Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Feb 23
5474529581_5f68515971_b.jpg

5474541253_6659095084_b.jpg

5475138942_18986b6bda_b.jpg

You know, in full sun and at great distance, Uptown kinda works.

You just have to squint and tilt your head a little.. that's all.

I say give it a few years and let the precast age. It should lose it's cardboard look relatively soon.

Great photos drum118, especially the 3rd. Anxious to see if they can artfully light this up at night. I still maintain it has promise.

The thing is, just a little more effort and we would have a really nice looking building. It's good (with nice massing), but just a few more deco details would have made it a big hit for me.

The thing is, just a little more effort and we would have a really nice looking building. It's good (with nice massing), but just a few more deco details would have made it a big hit for me.

I agree, they really missed the mark here. Perhaps not so much by recreating deco details, they mostly just missed the details that could have made this so much more visually appealing.

They could have gone all out and brought on the art. But instead of 1930s carved stone, it could have been, for instance, abstract modern patterns. I agree with those comments about details like black frames around the windows which could have made it decent, not the underwhelming disappointment it is. It also makes me think of how much more appealing our glass towers could be with more experimentation with massing.

In the rain yesterday Uptown looked about 45 years old. The dark sheen from the damp plus the small windows on the side of the building made it look like it was a 60s era concrete box. It honestly felt like it pre-dated the Manulife Centre.

In the rain yesterday Uptown looked about 45 years old. The dark sheen from the damp plus the small windows on the side of the building made it look like it was a 60s era concrete box. It honestly felt like it pre-dated the Manulife Centre.

So....is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Which makes me wonder, whether or not, 100 years from now when this building has accumulated its redeeming dirt, grime and 'patina', there would be any mandate to clean it or restore it to its original 'glory'? Would be sort of ironic.

Back