pricings are not that expensive. We shouldn't assume most purchasers are either cheap or with poor taste. How do you compare the price ranges asked by Uptown developer with CASA's? which one do you believe would have greater growth potential based on price the buyers already paid?

Who cares about slow sales@Uptown...'cuz this lump'o concrete is under construction (I chatted with a few construction workers--anyone want a job as a flagger for $30/hour? Sounds okay to me.:) The pit was getting deeper and out of respect for the workers I didn't get a shot of the pit, but, trust me, the beast is getting deeper and the crane is going in "soon" they said. Here's a few photos I took today:

How do you compare the price ranges asked by Uptown developer with CASA's? which one do you believe would have greater growth potential based on price the buyers already paid?

I don't remember exactly, but I think comparable units at Uptown were on average about $50,000 more than Casa.

As far as growth potential, hey, this is Yonge & Bloor... I don't think either will go wrong.

Uptown/Blu and Casa/BSN are great locations, each has a few positives and negatives. I agree with Casaguy, one can't go too wrong with either of these properties given their prominent locations. Charles Street East between Yonge & Church is much nicer and quieter than stinky, noisy, featureless Balmuto Street.

Looking at the first pic urbandreamer posted, I can't help but be dissapointed with how that street looks. Try posting it in "guess this city", people will probably name off suburbs. Who would've thought this was very close to the intersection of two of Toronto's most famous streets, Yound + Bloor?

However, I think these two towers have potential, and help make this street more pleasing to the eye. Uptown Residence is, afterall, my favorite project going up in T.O.

I believe sometime in the future the entire south side of Bloor from Balmuto to Yonge St will go highrise--further blocking any "views" (what views? It's yucky here!) from Crystal Blu/Uptown. Across the street is the dead and brutal concrete streetwall from Manulife Centre. Then there's those hideous brown slabs....

So yeah, nothing special about this location at all.

The sales at Uptown are not as bad as everyone here makes them out to be, I don't get it. They are over 90% sold which is not bad for a 284 suite building. They have 26 suites left available all of which are larger more expensive units. The starting price for whats left is $896,900 up to $2 million. Those obviously take longer to sell. What I don't understand is why anyone would be purchasing at One Bloor versus Uptown considering the price per square foot difference. I believe when I worked out the numbers I received, Uptown averaged somewhere around $710 a foot for the unsold inventory. One Bloor is almost double that! Doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing I hope, same as you guys it the execution mirrors the intent, as if this one is done properly it will be gorgeous! But if not, its going to hurt as it will be a very visible building in that location.

Looking at the first pic urbandreamer posted, I can't help but be dissapointed with how that street looks. Try posting it in "guess this city", people will probably name off suburbs. Who would've thought this was very close to the intersection of two of Toronto's most famous streets, Yound + Bloor?

However, I think these two towers have potential, and help make this street more pleasing to the eye. Uptown Residence is, afterall, my favorite project going up in T.O.

I couldn't agree with you more. Uptown is definitely the most elegant/sophisticated building in this five-year construction boom, including the high end ones, such as Four Seasons, Shangrila and Riz Carlton. Don't your guys agree?

The sales at Uptown are not as bad as everyone here makes them out to be, I don't get it. They are over 90% sold which is not bad for a 284 suite building. They have 26 suites left available all of which are larger more expensive units. The starting price for whats left is $896,900 up to $2 million. Those obviously take longer to sell. What I don't understand is why anyone would be purchasing at One Bloor versus Uptown considering the price per square foot difference. I believe when I worked out the numbers I received, Uptown averaged somewhere around $710 a foot for the unsold inventory. One Bloor is almost double that! Doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing I hope, same as you guys it the execution mirrors the intent, as if this one is done properly it will be gorgeous! But if not, its going to hurt as it will be a very visible building in that location.

Uptown has a taste of sophisication of Woolworth building in NY, plus its location, it will be one of the landmark in downtown TO. Maybe its high than normal pricing has deterred some of average joe buyers, but i definitely don't understand what are the selling points of Aura and 1Bloor. What peope has been crazy about?

....Uptown is definitely the most elegant/sophisticated building ... Don't your guys agree?

No.

But I think the main problem with the Uptown is that it completely landlocked on all sides. Since it was announced the Blu thingy was planned immediately to the south. There is a potential for that to happen to the east and North, leaving only the unencumbered views to the west, which are overshadowed by the larger Manulife. While this can happen over at 1 bloor, it will always have the views down Yonge and across Bloor.

No.

But I think the main problem with the Uptown is that it completely landlocked on all sides. Since it was announced the Blu thingy was planned immediately to the south. There is a potential for that to happen to the east and North, leaving only the unencumbered views to the west, which are overshadowed by the larger Manulife. While this can happen over at 1 bloor, it will always have the views down Yonge and across Bloor.

so you are saying as long as Uptown chose a less densely constructed location, you will consider it as the best?

I'd like to wait and see before I cast my judgment on this building. It has just as much chance of turning out great as it will horrible. The best thing it has going for it right now is how really slender it will be.

Can't wait to see this garbage 10 years from now when its covered in stained, chipping precast. Should be a real stand out alright!

Back