Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

Though the concern that this will just end up looking like every other glass box being built these days is valid.

Core can do such great work, I hope that they find a less generic look for this by the time the working drawings are being prepared. The whole of the building does not have to be so lifeless and inelegant just to set the rather glam street realm off.

Hopefully this flat rendition is only massing studies to show development potential. Core designs usually offer much vision when given the opportunity to explore creativity.

This one is at the Design Review Panel meeting at City Hall on Tuesday May 21st, 2013 @ 3:00 p.m. for anyone interested in attending.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5G 1V2

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 13 214855 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Aug 2, 2013

Project: Multiple Unit Building Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 37 sty + mechanical penhouse residential addition with 453 residential units on existing 18 sty commercial building, 3 additional below grade parking levels under 2 existing parking levels, 2 sty + atrium side addition (East side), interior alterations throughout, and replace facade on existing building.

Am I reading that right? They're going to dig out three extra storeys of parking under the existing building? That can't be cheap.

Does the City design panel have the authority to tell the architects to come up with a new design (sorry, I'm new to this)? If so, I hope they do. This is probably the most glass boxish looking project I've seen in a long time. The architects didn't even try to hide it with elaborate balconies or anything.

The Design Review Panel's comments are linked two comments above yours.

There's another thread for it. This isn't the place…

Back